Poll: Russian Grand Prix 2021, Sochi - Race 15

Rate the 2021 Russian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
FP3 Cancelled.

For a few seasons F1 has been lucky with the rain. Now though the rain is showing it up. It needs to have a clear strategy in place for adverse weather. Starting with tracks that can actually drain, good wet weather tyres and cars that race in the rain on a proper wet track. Not talking complete washouts but generally these days we don't get any running until it's intermediates

Soldato
Not talking complete washouts but generally these days we don't get any running until it's intermediates
It's because the wets create too much spray when there's any real water.

It's a tricky situation. There are a few ways to create less spray, but that would mean the cars would need to be 10 seconds a lap slower in the dry. You need to lose downforce (and turbulence) and you need less efficient wet tyres in a way, but then you risk crashes on straights, which even the thought of frankly terrifies me.

People talk about the 90s when we they ran in worse conditions and had some classic races, but that was Bernie being completely irresponsible. Eg Suzuka 1994 we had multiple cars spinning off on the S/F straight (thankfully all came to rest at the side of the track) and a marshal suffered a mangled leg when Brundle crashed at Dunlop. Spain 1996, again a famous race, but multiple cars crashed on the S/F straight, including the eventual world champion. Brazil 96 and Spa 98 we were extremely lucky not to have two horrific airplane crashes, and F1 dodged a bullet in the pile-up at the start in the latter. It would be worse now with far more torque, more downforce as well as more spray. The better the wet tyres the more spray you get.

In a way I think there's only so much they can do with the cars, tracks and tyres but I can't see how they do much more than making marginal improvements. I think F1 needs a more flexible backup plan; bringing events forward in a weekend if it means a chance of running or running on Mondays if needed (like they do in American motorsport) and if needs be shorten the following event to 2 days. It wouldn't be ideal for fans, but it's better than having no racing at all, like in Spa.

It's only going to get worse too with extreme weather being linked to climate change.

Last edited:
Caporegime
FP3 Cancelled.

For a few seasons F1 has been lucky with the rain. Now though the rain is showing it up. It needs to have a clear strategy in place for adverse weather. Starting with tracks that can actually drain, good wet weather tyres and cars that race in the rain on a proper wet track. Not talking complete washouts but generally these days we don't get any running until it's intermediates

The weather today is crazy, there's no way any kind of normal race car could run on it. We've seen plenty of practice sessions cancelled in previous seasons too, it's just the farce at Spa that has really concentrated people's minds on this.

Soldato
If spray is the biggest barrier to running in the rain why don't they force all teams to fit mud/rain guards at a certain point and just get on with it? :p

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I'm reminded of all those years where people, including some on here, used 'not running in the rain' as a stick with which to bash NASCAR and IndyCar (or CART and IRL after The Great Divide™).

Just gonna go ahead and bask in the smugness for a minute or three ;)

Associate
If spray is the biggest barrier to running in the rain why don't they force all teams to fit mud/rain guards at a certain point and just get on with it? :p

I can see F1 mudguards being aerodynamic devices designed to lift spray into the faces of cars behind (and multi-£1000s to make!)

Soldato
I'm reminded of all those years where people, including some on here, used 'not running in the rain' as a stick with which to bash NASCAR and IndyCar (or CART and IRL after The Great Divide™).

Just gonna go ahead and bask in the smugness for a minute or three ;)
Indycar and NASCAR have always raced in the wet as far as I know, just not on the ovals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom