Ronski's Solar & battery DIY build with whole house backup

Soldato
OP
4-Boxes.jpg

280ah-Eve.jpg

Soldato
OP
Yes the bottoms of the cells are still covered.

Cell-Bottoms.jpg

All the cells are physically good, there is no damage, only thing I have noticed is the terminals are welded on slightly crooked, some are worse than others though. I don't think this will cause any issues, as there is some leeway in the supplied busbars, but I may well use these flexible busbars - need to check hole spacing.

I've measured the voltage, and every cell is 3.295v, can't carry out any other checks as I don't have the equipment yet.

LF280-K-crooked-terminals.jpg

Soldato
OP
I've ordered 16, someone else in the thread ordered 8 for themselves and 8 for someone else.

One thing to consider if just going for battery storage is payback time, say you have a 14kwh battery, you fully charge it off peak at 7.5p per kWh, that costs you £1.05 to charge it, at the current rate, if you used that 14kwh instead of paying 30p per unit, it would save you £3.15. Probably easier to calculate pay back time though.

If you have a power cut, and draw more power than the inverter can supply it will trip and need resetting, which just means during a power cut you'll have to be careful, only problem I can foresee is unless you set up some kind of warning you wouldn't know there was a power cut.

As for the electrician, mine has said I can do the DC stuff, but he has to do the AC side of it, the tricky part is finding one thats OK doing that, and most don't get involved in solar, and most solar firms want to do a full install, be that just battery or battery and solar, and they want to fit what they want, not what the customer wants. If you're installing just a battery then you only need Part P certification, if you want paying for export currently you need MCS certification, and you only normally get that with a full install.

I've drawn the cell's and busbars, currently they don't seem to make the two that go across the pack - I'll probably need to crimp my own cable for that, or use solid ones. I've uploaded the cell to Sketchup warehouse, just search Eve LF280K.

PS If anybody spots an error in my cells order let me know - I think its correct.

Cell-Pack-with-Busbars.jpg

Soldato
OP
If you're on a capped rate you could switch to Bulb, they have an EV tariff (doesn't require an EV), I've just switched and I'm paying exactly the same rate, and when the time comes I'll switch to the EV tariff. Bulb may possibly be bought by Octopus. Unless changing to a fixed price contract most suppliers won't take you on.

Soldato
OP
Including the solar the panels the whole lot is at least £10k mark - I'm really hoping the electrician is kind to me as that's not yet costed.

If you took the panels, mountings and solar charge controllers out then that would save roughly £3.2k, but I am going with an inverter (Quattro 48/10000) that can supply 8kw and its an expensive make, so if you went with a smaller inverter you could reduce that a lot further. The 4kw one (Victron Multiplus II 48/5000) is £1272 inc vat.

Yes the battery will be about 15.5kWh

Soldato
OP
The shaded strings that are in parallel do not affect the voltage of the strings that are in full sun, so you have 2x 3 panels for your East strings and 2x 3 panels for your West strings, then use a pair of 4 to 1 solar branch connectors (about £15), plenty of info around that will confirm this for you if you are unsure. :)

I did find this on Victron site, which states two controllers is better

and this which ultimately comes to the same conclusion

Seems another of those situations where there is lots of differing opinions, so difficult to know which is correct, but two MPPT controllers will definitely work OK, just cost a bit more.

Soldato
OP
Yes., 3S2P. If you refer to the picture in the first post there is four rows of three panels, each row will be a string, the two strings facing east on one CC in parallel, the other two strings facing west on the other CC.

I put the relevant info into the Victron MPPT calculator, and it suggested the 150/45. Hopefully I did it correctly.

Edit. I'll correct the error in the previous post.

Back
Top Bottom