Rtx 2070 broke?!

Soldato
Does anyone know if i can buy the exact thermal pads used from the factory?

Pretty sure only Gigabyte would be able to provide you with the exact ones, as even if you find out which factory they're unlikely to send an individual a small handful of pads. It's not necessary though, as long as you find out the right sizes and where they go, or take a good shot at it.

This is a tear-down of the Windforce 2070 with stock thermal pads:

O5Wg585.jpg

The three thermal pads to the left have a lot less indentation than some of the pads to the right, so should be thinner and indeed look to be thinner. The others to the right look to be thicker and I've marked one as number "6" because that could be the problematic one (although there are other possibilities). The indentations on number 6 are so deep that if you happened to use an even thicker pad there, it would keep some pads elsewhere from making proper contact. You can see that even with stock configuration, pads 1 and 3 have very little indentation already.

You could tear-down your own GPU and check to see whether any pad is missing even slight indentation. And then go from there.

Associate
OP
Pretty sure only Gigabyte would be able to provide you with the exact ones, as even if you find out which factory they're unlikely to send an individual a small handful of pads. It's not necessary though, as long as you find out the right sizes and where they go, or take a good shot at it.

This is a tear-down of the Windforce 2070 with stock thermal pads:

O5Wg585.jpg

The three thermal pads to the left have a lot less indentation than some of the pads to the right, so should be thinner and indeed look to be thinner. The others to the right look to be thicker and I've marked one as number "6" because that could be the problematic one (although there are other possibilities). The indentations on number 6 are so deep that if you happened to use an even thicker pad there, it would keep some pads elsewhere from making proper contact. You can see that even with stock configuration, pads 1 and 3 have very little indentation already.

You could tear-down your own GPU and check to see whether any pad is missing even slight indentation. And then go from there.
Thank you for the help. My local pc shop said they may have a windforce rtx 2070 they could use to take the thermal pads from. Fingers crossed i can get it up and running again soon. Very much appreciate you taking the time to message. Thanks bud!

Soldato
Thank you for the help. My local pc shop said they may have a windforce rtx 2070 they could use to take the thermal pads from. Fingers crossed i can get it up and running again soon. Very much appreciate you taking the time to message. Thanks bud!

Cool. It's best to use new unsquashed pads though. But if it gets your GPU working, well and good. Nice of your local shop to do this. You're welcome.

Associate
Anything wrong with the graphics card they have in shop? Don't understand why they would remove the thermal pads from one card to another. All they need to do is use the card as a reference to work out what size pads are required and then place new pads on your card.

What do people do if they go from a stock air cooler to a water cooler? and then decide to go back to the stock air cooler?

Have you tried contacting the manufacture? they might send out some thermal pads.

Associate
OP
Anything wrong with the graphics card they have in shop? Don't understand why they would remove the thermal pads from one card to another. All they need to do is use the card as a reference to work out what size pads are required and then place new pads on your card.

What do people do if they go from a stock air cooler to a water cooler? and then decide to go back to the stock air cooler?

Have you tried contacting the manufacture? they might send out some thermal pads.
Hi. The card they originally where going to use was a faulty card from what i was told but the repairs guy is on holiday at the moment unfortunately.

Would i be able to just contact gigabyte in regards to getting thermal pads from them or is there another way i would have to go about it?

Soldato
Would i be able to just contact gigabyte in regards to getting thermal pads from them
be wary of contacting gigabyte directly as i imagine you'll be more or less notifying them that you plan to invalidate your warranty (i assume they don't allow modification to the stock parts)

on a side note, as mentioned above, i wouldn't be powering a 50 quid gpu with that psu never mind a ~500 quid one.

Associate
wow. Im OCD, and an engineer by trade - I over engineer everything but jebus. Monthly PC maintenance...... Yearly at best and NEVER take a GPU apart... EVER. If it works, dont mess. Air blow fans Iinc GPU ones) and inside the PC with an air duster (While its all in situ but power off), same for dust filters and thats all you should be doing - again on an annual basis unless your in a very dusty environment.

Soldato
Symptoms definitely sound like something lacking cooling and overheating.
Most likely some VRM component.
Hopefully it's nothing more serious.

I am very ocd when it comes to keeping my things clean.
Would be time to expand that OCD to other area.
That PSU is very out of place with Nvidia expensive graphics card.
Older PSUs from that brand aren't anything else than total cheapos.
And most of their current range seems to belong to same category.

This would be surely about light year better.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...650w-80-plus-gold-power-supply-bg-0ac-bx.html

Soldato
Monthly PC service? Why? All you need to do is clean the filters a few times, bash dust out, that's it, 2 min job, unless you have a really crappy case?

My PC is dust free inside, the fans spin, only requirement to EVER go in there is if installing something new.

Back
Top Bottom