Ronski's Solar & battery DIY build with whole house backup

I was absolutely knackered last night, after spending the day installing a couple of roof rails, its certainly very sunny up there, as I got quite a bit of sunburn, will need plenty sun cream today, as its going to be even sunnier.

First row of hooks in.

2024-08-10-First-row-of-roof-hooks.jpg

The hooks have to spaced out so the hook doesn't rest on the tile below, so I've used some 5mm aluminium between the hook and rafter, there was also a hole in the felt, so I patched it in.

2024-08-10-Roof-hook.jpg

Likewise the back of the tiles have to be notched out, so that also clears the roof hook.

2024-08-10-Rear-of-tile.jpg

I got two rails installed yesterday, this picture and the next were taken at 18:36.

2024-08-10-Roof-rails.jpg

This picture shows the shading caused by the chimney, and next doors roof. There will be four panels in that area, in landscape, so the shading will only affect them later in the day, and they are on their own string in parallel with the other two strings, so won't affect them.

2024-08-10-Shading.jpg

I wasn't impressed with the rail joiner, so used that and made up my own much more substantial joiner, using 5mm aluminium and some left over rail clamps from the garage build, which fitted perfectly.

Well, its 10am, so best I go and get some more work done.

Last edited:
Got the third rail up, and also the cable entry done.

2024-08-11-Roof-rails.jpg

2024-08-11-Roof-rails-3.jpg

There's probably not many installers that do this correctly.

2024-08-11-Cable-xit.jpg

Another thing I forget to mention yesterday, is when installing the roof hooks, its very important to drill pilot holes, failing to do that could mean split roof rafters.

Not as much progress as yesterday, but I need to allow a full day for the top rail, in case I need to take the ridge tiles off.

Another thing I forget to mention yesterday, is when installing the roof hooks, its very important to drill pilot holes, failing to do that could mean split roof rafters.
Looking very professional. Its a pity those roof hooks have the rafter plates in that orientation, vertical would have suited a lot better and less risk of weakening the rafter as the fixings could have been spaced well apart.
So when is the chimney and unused TV aerial coming down Ron ;)

Last edited:
Looking very professional. Its a pity those roof hooks have the rafter plates in that orientation, vertical would have suited a lot better and less risk of weakening the rafter as the fixings could have been spaced well apart.
So when is the chimney and unused TV aerial coming down Ron ;)

They are done like that so the hook can be offset from the rafter to match curved tiles, which would increase the twisting motion of the bracket relative to the rafter, should probably have extra wood screwed to the rafter, but that probably doesn't happen often.

We still use the TV aerial, have a log burner as well, not that we use it.

Good work, I imagine it reminds you that crawling around on roofs is a young persons game!
Thanks, certainly is a young person's game, or at least someone who's a lot fitter than me, and with better knees - I'm mid fifties, with bad knees.

This weekends progress.

Got the top rail installed for the 8 panel array, which meant removing some ridge tile - if I didn't the roof hooks would be 300mm lower down and the panel overhang would be too much - how many solar installers remove ridge tiles????

2024-08-17-Ridge-tiles-removed.jpg

All four rails in place, although I need to square them and level them.

2024-08-17_four_rails_on.jpg

Made a start on the roof hooks for the 4 panel array, got the cable entry install, and 5 hooks in.

2024-08-18_4_panels_roof_hooks.jpg

I'll be glad when this bit is finished.

Good work.

Get some Wet and Forget on the roof before you put the panels up, it will bring it up nice and take off all the moss and liken

Last edited:
I presume you've used it and its good stuff? I've never heard of it before.
Yes, I used it on my garage roof which was absolutely covered in big chunks of moss and lichen. It took a few weeks to do its thing but it looks like roof tiles now.

I had a bit of a fail on my part as I forgot to order it when my main solar array was installed and scaffolding was up on the house which would have made treating it A LOT easier than now. Needless to say I haven't done it now.

Back
Top Bottom