1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rugby union?

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by Unseul, Aug 19, 2018.

1. tom_nieto

Capodecina

Real shame for Itoje to be out for the tournament. I hope he’s well recovered for the World Cup. Second row is not a weak area for England at the moment, but the slight issue is back row cover which Itoje can provide. Hughes and Vunipola on the field at the same time is good, but doesn’t allow for the slight variation in playing styles that the back row requires.

Hell of a performance in Dublin. Aggressive, disciplined (apart from when the aggression took over!) and showing some attacking flair which has been sorely missed from England sides of late. Will be very interesting to see if they can keep the momentum up during the year.

2. Stu

Wise Guy

I think we are being harsh on Gustard... he is a class defence coach!

Losing Itoje is a blow, because he is truly world class, but we have amazing depth in the second row and back row, and it is certainly too early to think about WC player availability/injuries. Itoje (when fit) and Lawes can cover second row and blind side, we have Kruis and Launchbury (both word class), then Attwood and possibly Nick Isiekwe or Michael Rhodes. I think we actually have more depth in the back row right now... even excluding Itoje and Lawes, this is my list of players capable of playing backrow at international level: Billy, Tom Curry (and probably his brother too), Hughes, Wilson, Shields, Underhill, Simmonds, Mercer, Earl, Clifford, Kvesic, Armond, Ewers and (of course) Robshaw. I'm sure I've missed some others.

3. Unseul

Gangster

Launch for Itoje reduces our lineout, but improves our already formidable carrying.

4. TheMightyTen

Soldato

Talking of 2nd rows, old Clawes extra stone of muscle hasn't made him any less intimidating ;) :D

5. Unseul

Gangster

Certainly hasn't, will likely have helped his scrummaging too, which is useful.

6. TheMightyTen

Soldato

I agree, for me his two weaknesses were always his temperament and the fact he was a little to lightweight to lock off the front row and he appears to have fixed both so cudos to him.

7. Dis86

Capodecina

That Scottish try was amazing!

8. Dis86

Capodecina

Also not clear why they have Garces refereeing on an Irish game again after his pretty obvious bias last week.

9. JRS

Capodecina

It's not just Garces, it's every ref. I hope and pray for the day when a ref turns up to an Ireland game and tells them in no uncertain terms to **** off when they start chatting at him to try and win a penalty call.

10. Dis86

Capodecina

It's ruining what I think is otherwise an excellent game. Just keeps breaking the flow of play and is clearly starting to frustrate the Scottish players.

11. Dis86

Capodecina

Thing's you're not stopping;

The tide.

The sun rising.

Keith Earls at full pelt.

12. Dis86

Capodecina

Looks like I was wrong, was Poite!

13. Unseul

Gangster

Missed most the 6n games due to playing myself. Got beaten in the scrum, and with a bad back it was a series of painful lessons. Still, learnt a few good lessons and should be better for it. Still going for an undefeated season though! This was a top of the table clash too.

14. Participant

Caporegime

Anyone expecting anything other than an England win today?

Statistics at Twickenham and current form suggest an English win is nailed on, though the French were looking good again Wales for me.

15. mid_gen

Sgarrista

Not looking like a France win so far, very flaky from them.

England looking accurate and intense like last week.

16. JRS

Capodecina

Jonny May is really earning his corn today.

17. mid_gen

Sgarrista

I will never, ever get bored of watching us demolish France.

May's had a belter...don't think there's a better finisher in world rugby at the moment...did their winger in a couple meters of space for his second, class.

18. Pigeon_Killer

Caporegime

Don't know a lot about Rugby but that last bounce took it away from him and he slowed down before being tackled. Don't see how that was an easy Try, had he gathered it he would've been smashed.

19. mid_gen

Sgarrista

9 times out of 10 that's a penalty try, attacker is closest to the try line and defender tackles him off the ball...even if it's a tricky finish.

Bit of a shame the game is already over as a contest, but still, definitely wouldn't turn down two bonus point wins from two games, both denying the oppo a bp. Happy days.

20. Pigeon_Killer

Caporegime

Is his ear hanging off? :eek: