Royal Mail, new size guide

Soldato
Just thought I'd start a thread to vent at Royal Mail's decision to start charging significantly more for the same service.

I expect this is going to make eBay more complex, and expensive

Soldato
the point is it will hit smaller retailers much harder. Your local PC shop who is already struggling to cope with postal charges will find it more difficult to ship items compared to giants like Amazon who can negociate nice flat rates with shipping companies.

Don't know about UK but here in Europe online shops have started opening small depots where people can collect items to save on shipping. Anyone heard from OC how it will affect their shipping?

before hand Dvds games and such could use a couple of 1st class stamps now it's per weight which means a trip to the post office.

Soldato
TBH, its not totally unexpected, and probably about time really, it must have been costing them a fortune to ship huge boxes for £2.80 just because they were light. Still take up as room in a van, no matter what the weight.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Royal Mail should be kissing eBay's hairy beanbags then...
Could it be the sudden proliferation of parcels that has caused their costs to increase? A van full of packages must cost a lot more to deliver than a bag of letters.

Associate
I would have expected the price of a 'normal' letter to be reduced though, surely the old system was a catch all with the price of a 1st class stamp pulling in the slack.

Of course, when these things are introduced, nothing is ever reduced in price, only increased....

Soldato
Whats all the fuss about?

Most of the prices are going down, it's only the larger parcels which get the price rise, and rightly so.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Mr.Orb said:
Still if someone gave you 32p and said take this letter to the other side of the country you would tell them where to stick it.
Yes but I don't have a national network of vehicles and buildings whose sole purpose is to move mail around the country.

Soldato
OP
Tru said:
Could it be the sudden proliferation of parcels that has caused their costs to increase? A van full of packages must cost a lot more to deliver than a bag of letters.

Surely it would work in the opposite manner... economy of scale?

I'd rather the hypothesis that Royal Mail decided that if they make people think that 'bigger = more expensive' then they could charge more for bigger parcels rather than for weight alone...

I think its just Public Transport system like when Ken bumped prices

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Royal Mail should be kissing eBay's hairy beanbags then...

Technically yes, but they demand at which ebay took off was so great no one could predict that the shock to the postal system would be so great.

In another few years when they have increased their capacity they might start to thank ebay but atm its the poor sod with the post bag full of other peoples ebay crap who is suffering.

KaHn

Soldato
SiD the Turtle said:
But if I gave you a thousand letters which would fit in the same van?* :p

*I have no idea how many letters you can fit in a van

Well there's 25 letters in a bundle each with a average weight of maybe 20grams. 11kg in a bag, so that's 550 letters per bag.

Next question is how many bags can you fit in a van :p

Back
Top Bottom