Roof boxes

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Say whaaat?! Car boot?

TBF I don't really want used, and I'm hoping to get a few more weekends away with the kids before the weather changes :)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
So been to halfords... the XL is huuuuuge. Will hang over the front of the car by a good two hands if I have it flush with the boot open.

So the M appears to be a better size at 40cm shorter and only 100L less.

What's this about buying the bar and then the feet and then the fixing kit?! Jeees!

Edit: cheapest M I can find is more expensive than the new XL on ebay... hmm... what to do? Does it matter much if it overhangs the front a lot?

Last edited:
Soldato
We got a box last year to go away when we had two dogs. It's a Thule Ocean 80 (320l). The bars are just universal aero roof bars, but work / fit perfectly well.

Now we use it whenever we go anywhere abroad and need a bit of room. I leave the box connected to the bars, so it only takes a few minutes to whip on and off. Means we can have the boot full of body boards, scooters and kids toys - and the suitcase, beach towels etc all go up top.

2008RoofBox.jpg

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Nice :)

I went ahead and grabbed the new XL off ebay - it's the halfords Ebay account haha, didn't realise. £431.95 all in for a 500l motion xt.

Looking at the bars on roof rack.co.uk they say

Existing Thule Customers

If you wish your order to be supplied with a particular Thule lock number, please enter this here e.g. N123

Which I'm assuming means I can have the same key work on the bars and the box. Convenient, but one level less security... saying that, both keys would be on the same ring anyways hah!

Gonna splash out on the wingbar edge as I'm gonna be running this car until it's last breaths anyway :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've never heard of anyone stealing/breaking into a roof box. But I know a few people who wouldn't think twice about taking a bag to shift for some funds.

So offer them a lick and get one cheap? You can do an unboxing video to find out what's in it and make the money back with dem views$$$$$$$ fam.

Soldato
Am looking for a roofbox for a Seat Tarraco, however.................

• only needed for a week in October
  • car is a lease and so will be going back in 12 months.
Any idea what i need as i am a completed noob wrt roof boxes! Although Thule seems to be the best.

Anyone in Lincolnshire who could loan me one for a week or does anyone know a place that allows you to rent a box for a week (fnar! fnar!)

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I went ahead and grabbed the new XL off ebay - it's the halfords Ebay account haha, didn't realise. £431.95 all in for a 500l motion xt.
'Tis huge!

wLFSTqK.jpg
:D

Now to figure out where these lock numbers are...

Edit: can't even find the keys to unlock the damn thing! Haha it can wait until tomorrow...

Edit again: Found the keys, ordered some black thule edge bars with matching locks. Sorted!

Thanks all for the advice, appreciated:)

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Ooooh I want me one of these:

B3PqGEE.jpg

But will need to buy a new house with a garage for that hah :D #sooncome

Edit: Heeeyyyy I've got a new avatar!! Been a while! :)

Soldato
I made a hoist into the roof of the garage. With a rope that goes around it.

We've had a montblanc box (320l) for years. However I couldn't find the closed rail feet to replace the old ford focus bolt into roof feet. So in the end I replaced the old whistle at 50+ square roof bars with some Thule aerobars and closed rail feet. Still has wind noise but that's a given considering the size of the box. The montblanc grey has faded to a green colour (it's been in the garage and out of sunlight for most of it's life).

The main thing with roof boxes is the difference between mounting location of the foot/bar and the separation supported by the roof box itself. On the focus, I had to drill an additional set of holes in the box to extend the range of the box spacing by a bout an inch. The Peugeot 3008 SUV has more forgiving spacings for the feet, however the roof curve of the ralls means you still need to keep the front of the box forward.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I made a hoist into the roof of the garage. With a rope that goes around it.
Nice idea :)
The main thing with roof boxes is the difference between mounting location of the foot/bar and the separation supported by the roof box itself
All I've seen about these thule motions is the slide track the mounting points are on so fingers crossed it's all nice and smooth.

Edit. Deleted. Wrong Nick :D Hi @Nick1881

Last edited:
Soldato
How much wind noise then ? ... is this like having the window down an inch at 60mph, or being in plane
... in that respect does its forward/backward position or bars make a big difference.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Edit again: Found the keys, ordered some black thule edge bars with matching locks. Sorted!
Bars arrived and have now been assembled

g22msC2.jpg

Will put them and the box on the car tomorrow if I get a chance, see how they fit :)

Soldato
Bars arrived and have now been assembled

g22msC2.jpg

Will put them and the box on the car tomorrow if I get a chance, see how they fit :)

Same as mine (I have silver). Adjustment is easy and they work - the only issue, as I've said) is matching the box mounting points and where the car manufacturer states it should be without having the box at an angle.

Can't type for toffee
Don

LOL I came here to post exactly that xD
Make sure to lock them up haha, mind you saying that on more than one occasion I've been looking everywhere for me keys.
Keep forgetting The fact that you cant remove your key without it being locked lol

As for storage Im lazy... just stays on top of the car full of "adventure" stuff just in case lol

I've got 2 bike racks ont he boot so ended up with a Thule ocean 600.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DW83WNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got it for £140 from amazon and it fits nicely on the roof with plenty room for both bike racks - Thule 591s

Soldato
Thread hijack, but kind of relevent.

I've got a Thule ocean 200 which is around 13kg and can support 50kg load. This is on Evo wingbars.

If I push it to one side of the car there is enough room to fit a single bike carrier.

Max roof load for the vehicle is 75kg... Is there anything wrong with this?

Reason I ask is there is 1/2 and 3/4 boxes that talk about sharing with a bike carrier but not mentioned in relation to the 200 ?

It'll mean the box isn't flush centre but given the other 1/2 or 3/4 ones aren't, can't see the issue?

Back
Top Bottom