Rugby union?

Oh dear. Another poor result.
Credit where its due, Fiji are looking a solid side. Some very powerful players who look dangerous in open play, and strong enough in the set piece.

England showed some attacking moments to be reasonably happy with after the last few games. But just still aren't converting well, and just look lazy for large parts of the game. Honestly think they'll struggle to get out of the group stages right now.

Did Ford kick away the ball every single time we had penalty advantage? It felt like it. Why not use the advantage to put some pressure on. England have been tactically stupid for the last 20 years with a few short exceptions.

Decent last warm up from Scotland.
We are playing the best rugby I've seen from Scotland in 40 odd years. Really tough group which is a bt of a farce given the groups were drawn so long ago but if we play like we have been then we might do some damage. At least we will be better than England.

Roll on the World Cup now, the first game for us (Scotland) is really do or die, I think the way we play we have a better chance of a result against South Africa than Ireland (who remain our bogey team - I don't think we've beaten them since 2017).

I can't see beyond NZ, Ireland, France or South Africa for the title but they'll need to do it the hard way given the draw - in the SA/Ireland/Scotland group the quarter finals will be a tie with France or NZ.

The other side could be interesting - none of the usual suspects look great with England, Australia and Wales looking pretty hopeless - I fancy Argentina to beat England and win that group, I also fancy Fiji to go through at the expense of Wales or Australia the way things are going there too.

Roll on the World Cup now, the first game for us (Scotland) is really do or die, I think the way we play we have a better chance of a result against South Africa than Ireland (who remain our bogey team - I don't think we've beaten them since 2017).

I can't see beyond NZ, Ireland, France or South Africa for the title but they'll need to do it the hard way given the draw - in the SA/Ireland/Scotland group the quarter finals will be a tie with France or NZ.

The other side could be interesting - none of the usual suspects look great with England, Australia and Wales looking pretty hopeless - I fancy Argentina to beat England and win that group, I also fancy Fiji to go through at the expense of Wales or Australia the way things are going there too.
I'm really excited for it now that Scotland seemingly are playing much better!

PHOTO-2023-08-31-16-56-18.jpg

The sooner Borthwick is booted out the better.

Eddie Jones #2

I think while there may be better managers about, the players have to shoulder some of the responsibility there. Being yellow/red carded is down to their temperament. Discipline cannot be excused stemming back a while now.
While managers normally take too much flack for player mistakes, Borthwick had the time to be able to choose a new team, with leaders willing to tackle discipline. He instead stayed with the same people, who were shown to be incapable of moving with the times in terms of discipline or tactics.

While managers normally take too much flack for player mistakes, Borthwick had the time to be able to choose a new team, with leaders willing to tackle discipline. He instead stayed with the same people, who were shown to be incapable of moving with the times in terms of discipline or tactics.
Wasn't he limited with the number of changes he could make?

Wasn't he limited with the number of changes he could make?
He needed to get them playing for 6 nations, set up his style of play and finding leaders within the team. Then choose the 33 for world cup squad, which you cannot change unless there are injuries. Jones' binning of experienced players on eve of tourny was an interesting choice, but at least he understood that the old style would not work.

Anything is possible in a World Cup tournament, I'm just looking forward to some good rugby.

That said, I'm still getting over the All Blacks hammering by the Boks, man that was brutal. :(

Wales team for Fiji on Sunday

15. Liam Williams (Kubota Spears – 85 caps)
14. Louis Rees Zammit (Gloucester Rugby – 27 caps)
13. George North (Ospreys / Gweilch – 114 caps)
12. Nick Tompkins (Saracens / Saraseniaid – 28 caps)
11. Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – 50 caps)
10. Dan Biggar (RC Toulonnais – 109 caps)
9. Gareth Davies (Scarlets – 69 caps)
1. Gareth Thomas (Ospreys / Gweilch – 22 caps)
2. Ryan Elias (Scarlets – 34 caps)
3. Tomas Francis (Provence Rugby – 72 caps)
4. Will Rowlands (Racing 92 – 25 caps)
5. Adam Beard (Ospreys / Gweilch – 47 caps)
6. Aaron Wainwright (Dragons / Dreigiau – 39 caps)
7. Jac Morgan (Ospreys / Gweilch – 11 caps) captain
8. Taulupe Faletau (Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – 100 caps)

Replacements

16. Elliot Dee (Dragons / Dreigiau – 43 caps)
17. Corey Domachowski ( Cardiff Rugby / Caerdydd – 2 caps)
18. Dillon Lewis (Harlequins – 51 caps)
19. Dafydd Jenkins (Exeter Chiefs / Caerwysg – 7 caps)
20. Tommy Reffell (Leicester Tigers / Caerlŷr – 10 caps)
21. Tomos Williams (Cardiff Rugby/ Caerdydd – 48 caps)
22. Sam Costelow (Scarlets – 4 caps)
23. Rio Dyer (Dragons / Dreigiau – 9 caps)

Pretty much our strongest team, though not sure about starting Toby for his second game in what seems ages.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom