Ronaldo has retired.

Caporegime
A living legend.

One of my all time favourite players, fantastic to see him play in his prime and a really sad day for football, it's lost one of it's all time greats.

Associate
Awesome player. One that made the game from a forwards perspective look so very simple.

Had the skills and technique but a lot of the time, he just used sheer power and speed, dropped the shoulder and waltzed through world class defenders.

Soldato
At his peak, the best striker in the world, by far, and possibly the most complete that I've ever seen. Power, pace and skill in abundance.

If his legs hadn't gone, and he hadn't gotten fat and lazy, he'd probably still be banging them in for a top side. 352 goals in 515 games is crazy.

Caporegime
OP
*awaits closure of thread :p*

We should be okay really as he didn't play for United :p

Great player, I know he "enjoyed life" as it has been put, but I also heard that the drugs he was on towards the end of his career made him put on lots of weight (drugs to help him play not for his own personal use :p)

Permabanned
Legend.

Will never forget that hat trick that destroyed MU at Old Trafford, he received a standing ovation and rightly so.

Caporegime
Imagine that stat if he hadn't let himself go... it boggles the mind.

:D

Its pretty damn harsh to say he let himself go. Chronic injury's and pain screw you up. Its likely to keep playing as long as he did and he was training very very little, kind of like King, to prevent pain/injury between games and to let his joints rest between games.

34 year old with his knee issues I'd be pretty sure he didn't let himself go but was just barely hanging in there till his body couldn't do it anymore.

ANyway, a proper legend, ridiculously good striker, power and physical strength combined with speed, but a superb touch and ability to go with it. Absolute shame his best years were ripped apart by injury, but says a lot about the guy he kept coming back after such big layoffs and such bad injuries.

Frankly its amazing he got to 34 before retiring.

daz

daz

Soldato
Look up his scoring record on wiki, it's absolutely amazing.

He's done well to keep going for so long despite his injuries.

Associate
Its pretty damn harsh to say he let himself go. Chronic injury's and pain screw you up. Its likely to keep playing as long as he did and he was training very very little, kind of like King, to prevent pain/injury between games and to let his joints rest between games.

34 year old with his knee issues I'd be pretty sure he didn't let himself go but was just barely hanging in there till his body couldn't do it anymore.
He was put out to pasture long ago DM, I was referring to when age wouldn't really have the majority factor in his 'downfall'.

Caporegime
OP
He often mentions Sir Bobby as a very big influence on him. Comes across as a really top guy, also nice to read about what Sir Bobby said about him in FourFourTwo.

I'm really sad to see him retire :(

Associate

Great game, great player.

First and last goals of the hat-trick are brilliant - although I remember being disappointed at the time when Barthez let the first one past him at his near post.

Second one despite being great teamwork still smacks of clueless defending. :o

Associate
He's alleging that AC provided him with drugs that are illegal in football and that these caused a hyperthyroid condition which has given him varicose veins and slowed his metabolism down. This is what's making him fat.

I'd imagine that Italian authorities will be very interested to hear this, given that much of what goes on within the AC medical lab remains a mystery.

Associate
He's alleging that AC provided him with drugs that are illegal in football and that these caused a hyperthyroid condition which has given him varicose veins and slowed his metabolism down. This is what's making him fat.

I'd imagine that Italian authorities will be very interested to hear this, given that much of what goes on within the AC medical lab remains a mystery.

You referring to the likes of Maldini and Cafu?

Back
Top Bottom