1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Root filesystem has become read-only

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by englishpremier, Dec 6, 2019.

1. englishpremier

Soldato

My Raspberry Pi sd card recently became full causing a system crash. Since then it has been read-only. I gathered that the sd card was now at the end of its life, so did a 'dd' image of it and put the image on a new card.

When the Pi boots (Raspbian Buster), it seems even with the new card the root filesystem is mounted as read-only.

There is nothing wrong with the sd card, I can mount it in another system and it has full read-write capabilities, so the problem seems to lie with the image. I have ran an fsck and didn't find any errors, and manually remounting it will restore write privileges, but I need it working at boot.
    Any suggestions on how to fix this?

2. Sp00n

Capodecina

What's in /etc/fstab

3. AHarvey

Sgarrista

It's odd as I have an SD card that works in my D810 but I can't format/edit anything on it in Windows or Linux. Camera can't format it it either but can still write to it.

Can you set write privileges then make a backup of the system, then try writing that to an SD card?

4. englishpremier

Soldato

fstab was completely blank for some reason.

In the end I gave up and just started with a fresh installation. Since the guys on the Raspbian forums didn't have an answer I figured it wasn't worth bothering with.