• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3080 FE - Backplate Thermal Pad Mod

Associate
I don't think 100c is anything to worry about - that is my target temperature on my 3090.

My additional cooling has got me to 100c @115MH/s with the fan at 45%, which is a comfortable noise level for the living room.

Associate
Even with a sink+fan on the plate soon as I push above 100MH/s the mem temps go over 100c. It is in a case so unless I bring down ambient (like opening the nearby back door) I think only the pad mod will get it properly under control, they must have been stingy with the pads on my card.

What core and memory clocks?

Associate
I recently replaced the thermal pads front & back on my 3080 FE with the 1.5mm Thermalright ones. I previously only had 3mm on the backplate as per Igor's mod but I had Minus 8 pads which are very firm and it was bulging the backplate so not a fan. Replaced them with 1.5mm and they seem to make sufficient contact.

Anyway full repaste and pad job dropped VRAM temps by ca. 20C. Now running +1400 mem, -180 core at 71% PL which gives me just shy of 102Mh/s stable (VRAM now at 90C on 80% fan). Card would do +1500 even at 102.5Mh/s but not stable for long.

TL;DR: replacing thermal pads front & back is very effective and not difficult, just take your time.

Soldato
when they go to the expense to build a cooler like the FE has you'd think they wouldn't cheap out on the pads.

Welcome to the world of manufacturing, I have seen manufacturers authorise glamorous spending one day, then do what they can to save 5 pence the next.

I expect with the pads, because they not "visible" forms of cooling, it may have been deemed to have little market value, especially when users typically dont monitor memory temps.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Surprisingly strange how some are very oily (which I hear is silicon so not conductive) but the temps seem to conclude that cheap pads have less transfer so the improvements people see when getting the odyssey packs is because they are rated 3x better. If we the consumers can pick them up for a reasonable price, why on earth can the factories not score a bulk order on this as I bet it wont work out to be much more expensive?

Other reason could be the temp concerns people have on memory is something they are not bothered about as their testing may have concluded it doesn't need it, or is well within thermal tolerances. If it was a high reason for RMA and failures it probably would have been prevalent in Turing gen. If the throttling can contain any silly extremes from being reached perhaps this is another trick they bank on so plump for the bog standard greasy poor pads..

Associate
It is interesting to read out there the various iterations of pad thickness but I seem to note that with thermalright odyssey pads, it is 1.5mm all round due to not much leeway in compression. However with gelid GP extreme it is 2mm front and 3mm on backplate as there is some compression to be had. Interesting to note that gelid have also come out with a higher mk/W version as the gelid ultimate but they only come as 0.5mm and 1mm.

Im just waiting for thermalright TFX paste to come before I do mine, but I'm going for gelid GP extreme with 2mm front and 3mm on back.

What thermal pastes have you guys used?

Soldato
It is interesting to read out there the various iterations of pad thickness but I seem to note that with thermalright odyssey pads, it is 1.5mm all round due to not much leeway in compression. However with gelid GP extreme it is 2mm front and 3mm on backplate as there is some compression to be had. Interesting to note that gelid have also come out with a higher mk/W version as the gelid ultimate but they only come as 0.5mm and 1mm.

Im just waiting for thermalright TFX paste to come before I do mine, but I'm going for gelid GP extreme with 2mm front and 3mm on back.

What thermal pastes have you guys used?
The gelid ultimate is a harder pad so probably more similar to the odyssey than the gelid extreme.

Used kryonout paste on my 3080, not an FE model but stock stuff was rubbish and all watery. After replacing with kryonout the GPU die temp dropped around 6C and the VRAM around 30C using the ultimate pads.

Associate
The gelid ultimate is a harder pad so probably more similar to the odyssey than the gelid extreme.

Used kryonout paste on my 3080, not an FE model but stock stuff was rubbish and all watery. After replacing with kryonout the GPU die temp dropped around 6C and the VRAM around 30C using the ultimate pads.

Yeah the ultimate pads are harder but from reddit user reports in between the gelid extreme and the odyssey. Just wish they came in more than 0.5mm and 1mm sizes. Would be interesting to see the results given higher heat transfer abilities, but then also same time is the heat sink going to be able to cope with so much more heat saturation......

Back
Top Bottom