Rtx 2070 broke?!

Associate
Hi guys. Im new to the forum but i hope you guys can help. I have just done my monthly service on my pc aswell as taking my RTX 2070 apart for a clean and new thermal paste and thermal pads. I have done this multiple times with no problems but after putting it back together it is no longer working.

My pc will boot up with no problems but the GPU will display a signal for about 5 seconds and all of a sudden will ramp the fan speed to what sounds like 100% and will then stop displaying a signal but the pc will continue running if i let it.

I have taken it back apart since and put it back together making sure everything is plugged in properly. I have had to build this pc and do not have the luxury of putting a diffirent GPU in my system.

My pc specs:
Intel core i3 8100
Gigabyte windforce rtx 2070
Asus prime z370-a
16gb corsair vengence pro rgb
Aero cool mx600w psu

I hope this is enough info to give somone an idea of what's going on. Hope you guys can help. Cheers

Associate
OP
Hi
I have given the pcie slot a blow out with some air and looking from pictures that i took the thermal pads appear to be in the correct places and all seem to be sitting flush and properly?

Associate
OP
Hi
I have given the pcie slot a blow out with some air and looking from pictures that i took the thermal pads appear to be in the correct places and all seem to be sitting flush and properly?

Soldato
Nothing causing a short from refitting or a wire nipped somewhere? I've never had a GPU apart but just thinking back to other electronic issues I've had.

Associate
OP
From what i can see and how careful i take it apart nothing seems out of the ordinary. I dont really know any other ways of checking other then putting a volt metre onto things but i dont have one. Just a little bit of a bumer really as i didn't see this coming. Any other ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

Soldato
Apologies, I forgot to say welcome to the forum by the way.
I'll have a think but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will pop in shortly.

Associate
OP
I will give it another look. It seemed that it was as the thermal paste was squished. Will give it another look and update you. Thanks for the idea!

Associate
OP
Displaying for a few seconds then ramping fans sounds an awful lot like thermal runaway. Are you sure your cooler is making good contact with the die?
Ive just put fresh thermal paste on and put everything back together and back apart and the paste looked well covered over the chip.

I am wondering if the thermal pads i am using are any good as they are from a company called Adwits. I only brought these as they where cheap and amazons choice for thermal pads.

Soldato
It's very important all the thermal pads are the same thickness as the original ones. There might have been several thicknesses installed too.

Did you check that when you ordered/fitted them? A too-thick pad will stop other components being in contact with their cooling areas. A too-thin pad will mean that component won't touch the cooling element.

Associate
Am I missing something, monthly service on your gpu to change the thermal pads etc? :confused:

I was thinking the same, I'd never dream of taking apart a £500 item this often when it's not required, I'd be bricking it that I'd break something. Golden rule: If it's not broken, don't fix it!!

Man of Honour
Taking apart a gpu monthly to give it a clean and replace thermal paste and pads is almost as ridiculous as powering a £480 gpu with a cheap and nasty £35 psu. Either the stripping down and reassembly has gone badly wrong or the psu could have killed it. There is a chance that your replacement thermal pads are not thick enough to make contact with the vrm's which is then instantly putting the card into thermal protection. Thermal pads have to be exactly the same thickness as the originals. All you need to do when cleaning a gpu is clean the fans with a small brush and give the heatsink a blow to clear out dust. If you pc get's that bad on the inside get some dust filters for your case. Now you are at the mercy of a RMA.

Associate
Thermal paste / pads should be good for at least 3 years, cleaning your PC by blowing out dust should be done at least once a year, anything more than that would be OCD kicking in.

What kind of thermal paste did you use? I would try a better brand of pads also.

Associate
OP
I shouldve been more clear sorry. I had only originaly taken it apart to clean out the fans and the rest of the dust that will normally get into the card. I had then put it back into the system thinking everything would be fine as it normally is. It was only due to this happening i have taken it all apart

Associate
OP
It's very important all the thermal pads are the same thickness as the original ones. There might have been several thicknesses installed too.

Did you check that when you ordered/fitted them? A too-thick pad will stop other components being in contact with their cooling areas. A too-thin pad will mean that component won't touch the cooling element.
thanks for that info i think this may be the problem as the pads i brought where 3 diffirent thicknesses. I am curently in the process of talking to the local pc as i can show them in person

Associate
OP
Thermal paste / pads should be good for at least 3 years, cleaning your PC by blowing out dust should be done at least once a year, anything more than that would be OCD kicking in.

What kind of thermal paste did you use? I would try a better brand of pads also.
I am very ocd when it comes to keeping my things clean. The thermal paste i am using is one from cooler master and the thermal pads i am using are from a brand called adwits.

Associate
OP
Taking apart a gpu monthly to give it a clean and replace thermal paste and pads is almost as ridiculous as powering a £480 gpu with a cheap and nasty £35 psu. Either the stripping down and reassembly has gone badly wrong or the psu could have killed it. There is a chance that your replacement thermal pads are not thick enough to make contact with the vrm's which is then instantly putting the card into thermal protection. Thermal pads have to be exactly the same thickness as the originals. All you need to do when cleaning a gpu is clean the fans with a small brush and give the heatsink a blow to clear out dust. If you pc get's that bad on the inside get some dust filters for your case. Now you are at the mercy of a RMA.
Thanks for that info. I now think it is down to the thermal pads i have brought. I am currently in contact with the local pc shop and will get them to have a better look as i am no longer going to mess with it. Thanks for your info

Back
Top Bottom