Rugby union?

Soldato
Lots of sore heads around this morning but wow, what a game that was.

It's being shown again tonight apparently, 10 o'clock on BBC2 Wales.

Soldato
I’m really disappointed I really hoped England could sustain some momentum but felt worried as we didn’t make enough of our first half dominance. Wales played well enough but only looked good when England went off the boil in the last 20.

I have to get this off my chest again Ken Owens does not through in straight it’s about a meter to his teams side Rory Best is the same you look at the arms of the receivers and it’s a huge giveaway. I can’t believe elite referees let teams get away with these no compete line outs. Wales and Ireland have been doing it for most of the last 10 years. Why is it fundamentals of the game like this and scrums get officiated better at amateur level than elite?

Edit: oh and the other thing how many times did England let their backs run at the opposition? Not enough, we saw Tuilagi get a little space round Parkes and made huge gains. Not enough variation particularly as the kicking game wasn’t accurate enough to be the only plan.

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Very frustrating as an England supporter... despite form going into the game, I was always nervous, especially with the game being in Cardiff.

Overall, England didn't play well enough, and we let Wales dictate the pace of the game in the second half. Farrell got caught in the headlights, and should have changed tactics when the high ball was clearly not working... the Welsh back three are better than Ireland and France selected, and there was a lot more pressure on our kickers. We were great in the last two games because we ran when the defence stayed deep and kicked when they came short... there should have been more running yesterday, both to gain ground and overall game control - it seems everyone in the world except Farrell could see this! I think the Welsh centres were their weakest area, and we didn't apply any pressure down that channel... Farrell is responsible for this failing, as both captain and fly-half.

Sinckler played well, and the attention that he is getting in the media is unfair. The comments here regarding Daly not gathering that last kick must be coming from people that don't play rugby, or at least not as a back... Daly was stationary and Adams was on the run... the running player always has an advantage and can generally jump higher than the stationary player... it was a great kick that was extremely hard to defend.

Ken Owens at the lineout... one could argue it was genius, but it was cheating in my opinion. Each time the mark was made, Owens would take a step towards England and then complain England is closing the gap, then after England move over (if a free kick isn't awarded), he then takes two steps towards the Welsh line and throws the ball directly to his catcher... I can't believe that neither the linesman nor the ref prevent this, but, as they say, you try to get away with whatever you can. Don't even get me started on Gareth Davies throwing dummy passes from the base of the ruck...

We may yet lift the title if Ireland can beat Wales, but their performance in Rome does not inspire confidence for a win in Cardiff.

Soldato
England resorted to kicking far too early IMO. Some of the kicking was poor so all it did was hand possession back to Wales. It was even more baffling given the fact we have players able to break the line and commit opposition players to the tackle,Tuilangi and Vunipola to name but two. This would have created space out wide but the wings were underused.

Soldato
OP
Quality of kick was far worse than in previous games, but we persisted with it, even with decent front foot ball.

We also replaced a primary carrier and dominant defensive force, with a bang average international, and decided that he's good to go for 75 minutes, even though we've got a near (though green) like for like replacement on the bench.

Genge, Robson and Ford should have been on the pitch at 65 minutes or earlier, Genge absolutely the moment Sink went off, since that meant we were another carrier down, bringing on LCD then would have been a solid option too.

Soldato
Should be a good match at Murrayfield this afternoon. I hope all the regional Welsh rugby politics hasn't affected the team.

Caporegime
Never seen so much Scottish pressure. All undone by stupid bloody mistakes though and some very resilient Welsh defensive work.

Bloody hell...Jonathan Davies saying the Welsh tries were from forward passes. You know they're iffy when he says that!

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Never seen so much Scottish pressure. All undone by stupid bloody mistakes though and some very resilient Welsh defensive work.

Bloody hell...Jonathan Davies saying the Welsh tries were from forward passes. You know they're iffy when he says that!
Probably the worst the Welsh team have played in a while to be fair.

For the final 30 minutes it felt like 100% Scottish possession and I was sure they’d win. The fact we ground out a win in a game we needed to convincingly win is worrying tbh.

In contrast, I watched the English game and the result never looked in doubt. I can see them sneaking the tournament in a weeks time (through bonus points), as I don’t see us getting through Ireland unless we come out swinging.

Caporegime
Probably the worst the Welsh team have played in a while to be fair.

For the final 30 minutes it felt like 100% Scottish possession and I was sure they’d win. The fact we ground out a win in a game we needed to convincingly win is worrying tbh.

In contrast, I watched the English game and the result never looked in doubt. I can see them sneaking the tournament in a weeks time (through bonus points), as I don’t see us getting through Ireland unless we come out swinging.

I don't think the Welsh have played particularly well all tournament. Agree that Ireland might be the undoing although that will depend largely on their result tomorrow.
Either way come the world cup I think of this tournament the only teams that look to threaten the big 3 are actually France and England. However that depends if they turn up. France when they've been on their A game have been brilliant and a joy to watch. The trouble is they've barely been on it. England have been great apart from whatever the hell pathetic performance that was against Wales and any repeats of that make them just look poor.

Caporegime
France authors of their own destruction here. Lazy forwards not getting their backsides back to their line to help defensively.
Lovely little bit of play leading to that second Irish try though.

Back
Top Bottom