• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090 applying NVsurround : one screen goes black

Associate
No issues with my 2080 Ti.NVsurround is working correctly with that card.

Installed my Inno3D 3090 X4 yesterday and while it installed very easily it does not want to show NVsurround on my 2x 4K display setup. Displays at 3940x2160 and 30 hertz each.

When clicking apply to Enable it in the NVsurround menu, one display goes black and looking on the Resolution tab it shows just one display at 3840x2160.
When Disableing NVsurround the black screen becomes active again and thg ei8mage is on both screens.

Is the 3090 not compatible with NVsurround or are the drivers not working correctly.
I have tried the last 4 drivers.

All suggstions are welcome.

Associate
OP
These are large Sony 4K Led tv’s.
And it works perfectly with the 2080 Ti.
Also just tried the 2080 and no issues too.

Associate
OP
There is surely an issue :

Both displays are 3840x2160
When Clicking Enable NVSURROUND display 1 stats at 3840x2160 but display 2 shows 4096x2160 in white characters on the black screen.
Different resolutions are not compatible with NVSURROUND.

When Disableing NVSURROUND display 2 goes back into 3840x2160 again.

I have tried setting both to 4096x2160 before enableing NVSURROUND but then display 1 goes into 3840x2160 and keeps it image. Display 2 stays at 4096x2160 and becomes black.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just read in another topic about someone with just one 4K monitor and at random moments the screen would turn black.
It worked correctly with his former 20 card.
He was advised to try another HDMI cable as it was an older one.

My HDMI cables are 2.0. However NVSURROUND with the 2080 Ti is working correctly.

The 3090 is capable of HDMI 2.1.
Before buying 2.1 HDMI cables : could my card have issues with my 4 yo HDMI cables, where my 2080 Ti can handle it ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the link.
So I guess that the only thing I can do is return the card as it doesn’t do what it is supposed to do.

In the article a workaround could be using a lower frequency.
I even tried at 2x 3840 @ 24hertz but no reveal.

Soldato
Would suggest before turning raise support incident with nvidia or post on their forum see if a rep can aid in debugging surround is not a big % of customers maybe an unknown bug

Associate
OP
The card has 3x DP and 1x HDMI 2.1.
The issues exist with all kind of connector combinations.

As it also has the issue when using DP only it could also be the drivers.

But theses cards are out now for a few months so I would have expected that NVsurround would work correctly....

I have 3x DP cable and 1x HDMI 2.0.

Associate
OP
The store advised me to wait and see what Inno3D has to say. I have 30 days to return the card.
And perhaps a better driver might be released.

In the official Nvidia forums there are multiple people using a 3090 with NVSURROUND but all are using 2K displays .
No one using 4K displays like me.

Associate
There's a new driver, not sure if it will help:

Fixed Issues in this Release
[Warzone][RTX 30 series]: Users may see a drop in performance during gameplay.[3132127]
[Notebook]: The internal panel flashes upon resume from sleep mode or from display off. [3150038]
[NVIDIA Ampere architecture][G-SYNC][HDR][Dual-head 8k display]: Display screen goes black.[200667525]

I did have issues with triples and gsync, but that was cable related in the end, even though my original cables where fine with the 2080ti, 3090 seemed to be rather picky and needed vesa certified ones, believe me, I tried various sets, all 8k 60hz rated and only vesa certified worked reliably.. and this is at 2560x1440@165hz x3 not 8k. Different issues though, by the sounds of it. Try the driver update.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately no difference.
When clicking Enable Surround first display 1 becomes black and display 2 shows the right part of the image.

Then display 2 becomes black and display / shows the complete image.

Below it says NVsurround enabled....

Associate
OP
Just ordered 2x DisplayPort 1.4 5 meter cables with gold plated connectors
Expensive cables but top quality.

My current cables are DP 1.2 cables which should do it (as the 2080 Ti proves) but these are 8K card, so more enough bandwidth ..

Associate
I wouldn't like to say for sure whether cables is it or not, but with the issues I was having, it was.

i.e These cables work perfectly:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HL7RSRW

Whereas these, resulted in flickering display, instability when enabling surround and just didn't cut it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010CMVYV4

I ordered and had a lot more examples of ones that didn't work, the working ones where typically, the last ones I tried.. I was almost giving up thinking it was the gpu / drivers. It wasn't.
They are rated the same, except the first link (the good ones) are vesa certified.

Associate
They should be good, they are certified and have the DP logo, any that don't are likely problematic, or at least.. that's what I will be assuming going forward should I ever need to purchase cables in the future.

Fingers crossed, I guess.

Associate
OP
Certainly fingers crossed.

To mimic NVSURROUND I have my left monitor at 3840x2160 and the right at 4048x2160.
Now an image “connects” behind the bezels.

However ingame I can only use 4096x2160
and stretch that image manually over the 2 displays. It is like 3K screens now ...

Back
Top Bottom