Running older game in windows 11 ?

Soldato
Trying to get The Chronicles of Riddick:Assault on Dark Athena to run on Windows 11 but each time I go to launch it, It gives me the following error -

ACm3kQ9.jpg

Tried all the usual stuff, Windows fully updated, 6950XT driver fully updated, Run in compatibility mode etc etc.... but nothing works, Also tried running on my flatmates rig which has a 3090 to see if it was an AMD specific bug, Same error, Anyone got any ideas ?

Soldato
Trying to get The Chronicles of Riddick:Assault on Dark Athena to run on Windows 11 but each time I go to launch it, It gives me the following error -

ACm3kQ9.jpg

Tried all the usual stuff, Windows fully updated, 6950XT driver fully updated, Run in compatibility mode etc etc.... but nothing works, Also tried running on my flatmates rig which has a 3090 to see if it was an AMD specific bug, Same error, Anyone got any ideas ?

Some games check for the amount of vram and other graphics requirements like DX which are needed to run. you may have more vram that the software can see/count or only be checking for DX 9 or lower whereas you have a higher DX version that may not be recognised. There may be some .ini file in the game that could be edited to recognise larger vram sizes.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Some games check for the amount of vram and other graphics requirements like DX which are needed to run. you may have more vram that the software can see/count or only be checking for DX 9 or lower whereas you have a higher DX version that may not be recognised. There may be some .ini file in the game that could be edited to recognise larger vram sizes.

I had a good dig around and found a config file in in the user/appdata/local folder and sure enough the VRAM was set to some zany number, Set it to my cards max and away it goes :)

Have a look in the game's folder in Steam - steam apps - common - game name. See if there is a configuration application that lets you set up your graphics settings?

Not in the game directory but found it in the hidden appdata/local folder :)

Soldato
I had a good dig around and found a config file in in the user/appdata/local folder and sure enough the VRAM was set to some zany number, Set it to my cards max and away it goes :)

Nice one, glad you're all up and running.
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif
It's a PITA when games you enjoy suddenly stop working for some unknown reason.

Back
Top Bottom