• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX 580 OR VEGA 56 For Ultra wide 1080p at current Prices

Soldato
Remember that the vega 56 should be easy to flash with a 64 bios for that extra juice free performance. Just be on the safe side and only do it on a card with dual bios.

Soldato
In my personal opinion a GPU's life span is about 3 years.

After 3, tech usually has moved on sufficiently enough, games are using features your hardware doesn't support and it is starting to struggle at average IQ at your native resolution.

I would choose a Vega 56 over a 580 all day long.

Soldato
I had an LG Ultrawide (before I dropped and smashed it!) paired with an AMD 480. I understand the 580 is of similar performance.

Whilst frames in games like Battlefield was acceptable I felt the 480 was under powered (paired with a 8350 cpu may not help things on minimums). I didn't realise how weak the 480 was until I sold it when they were getting ridiculous money on eBay and replaced with a GTX980 which smashes the 480 out of the water.

My recommendation would be buy the best you can afford so if you want to stick with Freesync go Vega56 or save on the SSD and go 1070 or even 1080.

Soldato
I had an LG Ultrawide (before I dropped and smashed it!) paired with an AMD 480. I understand the 580 is of similar performance.

Whilst frames in games like Battlefield was acceptable I felt the 480 was under powered (paired with a 8350 cpu may not help things on minimums). I didn't realise how weak the 480 was until I sold it when they were getting ridiculous money on eBay and replaced with a GTX980 which smashes the 480 out of the water.

My recommendation would be buy the best you can afford so if you want to stick with Freesync go Vega56 or save on the SSD and go 1070 or even 1080.

Your problem here was most likely your AMD cpu. The 480 is pretty close to the gtx980 with a decent cpu. With a crap cpu then the Nvidia card will be faster as it has less cpu overhead. The 480 is pretty much a lower clocked 580 which is as fast if not faster than the gtx980. If a gtx980 smashes a 480 out of the water then there is something up unless you are talking around launch time where the 480 was held back via drivers. Different story these days.

Soldato
Your problem here was most likely your AMD cpu. The 480 is pretty close to the gtx980 with a decent cpu. With a crap cpu then the Nvidia card will be faster as it has less cpu overhead. The 480 is pretty much a lower clocked 580 which is as fast if not faster than the gtx980. If a gtx980 smashes a 480 out of the water then there is something up unless you are talking around launch time where the 480 was held back via drivers. Different story these days.

I knew the CPU would be a bottleneck, however I have seen vast improvements since changing GPU which is sad as it is the first ever none AMD product I have used.

Also the 480 was owned up until a few months back so this is going off latest drivers at the time.

Heaven Benchmark Scores:

480 - 1409
980 - 1957

I would say the 980 smashed the 480 there.

Soldato
I knew the CPU would be a bottleneck, however I have seen vast improvements since changing GPU which is sad as it is the first ever none AMD product I have used.

Also the 480 was owned up until a few months back so this is going off latest drivers at the time.

Heaven Benchmark Scores:

480 - 1409
980 - 1957

I would say the 980 smashed the 480 there.

Never use Heaven as a good comparison between AMD and Nvidia. Nvidia have always had a huge advantage in this test. It's mainly game dependent these days as to what the best brand is when things are close to equal. Any how these days there is nothing much between a 1060/980/390x/480/580. Overclocked i would probably give the gtx980 a slight edge but it's not blowing any of them out of the water.

Any how to the op i would try and bag a cheap Vega 56. They are on Pre-order for £389.99 which i think is a much better buy than a RX580 at £300. This is going off OCUK prices.

Back
Top Bottom