Ryanair buys 75 737 Max

• Thread starter Thread starter nam
  • Start date Start date
Don't some of the budget airlines require their own pilots pay for the training if they want to cross-train onto a new model of plane used by the airline ? Got to be utterly cancerous for staff moral and retention.

only the US regulator FAA have recertified this they were the reason for the poor certification in the first place. The FAA report is not worthy of the paper it is written on. Waiting to see what the EASA report shows as this is where Ryanair operates European Airspace.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Yeah but unfortunately that meant that the pilots weren't prepared for the new feature where the planes flew themselves into the ground.
from the episodes of aircrash investigation I've watched which were probably all episodes from before the 737 max existed, it seems like most crashes are pilot error due to lack of familiarization or from not understanding the planes systems properly. (like the time some pilot let a kid at the controls, unaware if you jerked the control around in particular way it overrode the controls and the kid sent the plane in to a unrecoverable dive)

kinda crazy they would fast track pilot training to a few hours unless the cockpit and system are identical to something they are used to.

I’ll happily fly on a 737 max if it was Jet 2 Tui, BA etc. But I’d never fly on that horrible airline. Don’t care if they are £300 cheaper just don’t and won’t fly with them.
Jet 2 and EasyJet never had a problem ever. Prefer EasyJet’s Airbus fleet and prefer Jet 2 service. 10 holidays with Jet 2 to Rhodes and always perfect.

. . . kinda crazy they would fast track pilot training to a few hours unless the cockpit and system are identical to something they are used to.
I believe that one of the USPs of the 737 Max was that conversion training was less extensive than it would be on a "New" aircraft. I seem to recall reading that training on the MCAS was considered to be unimportant because MCAS couldn't go wrong.

I also believe that the 737 Max ad behaved erratically a couple of times in the US but that the pilots involved had used their experience and initiative to avoid plummeting into the ground rather than relying on the avionics to sort out the problem - as their training probably told them they should have done - with fatal consequences.

I seem to remember one problem being a reduced number of sensors by design and software making an approximation or best guess which was the issue. I don't think they actually increased the number of sensors, just fiddled with software?

In any critical system, you ideally want 3 sources of data to come to a conclusion and I thought that wasn't the case here.

What scares me about budget airlines is that you can imagine them having a horrific crash and then the company goes under because no one will fly with them. But then the planes just get resprayed and leased to another airline.

It's like the brand is budget and everyone kind of hates it. Not like quality airline with a reputation to lose.

Never had a problem with Ryanair used them loads its basic and does the job plus the ladies are far better then Easyjet :cool:

As for these new planes it kind of puts a thought in back of your mind hope they are safe!

I seem to remember one problem being a reduced number of sensors by design and software making an approximation or best guess which was the issue. I don't think they actually increased the number of sensors, just fiddled with software?

Yeap, there's two Angle Of Attack (AOA or ADD) probes on the outside which measure the angle the aircraft is flying relative to the airflow. In the original setup only one of these was used by the MCAS system during flight and which one was picked for use was automatically changed every flight so, even with two sensors, it was specifically designed to include a single point of failure which, in a safety critical aviation design, should be considered criminal negligence and I'm amazed no-one has been sued at the very least and criminally investigated at worst.

Back
Top Bottom