• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX3090 underperforming?

Associate
I used optimum techs guide but my card always runs slower

sure I can save up to 100w but it also cuts performance, I never managed to find a point where it gains performance and saved power, saving power always meant performance loss
I guess everyone's card is different, but I gained a couple of hundred points in Timespy while simultaneously dropping the fan speed and temps. Can't complain!

Soldato
Also 130fps at 4k in warzone might be normal. If perhaps you have all settings at max including ray tracing I think this is reasonable.

I thnk in Warzone you can check a setting ti show CPU and GPU timeframe, which will tell you wht is bottlenecking what. Say if CPU renders at 6ms per frame and gpu at 8ms per frame then you know its not cpu bottlnecking.

Edit: or was it 1440p? if its 1440p then yes 130 fps seems a tad low

Last edited:
Soldato
My FE 3090 has a 350W limit. If I crank it to 114% in afterburner it tends to sit at 385W and no higher.

It's why undervolting works so well with these cards - it allows a little headroom on the power limit.

Your firmware is 400W
I did try undervolting but got no where near 1995 on the GPU.

I don't use afterburner anymore, it's to old.
I use EVGA X1 1.06 and it works a treat.

With the latest drivers my GPU clocks are sitting at 1995.
But I have to keep the temp at 50C

Associate
@Blowsy ^ CPU is at 30%? Yet temps stupid high there, either the GPU is dumping too much heat for it and its throttling, or your cooling is not good enough on the CPU.

Interesting, ok. I know the 5950X runs a little on the hot side out of the box, so I ran a Cinebench and with CPU at full load (and obviously very little GPU load), my CPU temps were only around 53C.

I'm thinking, therefore, that GPU is heating things up.

Cooling:
I'm running 3x 140mm intake fans on the front, 1x 140mm exhaust at the back and a top-mounted AIO 360mm cooler exhausting from the top.

What am I doing wrong?!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Interesting, ok. I know the 5950X runs a little on the hot side out of the box, but I ran a Cinebench CPU test and with CPU at full load (and obviously very little GPU load), my CPU temps were only around 53C.

I'm thinking, therefore, that GPU is heating things up.

Cooling:
I'm running 3x 140mm intake fans on the front, 1x 140mm exhaust at the back and a top-mounted AIO 360mm cooler exhausting from the top.

What am I doing wrong?!

Nothing wrong. Best is to grab a huge desk fan or be creative. For testing take side of case off and set all fans to full. GPU and CPU full fan speed if you can set it.

Then test it in these conditions and see if you fps goes higher (as the CPU can stretch its legs).

Associate
@Th0nt Ok, I've removed the side panel and ramped up the CPU and system fans to 100% (don't know how to manual set GPU fan)

Results are the same, Afterburner is telling me I'm at 95% GPU loads @ 65C, CPU never gets higher than 35% load and is sitting around 60C

Switching from 4k to 1440p bumps the CPU usage up to about 40%, but temps still the same.
Even at 1080p, the CPU usage doesn't get above 45% (though GPU load drops to about 50%)

GPU is drawing c. 380W at load, I have as 1000W PSU.

I'm thoroughly confused.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a MSI RTX 3090 with a Ryzen 3900xt at 1440p 144hz.

When playing games. I notice that I'm only getting around 100-120 fps in games on ultra. Cod cold war is running 80-90 fps and borderlands 3 runs at around 102fps.

Other benchmarks are getting a lot higher, even 3080 benchmarks are hitting the same fps as mine.

The 3d mark score is only about 500 under the average so I'm stumped as to whether my card is underperforming or whether Im just overestimating the capabilities of this card

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I had a hidden cpu miner that was halfing my perfornce in borderlands.

I was getting 120fps locked at 1440p but then it dropped to 60fps when this hiiden cpu miner had infected my machine.

I don't know where I got it as I only use it for gaming and buy all my games from the stores.

The only way you can check if you got it is run task manager and and it instantly goes from 100% to 0% when you open it. Doesnt show up in virus scanner and makes cpu temps high.

For the record I get 120fps locked on my 3080/9700 at 1440p if I turn off anti anitlizing and turn down fog one notch.

Associate
Your firmware is 400W
I did try undervolting but got no where near 1995 on the GPU.

I don't use afterburner anymore, it's to old.
I use EVGA X1 1.06 and it works a treat.

With the latest drivers my GPU clocks are sitting at 1995.
But I have to keep the temp at 50C
I've read 350W in plenty of places, and that ties up with the draw I saw in HWinfo when power limit 'yes' was set (before I installed afterburner). What am I missing?

Associate
I have a MSI RTX 3090 with a Ryzen 3900xt at 1440p 144hz.

When playing games. I notice that I'm only getting around 100-120 fps in games on ultra. Cod cold war is running 80-90 fps and borderlands 3 runs at around 102fps.

Other benchmarks are getting a lot higher, even 3080 benchmarks are hitting the same fps as mine.

The 3d mark score is only about 500 under the average so I'm stumped as to whether my card is underperforming or whether Im just overestimating the capabilities of this card
I would cry, fs2020 needs RTX 5x

Associate
Hi,
Not sure if my input will help in any way, but I too was underwhelmed at the start having got a 3090 at a good price.
COD cold war would barely go above 80fps, but turning ray tracing off would see it rocket to near 200 so was happy with that.
Other games such as squad run smooth with everything on ultra, though what the fps is I'm not sure, as I'm more a VR player, and that's spot on.
My system is also a 1440p one with a ryzen 7 2700x and gigabyte gaming oc 3090 (it barely goes above 60 degrees)
I've run several of the benchmark programs. The latest one being Timespy with a score of 15921 (graphics 19071, CPU 8224) It seems quite good comparing it to online benchmarks?
Again, not sure if that helps but it at least gives you a reference....maybe :)

Soldato
Is the Asus 480w bios the best one?

mice been looking for the kingpin bios apparently it's 520w anyone know where to find it?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
@Th0nt Ok, I've removed the side panel and ramped up the CPU and system fans to 100% (don't know how to manual set GPU fan)

Results are the same, Afterburner is telling me I'm at 95% GPU loads @ 65C, CPU never gets higher than 35% load and is sitting around 60C

Switching from 4k to 1440p bumps the CPU usage up to about 40%, but temps still the same.
Even at 1080p, the CPU usage doesn't get above 45% (though GPU load drops to about 50%)

GPU is drawing c. 380W at load, I have as 1000W PSU.

I'm thoroughly confused.

Have you got a g-sync monitor or some frame capping setting on? Your benching is within range of other users but two specific games your running are not running away with high fps?

When I played warzone on my vega I wondered why it couldnt murder the fps, it seemed to cap about 120fps. Then I realised there is a setting to allow frames to display beyond that. I then seen when i dropped some settings the vega card could easily push higher frames if I didnt cap it.

I did want to set a range as my monitor liked 40-60 as it is freesync (just wanted to see how high it could render at). So I would check your settings in case its doing so to stop tearing and keeping in line with your refresh rates etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,
Not sure if my input will help in any way, but I too was underwhelmed at the start having got a 3090 at a good price.
COD cold war would barely go above 80fps, but turning ray tracing off would see it rocket to near 200 so was happy with that.
Other games such as squad run smooth with everything on ultra, though what the fps is I'm not sure, as I'm more a VR player, and that's spot on.
My system is also a 1440p one with a ryzen 7 2700x and gigabyte gaming oc 3090 (it barely goes above 60 degrees)
I've run several of the benchmark programs. The latest one being Timespy with a score of 15921 (graphics 19071, CPU 8224) It seems quite good comparing it to online benchmarks?
Again, not sure if that helps but it at least gives you a reference....maybe :)

It all depends which card you had previously. I had a 5700XT so the upgrade to a KFA2 3090 SG is amazing TBH and I game at 1440p Ultra everything on a freesync 144hz monitor. I've set my monitor to G-sync compatibility so only want max 144fps. In COD CW with no RT my monitor's FPS never moves off 144 but if I apply RT in Trileau level with Ultra RT I get about 100fps average.

In time spy I get 16,682, Graphics score 19,076 CPU score 9,725 and it says better than 99% of scores. That'll do me thank you. I've got a Ryzen 7 3800X CPU. The 2700X is certainly bottle necking you as I had a 2700 and when I bought the 3800X my scores shot up. With the 2700 my graphics score was 18,587 and CPU score 7,438. Don't get too worried as lots of scores online and in reviews are heavily overclocked. Just enjoy it.

Associate
Ok, trying to diagnose my FPS issues in Warzone using MSI Afterburner and GPU-Z:
MSI Afterburner is telling me I'm at 95% GPU load @ c. 60 degrees, whilst CPU load is at around 30% consistently (at 4k)
Looking at GPU-Z, the PerfCap Reason is 'Idle'.... any ideas (screenshot below)?

your Perfcap looks to also include Vrel (reliability of voltage ), Pwr (total power limit)

Soldato
I've got some issues on my 3090FE with a heavily modded Skyrim VR having some big GPU stutters that didn't happen on my 1080ti. I'm hoping this is due to the Nvidia driver issue which is affecting VR games on latest hardware. Guess I'll find out with the next driver update which supposedly fixes it.

Back
Top Bottom