• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RX480 FANS ON FULL THROTTLE

Associate
I have a RX480, fans seem to be stuck on 100% no matter what (3780rpm) I have flashed the bios, tried MSI Afterburner with no effect on fan speed, the FPS and graphics are excellent so the card is working spot on just fans stuck on high, I'm wondering would it be possible to just remove the fans complenty and buy some normal cooling fans to fix on somehow where orignal fans where, obviously these wont be plugged into the gpu but straight to the mobo like some 80mm artic fans

Only thing I have not done is went into the GOU bios and change fan curve that way only because I have no idea how to get into GPU bios

Soldato
I have a RX480, fans seem to be stuck on 100% no matter what (3780rpm) I have flashed the bios, tried MSI Afterburner with no effect on fan speed, the FPS and graphics are excellent so the card is working spot on just fans stuck on high, I'm wondering would it be possible to just remove the fans complenty and buy some normal cooling fans to fix on somehow where orignal fans where, obviously these wont be plugged into the gpu but straight to the mobo like some 80mm artic fans

Only thing I have not done is went into the GOU bios and change fan curve that way only because I have no idea how to get into GPU bios

Are the GPU fans running at 100% on startup i.e. before the you load windows and load the GPU drivers? If so then you have an issue with the card I'm afraid, you could look at getting them attached to a manual controller, you just have to remember to change the speed when running games or anything GPU intensive.

You could also try pulling the card out the socket and put it into another slot. What temps are getting MSI Afterburner? Normally fans only run at 100% if the GPU temps are really high.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Are the GPU fans running at 100% on startup i.e. before the you load windows and load the GPU drivers? If so then you have an issue with the card I'm afraid, you could look at getting them attached to a manual controller, you just have to remember to change the speed when running games or anything GPU intensive.

You could also try pulling the card out the socket and put it into another slot. What temps are getting MSI Afterburner? Normally fans only run at 100% if the GPU temps are really high.
Hi, Yes fans are running like this from the second I power the PC on, the temps are fine, idle around 30° underload go up to about 70°
I was thinking of removing the fans completely as they are very loud and adding some 80mm 3000rpm fans on, so its constantly spinning at 3000rpm (like it is now) but with silent fans, and would be connected to the mobo

Associate
Did you buy this card second hand? (Wondering if someone bios modded the fans to go full only)
And have you tried to see if the fan connector for the fans on the GPU is properly seated? An unseated or slightly bent connection can actually cause oddities with fan use and fan control exactly as you described.

As for replacing fans on a GPU, it's entirely possible and I've done it myself on a RX580 (so basically largely the same card) and used much quieter fans to keep it running cool but at full speeds. It uses zipties to hold the fans to the heatsink that the card comes with. I'll see if I can find a pic and show it more clearly, but yes, it is entirely possible to replace the fans on the card.

Associate
I think they might have flashed it in case there was something dud in the BIOS code keeping the fans on full and if so the BIOS flash should have cleared that up (in theory).

If they flashed beforehand, then that might be the cause for the issue with the fans. Need more info.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Still no answer to the drivers question, I had a set of drivers do this.

Yeah, my kids have my old RX480 and one set of drivers did exactly this. Rolled back to the old one and it was fine, newer driver was released and so updated to that one and it was fine again.

Not sure the 480 gets much love these days with drivers unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom