Ruri Blue Evo 9 FQ320* (*and a little more now)

Associate
So I think some of you will have seen me post this elsewhere as a snapshot etc but its turned into a little more of a project than I expected so throwing up a thread on it incase it's of interest plus generally good to have one to look back on :)

Was fortunate to actually win this car from Dream Car Giveaways for £9.99 (ignoring how many £9.99s I spent on tickets that didn't win :D) Won it on the evening of Dec 1st last year (2023) and chomping at the bit I went to collect it on the morning of Dec 3rd.

C3DwFzfOeF67F1OYSzqAqM

mpxMnq60eXe6Xc_fo0M_XM

Full spec is;

56,000 Miles, with a bare metal restoration carried out by RG Motorsport - genuinely crazy how clean the car is, I'll dig out and upload some underside photos shortly.

Fully Rebuilt Engine - 2.0 Long Rod, 1400hd Wiesco 85.5 Pistons, 156mm Oliver I-Beams, Manley Springs & Retainers, GSC S2 Cams, ARP Main Studs & Head Studs, ACL Bearings, Tubular Manifold, S205b Turbo, ETS 3" Intercooler, 3" Intake Pipe / K&N, 3" Russ Fellows Exhaust System
Been swapped to a 5 Speed Gearbox as they're stronger than the 6 Speed.
Link G4 Ecu
Cusco Power Brace, Superpro 24mm Rear ARB, Meister R ZetaPro Coilovers
Water Methanol injection fitted
Lots of Xtreme Carbon external bits
Work ZR10 Alloys
And at the time of winning was producing 480bhp on low boost and 552bhp on high boost.
Enjoyed it through December on the odd days they didn't salt the roads and took it on a run along the south coast to my parents for Christmas.

kAjtLA5l.jpeg

pZZxxEQl.jpeg

Fast forward to mid Jan and the S205B turbo decided it no longer wanted to be part of the world, broken down in a woods from 2pm-8pm when it got dark at 5pm was not the nicest experience
biggrin
Used a 50p coin to get the intake off and the turbo had an absolute huge amount of play in it and had obviously rubbed the turbine against the housing so no choice but to phone the AA. Who in turn refused to send a recovery truck until after their roadside chap had a look, spoke to him on the phone and he agreed it was daft but sadly everything is GPS logged so he wasn't able to mark it as unrepairable at the roadside until he actually got there. Let me sit in the van with my dog for 30 mins to warm up at least.

CVBMhnPl.jpeg

Sure enough turbo well and truely goosed

KgindLAl.jpeg

Got the turbo off and took it to Turbo Technics for inspection, diagnosed as overspeed. It's on the limit of what the turbo can handle really and was 9 years old having been on the car for about 5-7 years or so. As it was completely goosed with nothing reusable on it I ordered a replacement S205B (like for like) turbo from Turbo Technics, that arrived just before I went on holiday. Went on my holiday, got back and lost my job (great timing
biggrin
) which gave me time at least to fit the new turbo with all new hardware etc.

Q9hqBNkl.jpeg

LCqRq6fl.jpeg

Had a great shakedown run out all good, about 50 miles in total (with stops to check on everything etc) then took it on a second post-fix run out to the Cotswolds, again great fun had and always cracks me up how much love these old things get. Many conversations had with old and young alike :)

tTd4Qecl.jpeg

d8pfz6Il.jpeg

However on the run back home the car had a huge hesitation when I was overtaking someone and found no boost. Limped it the final couple of miles home and sure enough turbo was goosed once more. Got it straight off and drove it back up to Turbo Technics, complete with the Circlip that was hanging out of the oil drain :/ This time the failure was diagnosed as oil starvation, no warranty cover or anything like that so they sent me an quote for yet another brand new turbo at more or less full price after a lot of effort to try and get some goodwill contribution from them.

Engine seemed fine but obviously will need to give it another complete look over. Oil level was at the minimum (having filled it to max) and the difference between min and max was sat in the catch can presumably having been pushed there by boost pressure when the turbo let go. That was a little bit of a shock when draining the little bit of water out of the catch tank and suddenly dumped a load of oil on my driveway (oops!)

Threw my toys out the pram a little with the lack of support from Turbo Technics so I ordered a Precision Turbo PT5858 Ball Bearing full turbo kit from Ross Sport that should actually be a decent power boost but more importantly gets me away from the fragile S205B turbos. Could have gone much bigger on the turbo but I want a good usable powerband not a 1/4 mile monster.

PT5858 Kit was delivered and the manifold is a complete work of art from JMF;

J6KiNzbl.jpeg

Got it all assembled (and I won't mention the V Band clamp I snapped *cough*)

3pTyVRml.jpeg

9CfBDAil.jpeg

And started fitting it

GC13l2cl.jpeg

bBsPYcP.jpeg

And that's where we're up to so far. I had a delivery earlier today of some extra hoses I was waiting for (oil drain & connection between turbo and IC pipework) so will crack on if/when I get a break in the rain :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Had about 5-7 friends, work colleagues etc win cars, bikes, money etc with DCG but never been lucky enough myself and all of them have talked about how well they were treated by DCG with any "post win" issues, did you speak to them after the turbo let go at all? I'm frankly quite surprised by TurboTechnics attitude though, they've been really good in the past but I haven't used them in about 15 years I guess so I've no idea whats happened to them since for them to act like that.

TBH, after being told about the condition of that first S205B turbo, I just wouldn't have used another one even though it was the quickest/easiest way to get the car back running but thats all 20/20 hindsight I suppose, but that new PT turbo looks very nice and the quality of the two different manifolds looks to be worlds apart!

As a quick question - Do you know the make of the Water/Meth kit that's fitted and are you buying pre-mix fluid or making your own?

Soldato
I won £12k on dream car giveaways, so pleased to see another winner on here.

As got turbo technics, don't get me started. Had a massive argument with them beginning of this year. Not what they used to be!

Associate
Lovely car OP and an interesting read, thank you. Nearly bought an Evo 7 last year but got scared last minute that things would go wrong given the age of them.

Soldato
Lovely car OP and an interesting read, thank you. Nearly bought an Evo 7 last year but got scared last minute that things would go wrong given the age of them.

The drivetribe channel on youtube bought a £25,000 Evo that looked in very good condition.

Not long after they were making a video called

EXPENSIVE Problems Found With Our Evo VIII FQ300​

Associate
The drivetribe channel on youtube bought a £25,000 Evo that looked in very good condition.

Not surprised, I bet a lot of cars of this sort and of that age will have or will soon have something wrong. The 1 I nearly bought I was put off because the seller said zero rust but there it was, only a little bit, but still there, around the front suspension turrets. Said nope there and then and got the train home, good job I bought a return. The experience re-inforced my fears on old sports car and I bought a Golf R instead.

Associate
OP
Beauty! We need some videos of it in action tho. :D

Definitely intend to sort that out :D The old turbo made some amazing turbo sounds hoping the new one will too lol. To date the only videos I have of it have my friend giggling her head off though them :D

I won £12k on dream car giveaways, so pleased to see another winner on here.

As got turbo technics, don't get me started. Had a massive argument with them beginning of this year. Not what they used to be!
Had about 5-7 friends, work colleagues etc win cars, bikes, money etc with DCG but never been lucky enough myself and all of them have talked about how well they were treated by DCG with any "post win" issues, did you speak to them after the turbo let go at all? I'm frankly quite surprised by TurboTechnics attitude though, they've been really good in the past but I haven't used them in about 15 years I guess so I've no idea whats happened to them since for them to act like that.

TBH, after being told about the condition of that first S205B turbo, I just wouldn't have used another one even though it was the quickest/easiest way to get the car back running but thats all 20/20 hindsight I suppose, but that new PT turbo looks very nice and the quality of the two different manifolds looks to be worlds apart!

As a quick question - Do you know the make of the Water/Meth kit that's fitted and are you buying pre-mix fluid or making your own?

I've dealt with TurboTechnics multiple times over the years and I'd go as far as to say I was shocked how bad they were with support on this occasion. Used them loads in the past without hesitation, not sure I would at all in future now though.

The Water/Meth kit is all AEM stuff, running 50/50 mix. Has a 5 gallon tank in the boot which was full when I got the car so not something I've had to mess about with myself just yet.

Elephant in the room though, this is actually the second Evo I've won from DCG (I know the odds must be crazy, although I did spend rather a lot with them especially when an Evo comes up) - I first won an Evo 9 GT from them early 2022 I think it was. Ran it for 9 months or so before man maths suggested I could sell that & the Ferrari 360 I had at the time for a McLaren 650S. Actually sold that Evo back to DCG and regretted it so a little ironic to win another. If I'm honest I contemplated asking DCG if they would contribute towards new turbo but decided against it, the car was running great for the 6 weeks before the turbo lunched itself. Sadly just old turbo tech at the limit of what it can handle I think.

Regarding the Turbo & Previous owner, honestly I don't think the previous owner would have sold it with a rough turbo, wasn't the type to penny pinch as attested by the huge stack of receipts I have with the car and all the work he'd done on it.

Odd Autos did do a couple of videos on my Evo when DCG first bought it though;

RE the Drivetribe Evo, sadly unless you buy one that's been completely overhauled it's pretty likely it will need to be. Mines on 58k miles from memory and as mentioned had a bare shell restoration done by RG Motorsport with stacks of new parts from Mitsubishi building it back up. They paid not too far off the entry point of market money for theirs (albeit they can sometimes be had for high teens if in very rough shape) so wasn't too surprised to hear about the issues. I believe DCG paid c. £40k when they bought this one to raffle. My last Evo 9 was equally as clean underneath but not as modified and sold that for £35k

Pics from the underside refresh in 2021 I think it was. Just as clean underneath now :)

eUbbsv7.jpeg

OxOrzi2.jpeg

Ktc166D.jpeg

6l7Ujdd.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
The Water/Meth kit is all AEM stuff, running 50/50 mix. Has a 5 gallon tank in the boot which was full when I got the car so not something I've had to mess about with myself just yet.

I'm running an Aquamist HFS V4 water/meth kit with a 1.25 gallon (5L-ish) tank and I use Devils Own pre-mix 50/50 fluid "by weight" (see spoiler) which cost about £55 for 20L inc shipping and the the only pre-mix I can find in the UK.

You can try to mix your own fluid but be aware that 50/50 "by weight" or 50/50 "by volume" will give you different ratio of Meth to Water due to the different weights for the same amount of individual liquid i.e. Water (1L=1Kg) vs Methanol (1L = 0.8Kg) - so 50/50 "by volume" is in reality about 60/40 water/meth whereas as "by weight" is a perfect 50/50 but you've added more meth than water (why does it have to be so complex :D)

Anyway, that 5L tank and its 2 spray nozzles (one per bank on the V10) only gets used at WOT for and so it lasts me about 2-3 months meaning your 5 gallons, depending on the heft of your right foot, should last a while I would guess!

Associate
OP
I'm running an Aquamist HFS V4 water/meth kit with a 1.25 gallon (5L-ish) tank and I use Devils Own pre-mix 50/50 fluid "by weight" (see spoiler) which cost about £55 for 20L inc shipping and the the only pre-mix I can find in the UK.

You can try to mix your own fluid but be aware that 50/50 "by weight" or 50/50 "by volume" will give you different ratio of Meth to Water due to the different weights for the same amount of individual liquid i.e. Water (1L=1Kg) vs Methanol (1L = 0.8Kg) - so 50/50 "by volume" is in reality about 60/40 water/meth whereas as "by weight" is a perfect 50/50 but you've added more meth than water (why does it have to be so complex :D)

Anyway, that 5L tank and its 2 spray nozzles (one per bank on the V10) only gets used at WOT for and so it lasts me about 2-3 months meaning your 5 gallons, depending on the heft of your right foot, should last a while I would guess!

Appreciate that - may have to reach out to bend your ear a little more about the meth setup in that case :) I know my setup is just a single nozzle & I've been told by previous owner it uses it a fair bit in High boost or when antilag is switched on, uses it a tiny bit in low boost at WOT. I think the trigger is throttle position and boost pressure but could be wrong. My intention when it goes in for mapping is to see if low boost can run with no water meth (like the idea of having a backup incase of any issues etc) and High boost taking whatever it needs.

Good to know about the Devils Own, that was the one I was planning to use to top mine up before sending it off for mapping. The previous owner I believe used to buy meth on eBay and self mix but I prefer the idea of minimal handling of the stuff if I'm honest.

Back
Top Bottom