• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3050 - starting at $249 (msrp)

Soldato
Since when? All the lower tier AIB cards have been discontinued in favour of higher end more profitable models which also got price hikes.

FE’s are zero margin/loss leaders for marketing and hype. I’ve got one, it’s a great card but I am under no illusion that Nvidia actually made any money from the individual card directly.

Associate
Well miners will love these if £300 to £350 as is a cut down 3060 chip these will do about 38MH/s @ around 80Watts :p;)

if sub £300 I'll have 10:D:cry:

Last edited:
Associate
Since when? All the lower tier AIB cards have been discontinued in favour of higher end more profitable models which also got price hikes.

Some of the retailers are in a partnership with manufacturers, So usually they can buys stuff cheaper and get extra profit.

Because for example 600quid for 3070 is still a good deal isnt it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Some of the retailers are in a partnership with manufacturers, So usually they can buys stuff cheaper and get extra profit.

Because for example 600quid for 3070 is still a good deal isnt it?

I think your post is largely driven by assumption rather than reality.

AIBs have no incentive to give ‘good deals’ to retailers to make extra margin when supply is significantly lower than demand. That just isn’t how basic economics works, particularly when they could just sell them to someone else for more. Good deals tend to come about when there is surplus stock that needs shifting.

In reality AIBs are taking extra margin as are wholesalers and retailers. That all results in a much higher price.

Associate
I can't believe some people are thinking AMD did the gamers a favour by releasing a card with 4Gb only. That is probably the biggest bs i read in this generation. We curse Nvidia for selling cards with 8gb-10gb of vram and then we praise AMD for releasing a 4gb card. :D
If they wanted their cards to reach the gamers, they would had found ways to lock the cards to only work when one card is present in the system, no matter how much Vram it has.

Soldato
I can't believe some people are thinking AMD did the gamers a favour by releasing a card with 4Gb only. That is probably the biggest bs i read in this generation. We curse Nvidia for selling cards with 8gb-10gb of vram and then we praise AMD for releasing a 4gb card. :D
If they wanted their cards to reach the gamers, they would had found ways to lock the cards to only work when one card is present in the system, no matter how much Vram it has.

You can't mine Ethereum on 4 GB which should mean there's something available to buy. Or at least a bit easier to get a hold of.

Associate
Most interested to see how this compares to the 1060 6gb. This was the most, or one of the most prevalent cards in the most recent Steam survey so if it's not faster than that it's not going to help the vast majority of people!
Found it very interesting that the nVidia graph we see everywhere compares the card to 3 others but not the 1060.

Associate
Most interested to see how this compares to the 1060 6gb. This was the most, or one of the most prevalent cards in the most recent Steam survey so if it's not faster than that it's not going to help the vast majority of people!
Found it very interesting that the nVidia graph we see everywhere compares the card to 3 others but not the 1060.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1060-6-gb.c2862
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-rtx-3050-8-gb.c3858

Looks like it's basically exactly the same in most of the key stats and theoretical performance, *sigh*

Associate
Anyone who buys a 3050 to game at 4k shouldn't be allowed to make purchases online.
I wasn't talking about 3050 but about 3070 or 3080. Nvidia was criticised in the past for giving these cards less Vram than needed. Now that AMD does the same thing, we should think they did something to help the gamers.

Soldato
Nvidia was criticised in the past for giving these cards less Vram than needed. Now that AMD does the same thing, we should think they did something to help the gamers.

The market has changed substantially since nVidia had some criticism for the amount of vram. Now we have no affordable cards on the market where anything is better than nothing right now.

You're only looking at part of the problem rather than seeing the bigger issue.

Associate
The market has changed substantially since nVidia had some criticism for the amount of vram. Now we have no affordable cards on the market where anything is better than nothing right now.

You're only looking at part of the problem rather than seeing the bigger issue.

Nailed it ;)

Soldato
some criticism? :p

Anyway, if the project doesn't have enough Vram than its not that useful to gamers either. It's a simple question really, is 4gb enough on that class of card for gamers? Or perhaps a different way of phrasing it, does the card run out of Vram before the core runs out of steam? Yes or No.

If the answer is Yes, you shouldn't but it regardless even if its the only thing available.

Back
Top Bottom