• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rx 7800 xt hellhound (black screen, slow boot, drivers missing)

Associate
Evening,

I have been trying to get the card working for weeks now. Fresh windows install, all updates, new drivers, latest bios
After installing restart is required, boot until logo is fine but then straight after it hangs, takes a while to get to login screen, then logging in takes a while. Upon running games/bench no drivers found
Device manager code 43 on the gpu
Sometimes card works as if nothing is wrong but thats on a rare occasion
Tried 3 psus, 650, 850, 1250 gold rated all resulting in the same issue, swapped ram, reset bios, running without amd-xmp
RMAd the card, ocuk ran multiple tests no error found:

NFF - Reported struggling to boot, getting stuck on BIOS splashscreen or hanging on blackscreen with driver errors - Installed in a 7800X3D system and connected to a 1440p 144Hz display with no issues booting to desktop and loading drivers. Shutdown and restarted to confirm and then restarted to confirm all display outputs operate with no issues. Put under load in games and benchmarks and restarted at random intervals with no issues loading back to desktop and applying drivers. Returned no fault found

I am lost, read most of googled issues/solutions, nothing
Can someone shed some light onto this or point me in the right direction
So frustrated as had rtx 3070 prior to rx7800 and it was flawless

Amd 5700x, b550m wifi plus ii, 16gb ram

Last edited:
I had a similar issue and posted about it in this thread but it was with a 6600XT. I see you have tried different PSU's but if those PSU were slightly older ones with multiple 12v rails they don't tend to work all that well with newer graphics cards so it's better to use PSU's that have a single 12v rail.

I had a similar issue and posted about it in this thread but it was with a 6600XT. I see you have tried different PSU's but if those PSU were slightly older ones with multiple 12v rails they don't tend to work all that well with newer graphics cards so it's better to use PSU's that have a single 12v rail.
Just bought Cooler Master MWE Gold 1250 V2 last week, thought it was good enough

Are you using separate power cables into the card and not daisy chaining. Can you also change the pcie slot the card is in. Trying the card on a different machine is a good shout.

Have you tried a bit of undervolting / power limiting on the card? Can you strip your rig back to one stick of ram and one hard drive? Do you have a completely different set of ram you can try?

The fact you tried it in two systems leads me to believe it’s the card. As above I would try limiting the cards power by using -10 or -15 offset.

Yeah, I would get back to OC and get this card replaced. Go with a different brand Sapphire maybe ? (had a lot of sapphire cards in this house and never had an issue with any). Doesn't matter if they have tested, clearly something wrong and not worth anymore of your time.

Could it be a problem with OP's hard drive? Failing hardware or corruption? I know windows has been reinstalled, but if the underlying drive is faulty, then you're b*ggered before you even begin. I know everything points to GPU but if OCUK have plugged it in and stressed it and all is fine then that kinda suggests it is something else. Especially struggling to boot and missing drivers. Doesn't sound GPU to me. @CivilDrone what drives you running?

Last edited:
Device code 43 had a variety of causes. Faulty drivers, faulty card or faulty pcie slot. Do you still have your old Nvidia card to test PC with ? I recently spent 2 days trying to diagnose a similar issue on my lads mates new PC. Card was an Nvidia 4060. Kept saying drivers were at fault however when it went back to the shop they replaced the card and all is now well.

I guess it might be worth having a play in the bios, ensure PCI 4 enabled and smart memory ( I know not required but might be worth a try)

Last edited:
Morning All,
Thank you for all the help
Did not want to jump the gun before fully testing everything
Tried with yet another cpu/mobo/ram/nvme
And just like before it worked for few hours and after powering down the system device manager disabled the card/error message
Cannot install drivers, oops something went wrong message
And story repeats itself
What i have noticed is artifacts only now and again on boot up screen just past logo
Would not even boot sometimes resulting in blank screen however pressing power buttons shows shutting down

Morning All,
Thank you for all the help
Did not want to jump the gun before fully testing everything
Tried with yet another cpu/mobo/ram/nvme
And just like before it worked for few hours and after powering down the system device manager disabled the card/error message
Cannot install drivers, oops something went wrong message
And story repeats itself
What i have noticed is artifacts only now and again on boot up screen just past logo
Would not even boot sometimes resulting in blank screen however pressing power buttons shows shutting down
I think you have to argue that with oc and get them to replace it. Really does sound like a duff card.

@CivilDrone Does sound like a borked card. It could be due to somethign with your specific hardware combo and as such I would in a desperate attempt try and mess with CSM settings(bios) in case you haven't all ready. I remember my 6700XT being a bit picky with how I had my CSM settings on AM4. I would also try and run it on a linux install but this step of course require that you know the basics of linux. In case you are desperate enough to give linux a go you can get LACT to control your GPU including core clocking, memory clocking and power budget control among other things. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get it sorted. Maybe find a bloke near you who will let you test the card in their system?

Card should work out of the box
Sometimes it does :D Then after multiple DDU runs, installs, disablings it runs for a bit more
Tried on 3 different systems with random hardware options AMD and INTEL, should not be like this
I dont understand what causes it to trigger the errors

Card should work out of the box
Sometimes it does :D Then after multiple DDU runs, installs, disablings it runs for a bit more
Tried on 3 different systems with random hardware options AMD and INTEL, should not be like this
I dont understand what causes it to trigger the errors
A lot of people stating that code 43 is a clear hardware failure, honestly I would not give this card anymore of your time, you need to speak to OC again and argue the toss. No card should be like this, its not an AMD thing, I have been through 5 AMD cards in this house (kids machines as well as mine) in the last 5 years and all have just worked out of the box.

Last edited:
Did you try fresh install of windows with the gpu in during installation? Or safe mode at least tested?

Just wondering if you had DDU the old amd and nvidia drivers from ur system as well.

Remove bloatware like anything like ique or whatever its called or asus stuff like Armoury Crate.

Ur not using a pcie riser are you?

Does that gpu have a switch for diff bioses? If so maybe try the other one.

Does the gpu sag i.e heavy, maybe needs a stand support or something? Put the pc on its side to rule that one out tho so gravity isnt causing sagging. To test.

In bios, if its not working great in pci 4 mode, try 3.

Pics of internals would help to see ur cabling of the pcie cables from psu to gpu, and to see if ur using a gpu support stand for the sag properly etc.

Last edited:
Did you try fresh install of windows with the gpu in during installation? Or safe mode at least tested?

Just wondering if you had DDU the old amd and nvidia drivers from ur system as well.

Remove bloatware like anything like ique or whatever its called or asus stuff like Armoury Crate.

Ur not using a pcie riser are you?

Does that gpu have a switch for diff bioses? If so maybe try the other one.

Does the gpu sag i.e heavy, maybe needs a stand support or something? Put the pc on its side to rule that one out tho so gravity isnt causing sagging. To test.

In bios, if its not working great in pci 4 mode, try 3.

Pics of internals would help to see ur cabling of the pcie cables from psu to gpu, and to see if ur using a gpu support stand for the sag properly etc.
I fresh install windows upon getting a new component most of the time or every other 6 months - no bloatware, just windows update
Tried DDU in/out safe mode
Different drivers, driver/package only
No risers, 2 power cables, tried both oc and silent bios switch
Tried GPU in another Intel machine which was on the side, made no difference (no sag)
Tried optimal settings in bios, tried auto and other pcie options
rx 3070 and 3060 tested with zero issues
I have pretty much tried every possible trick in the book and failed

Back
Top Bottom