Rugby union?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Such a shame having this Lions tour without fans....it's really spoiling it. In hindsight it should have been binned off for a year, but I guess they have to see it through now.

Typical SA test yesterday. Absolutely immense, fast, physical defence from the boks. Some good play from the Lions, but not enough.

Pretty amazing that SA can keep these levels up. You know exactly what they are going to do. They'll have 15 absolutely massive guys (Faf and Cheslin excepted :p) brought up on a braai diet that will hit you at pace, in defence and attack, for 80 minutes, without slowing down.

The loss was disappointing, but not a disaster by any means. BIL certainly were not the first team. I wonder what changes SA will make for the first test... that pretty much looked like a test team to me.

jpm

jpm

Associate
Lions team to face South Africa: Hogg; A Watson, Daly, Henshaw, Van Der Merwe; Biggar, Price; W Jones, Cowan-Dickie, Furlong, Itoje, AW Jones (capt), Lawes, Curry, Conan.

Replacements: Owens, Sutherland, Sinckler, Beirne, H Watson, Murray, Farrell, L Williams.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Couple of surprises, but a strong team. I would not have picked Jones to start at prop; and I'm a big fan of Watson and happy to see him start, but I'm surprised Josh Adams wasn't picked (not even in the squad!).

Also somewhat surprised Murray not starting, but Price has been driving a faster tempo game that should suit the Lions.

Personally I prefer Farrell over Biggar, but not arguing with WG's selection.

Would LRZ be better choice on bench than Liam Williams?

Soldato
With Hogg, Daly and Watson on the pitch I agree Williams might not have been my first choice for the bench, I might have started him over Hogg or Watson maybe.
I've never been a fan of Lawes at 6 he is ok a premiership level not convinced he or Itoje are international 6's handy fill ins but not starting.
I think Curry Watson would have been a better call on the flanks. I'm assuming Gatland wants a bit more starting heft in the back row though.

Not sure if I'm going to watch, Lions leaves me very meh. Too much hype not enough quality.

Caporegime
Gatland is the wrong pick for Lions coach because he'll always pick provincials over their better English counterparts.

Good for Welsh politicking, but not to actually win a test match against the biggest thugs in world rugby.

Associate
Itoje, Conan & Lawes all magnificent. The whole team was excellent the 2nd half, but those 3 for me were amazing.

Alun Wyn Jones leadership and decision making also excellent.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Gatland is the wrong pick for Lions coach because he'll always pick provincials over their better English counterparts.

Good for Welsh politicking, but not to actually win a test match against the biggest thugs in world rugby.

:confused: posted 15 minutes too early?

Let's face it, not exactly an impartial ref!

I actually thought the ref team was good... Both teams had reason to argue a couple of calls, but most of the big decisions fell our way... I think SA supporters will be feeling more aggrieved than Lions supporters.

Back
Top Bottom