Ronski's Solar & battery DIY build with whole house backup

Soldato
OP
Edit. Just noticed they have a Quattro 10000 dated 6 October 2022 - Awaiting assessment, perhaps a software update or something.

Actually the one waiting assessment states the following

Manufacturer's Compliance NotesFirmware update since previous version to meet LFSM-O requirements. The submission is in line with EREC G99 Issue 1 Amendment 8 and is fully compliant with the changes that apply from 01 September 2022 for electricity storage.

So I'm guessing its just a formality, and will be approved sometime soon again.

Associate
How did you work out the part number, Eurener don't seem to list part numbers on their data sheets. I'm looking at the MEPV 108 HALF-CUT ICON 420w as its only 2mm different from my dimensions - my frames are not adjustable, so don't want to fit an odd ball size just in case I need to change panels later on. Any idea what the Icon bit means, or is it just irrelevant naming?

We have an Edmundson Electrical in Canterbury, so I'll give them a ring tomorrow.
Hello Ron, I took the number from the dispatch notice when they all were delivered. When I ordered them over the phone they just said Eurener 410W Black, I then just googled them to get the manf PDF. That branch is in Peterborough and when I spoke to them they had ..or said had a delivery of 600, give yours a call and see what they say. those measurements are off the actually PV's I took. Let us know what happens when you call, worse case and if PB still have them in stock they might ship to you.

Soldato
OP
Hi John,

Just phoned Edmondson's, they can only do the 410w which you had, or the 450w, they order them by the container load so can't order just 12 panels. Price for the 410w is £143+vat and £15 delivery from Ashford, Kent.

I'm also waiting for the electrician to price up the panels, but I've been waiting for a long time now.

Ron

Associate
Hi John,

Just phoned Edmondson's, they can only do the 410w which you had, or the 450w, they order them by the container load so can't order just 12 panels. Price for the 410w is £143+vat and £15 delivery from Ashford, Kent.

I'm also waiting for the electrician to price up the panels, but I've been waiting for a long time now.

Ron
Hello Ron,

That sounds about right about ordering loads, they just got 600 in about 3 weeks ago. I forgot the chaps name I spoke with but can find out. Maybe we speak and discuss further but I know everywhere is going out of stock and company's that do have them are only selling them if they install the whole system which is joke really.

Soldato
OP
Had a couple of deliveries today, which actually ended up being just one, the other was delivered to a totally different company, luckily I could read the address on another parcel in the picture - Evri parcel lost!

As for the item I did receive, 40 x 8 tinned copper bar, 1 meter long.

Tinned-Copper-Bar.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Had to change the EGR valve on my car today, awful job to do with really fiddly bits, took about three hours, but once it was done I made good progress on the battery rack.

I've got three trays made, the base plate of the fourth is about a MM wider than it should be, so to play safe I'll take my belt sander to work on Monday, and make it the correct size.

As I've mentioned previously the sides of the rack had bowed when I welded the drawer rail mounts on, I'd left it clamped up over the last week with blocks at the top and bottom to space that futher apart, and big G-lamps in the centre pulling it together until it touched, so past the point of being straight. I removed the clamps today, but it was still bowed, not as bad as it was though.

So I resorted to heating various spots red hot, and then just letting it cool naturally, three spots took at bit more bow out of it, so another four spots were heated, and the result was.....

Straightened-Frame.jpg

If think its fair to say that's perfectly straight, here's the method I used, where would we be without YouTube ;)

I made and welded on the bottom feet, these have two bolt holes each side, where the rack will be bolted to concrete floor of the garage.

Tapped all the M5 threads in the drawer slide mounts, and fitted the three drawer trays.

Rack.jpg

Which all slide out very nicely, and reach 100% extension, each pair of drawer slides can take 100kg, good job as the 16 cells will weigh 85kg, plus the rest of the bits.

Rack-Tray-out.jpg

I still need to fit the cross and diagonal braces, which will stiffen the frame up, then its just a case of cleaning it up and painting.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The sides are 25 x 25 x 6.4 ally angle, bottoms are 5mm thick ally, nice and sturdy.

The slide rails have a quick release, so you can slide the third section out completely, but I won't be doing that when they are loaded, but it does make assembly easier.

Soldato
OP
In total, roughly about 100kg, but it's not like the trays will be constantly pulled out, more often whilst the battery is being built, but after that only for maintenance checks etc.

I'll weigh a tray once I get them home, and the other parts.

I could have gone with drawer slides that could take even more weight, but they got rather expensive.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm getting very close to ordering my Victron equipment and solar panels, I have the following prices, anybody aware of better prices please?

• Quattro 48/10000 £3119
  • SmartSolar MPPT 150/45 TR £345
  • Lynx Shunt VE.can £325
  • Lynx Power In £135
  • Cerbo GX £264
  • JA Solar JAM54S30-395/MR Black Frame Half Cell Solar PV Panel £147+VAT each (£150+VAT delivery charge)

I've decided to use the Lynx Shunt just for neatness, and the Cerbo GX over a PI as its also neater, and just more straight forward.

I sourced some new breakers for the battery rack, I've gone with ZJ Benny, they are "no polarity", hopefully they are a good make, SolarEdge actually suggest using their SPD's in one of their documents, so hopefully that means they are good.

I've received two BEP T class fuse holders, also a Victron isolator for the inverter, but still plenty of other bits to be purchased though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm getting very close to ordering my Victron equipment and solar panels, I have the following prices, anybody aware of better prices please?

I'll double check but if you are getting the Inverter/GX from ZHB then they are by far the best prices I have seen, although there was a 48/15000 for £3.4k at Nomad, but it was gone within a few days sadly.

Are the panels you are getting via EE?

Soldato
Yes I do wonder, probably just screwed into plasterboard as well :eek: I'll watch the video tonight.
His shelves are screwed directly into the studs in the framework. Believe me, this guy takes no short cuts and over engineers everything he does…….hes built his whole house, garage, apartment above the garage and an extension. Hes also a pastor/vicar

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hes also a pastor/vicar
At least his shelves won't fall off the wall as an act of God then ;)

His shelves are screwed directly into the studs in the framework

That's good, too many people wouldn't of, but still a lot of weight for wooden shelves. You may have noticed I over engineer things as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
At least his shelves won't fall off the wall as an act of God then ;)

That's good, too many people wouldn't of, but still a lot of weight for wooden shelves. You may have noticed I over engineer things as well.
They are only 100ah lifepo4 batteries, they weigh around a 10kilos each and he has around 16 of them i think. So not really that heavy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom