• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rtx 3080 lower quality capacitor Issue

Associate
Would be useful if we can compile a list of what cards have what capacitors. The list from 3t3p is a good start but its interesting apparently some cards have already changed configuration so both versions are out in the world. Personally I've got a Gigabyte Gaming OC on order so I'd like to know what the arrangement is on that card.

Soldato
Would be useful if we can compile a list of what cards have what capacitors. The list from 3t3p is a good start but its interesting apparently some cards have already changed configuration so both versions are out in the world. Personally I've got a Gigabyte Gaming OC on order so I'd like to know what the arrangement is on that card.
I think the Gaming has 6 POSCAP

Associate
The YouTube video showing the Breakdown of the ASUS Strix shows that it has the 6 MLCC type.
Can someone get a source for this? Would be interesting to see if they have a completely different configuration that is displayed in their advertising and whether the issue was fixed pre-launch or whether 6 POSCAPs Strix are on the market.

I think the Gaming has 6 POSCAP
:(

Associate
OP
Reddit list has that

Associate

Same here have the Gigabyte Gaming on order. I've looked around and there's not that much info on it + it has a covered die back.

Good list here and other info https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/izhpvs/the_possible_reason_for_crashes_and_instabilities/

and the 3090 on Debauers channel

both show it using the cheaper POSCAPs.

Think I'll just see what turns up and if it's boosting to a decent clock and not crashing then I'll keep it. If not send it back and get a refund as I don't really want to have the card gimped with a bios update.

Associate
OP
Can someone get a source for this? Would be interesting to see if they have a completely different configuration that is displayed in their advertising and whether the issue was fixed pre-launch or whether 6 POSCAPs Strix are on the market.

:(
It started with Igor and users reporting crashes at clock speed above 2000.
Not really sure as so many users re porting the crashes unless its was only the 1st batch, and that's the reason behind so much delay and AIBS providing really small numbers daily

Associate
It sounds like some cards with the cheaper caps are actually fine at high clocks, and some of the ones with the correct config have been crashing. So no idea what is going on!

Associate
I have a tuf oc on order and already noticed this
some reviews of the tuff hd 4 of what i presumed where the tantalum type
and others had images of all mlcc
I presumed the ones with 4 of the type that i presumed where tantalum where early cards using strix bom
and was hoping mine would be an early one

turns out i was wrong and want to hope for an all mlcc card

Associate
OP
Posted about this hours ago in CAT'S review thread:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/33988805
Since AIBs didn't have drivers, they couldn't have done much true binning, so maybe one of the capacitor designs only affects cards with poor ASIC quality?
EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 is the most expensive card and they didn't use MLCC so cant say much
so I don't think price is the issue here

Associate
I have 25+ years experience in electronics manufacturing and I've never heard of tantalum capacitors being called 'lower quality' or 'cheaper' than multi-layer ceramic caps. They are simply different types. In cost terms multilayer ceramic caps are probably more than 25x cheaper than tantalum caps. In turn tantalum caps are larger and offer much bigger capacitance so you can put less on the board to achieve the same capacitance. The boards like the Asus TUF with all ceramics caps will likely be cheaper to build for that section even considering the extra costs for the SMT pick and place of 60 ceramic caps vs 6 tantalum caps.

They do have different characteristics like impedance, ESR etc which may account for some boards being better than others. If the capacitors do turn of to be an issue it's not going to be down to component quality or cost cutting, it's purely down to design and presumably if Nvidia have a design spec that gives the OEM board makers a choice of what to fit then the fault lies with Nvidia.

Associate
Rushed launch, last minute drivers, not enough time for proper testing and bug fixes. Seems like Nvidia deliberately screwed their AiB partners. #Maybe this is why certain models of the the 3080's aren't out yet, as they caught the issues there?

Back
Top Bottom