Rugby union?

Frustrating red. I get the letter of the law, but what on earth is Stuart really meant to do there. Jump out of the way as a player runs head first at him?
Maybe that's the way to play rugby now, run leant over with their head a metre from the floor...

Frustrating red. I get the letter of the law, but what on earth is Stuart really meant to do there. Jump out of the way as a player runs head first at him?
Maybe that's the way to play rugby now, run leant over with their head a metre from the floor...

A player who had just committed an offence by collecting a knocked on ball, shouldn't have even been there in the first instance. Steward had nowhere to go, was he meant to just get hit and not try to protect his own ribs?

Frustrating red agreed. But the rules are clear.

I'm concerned that attacking players will start to "lead" with the head making themselves very hard to tackle legally.

Lead with your head whilst ducking down and you can't be tackled unless they let you run past and try and get you from the side/behind. It's absolutely ruining the game.

Yellow for that? TV off. No point watching any more with this ref, he's just given everything to Ireland right now. Similar incident in the game earlier, just a penalty as the tackler didn't drive the player into the ground. Peyper even said himself they stumbled over another player just now, but then still pulls out a yellow?

It's all a bit farcical, that ruined the game for me. I fail to see how the attacking player doesn't have some responsibility for they're own welfare or some degree of acceptance that stuff happens very very quickly. The Ref should be forced to watch the event 3 or 4 times at normal speed before being allowed to look at the slow motion replay. Short of diving out of the way Steward was utterly trapped by events.

I've said it once or twice I'm not enjoying watching elite rugby much these days. Although credit where it's due France were pretty damn entertaining last week.

It's all a bit farcical, that ruined the game for me. I fail to see how the attacking player doesn't have some responsibility for they're own welfare or some degree of acceptance that stuff happens very very quickly. The Ref should be forced to watch the event 3 or 4 times at normal speed before being allowed to look at the slow motion replay. Short of diving out of the way Steward was utterly trapped by events.

I've said it once or twice I'm not enjoying watching elite rugby much these days. Although credit where it's due France were pretty damn entertaining last week.
It's really hard. Players have to be protected. Especially given the scary incidence of long term brain injury that is emerging.

But I'm not sure teh attacking player can be absolved of all responsibility for contact. Sure, you can't hand of using your elbow, but dipping into a tackle, picking up a knock-on and then charging out of control into a full-back also have to be shared.

In the same way that you can't seal off in a ruck, you also need to make it possible for a defender to carry out a safe tackle?

Perhaps there should be a concept of a "red card" event being implemented as a "shared event" and in the case of Freddy's red, they should both have received a yellow?

Agree - can't stand Peyper. I'd rather have Nigel Owens on a zimmer frame reffing.

I do see how the ref has arrived at that decision to be honest and I've definitely see a lot worse decisions that that.
Seems like some people seem the headline read 'rescinded' and assumed it challenge was fine. Panel said that was still yellow card worthy.

I do see how the ref has arrived at that decision to be honest and I've definitely see a lot worse decisions that that.
Seems like some people seem the headline read 'rescinded' and assumed it challenge was fine. Panel said that was still yellow card worthy.

Agree totally - players need to be protected. Contact to heads has got to be removed from the game as far as is possible. But just like F1 tries to prevent accidents, they still happen.

In any full contact sport, there will be accidents. The goal is to minimise them.

Red cards are a huge sanction and have a massive impact on the game. International mens rugby is not a cheap sport to watch.

Hugo Keenan has to bear some of the responsibility - a yellow each would have seemed far "fairer" and would have protected the game as a spectacle.

The attacking player cannot be absolved of all responsibility for the contact.

No idea why Gloucester are seemingly letting Reid and 36 go. Reid has phenomenal work rate, and has always played well. 36 isn’t his best for sure, however he’s an amazing squad player. Sad to see them both go tbh.

Anyone think that La Rochelle can stop Leinster, in Dublin? Only way I see them winning is beating them up through the forwards. Hopefully Botia will be fine for the final.

Back
Top Bottom