Ryan's Headphone Review Thread

Soldato
Maybe a cached version of this page or whatever it's called.

If it's not too much work could you add pricing to the reviews to give the reader an idea where these headphones sit cost wise.

Last edited:
Soldato
The impedance isn't the whole story though, you also need to know how sensitive to impedance change the headphones are. The AKG Q701 have an input impedance of 56 ohms but are not overly sensitive to impedance change and so don't suffer from a mismatch. Something like a Koss Porta pro has a nominal input impedance of 50 ohms but can spike up to 150 ohms around their resonant frequency (around 70Hz). Even worse are the Sennheiser HD 598 which have a nominal 50 ohm impedance but spike up to 300 ohms at around 100 Hz. This would mean that the bass would be wild and woolly with a relatively high impedance amplifier such as the STX.

Obviously any headphone with an impedance of 80 ohms or higher will be good to go but there are also a lot of others with lower impedances that will be fine too.

Caporegime
Understood, I just don't want to purchase an external amp or dac that's all.

K712PRO are 64 ohms aren't they? I think it's going to take some willpower to not buy them from massdrop.

This 8:1 ratio is a pile of Broscience and Im sick of seeing it.

Oh lol, I'll not bother worrying about the ohms then unless they're really high like 300 and would need a better amp than the STX has to drive em properly.

Associate
OP
Maybe a cached version of this page or whatever it's called.

If it's not too much work could you add pricing to the reviews to give the reader an idea where these headphones sit cost wise.

I was actually going to do this I'll add those I'll try find a way too get the 702 review back argh it's a nightmare! If not I'll rewrite it after the next review.

Soldato
Cache has been updated so it's not there now, luckily I caught it when it was still up.

The K702 shares a lot of similarities to it's younger brother the K701. Housing is essentially the same but they now have a removable cable and also a flat headband similar to the one on the K712 and the 65th Annie

My review is going to be about the original 702 with the bumps on the headband.

Build and comfort

The build of the AKG K701/702 is identical. Solid plastic with no metal parts. While I'd like to see some metal, plastic is lighter and less prone to scuffs and every metal headphone I've owned seems to always be prone to weak spots. The headband is leather, it's a very stiff leather with the bumps on the inside. The headband has the auto adjust sliders so no faffing around with clicks like many other headphones.

Cable is mini XLR and detachable, AKG always make high quality cables so they will last a long time. The pads are quite hard, they are velour and very deep. The build is excellent as expected, AKG have mastered their design and I wouldn't worry about weak spots unless you are very unlucky.

Bass

Bass on the K701 7 bumps was quite rolled off. They weren't AD700 rolled off but they were not what I'd consider a complete headphone. The 702 sounds the same as the 8 Bump K701. Bass on the K702 is also pretty lifeless and rolls off but sounds more full then the older K701. You will hear most of the low notes fine, at the lowest pockets not so much. The weaker bass however, also helps this headphone to be an absolute detail monster for gaming and for those that like a headphone that is more analytical.

Mids & Treble

The mids on the older K701 and the newer 8 bump K701 were both forward sounding. On the older K701 they had this weird plastic timbre to them. On the newer 701/702 it doesn't seem to be much of an issue any more. The mids are detailed, separation very good too, vocals have a detailed, smooth tone to them The upper mids can get a little shouty though at times giving the headphones a bit of an unnatural feeling in the higher mids. Instruments sound quite natural with a nice sense of air and intricacy.

I think the mids are beautiful for the most part, gamers will be pretty immersed when it comes to it's ability to pick up small details in the virtual space. Another issue I have is the K702 has very little body in the mids but this can also work as a pro if people want that detailed, airy sound.

The Treble on the K702 is actually quite smooth sounding but the upper mid peak can give the impression that the AKGs are quite bright up top. Now they can be a tad bright, the treble is extended and pretty airy..well, very airy. This is a very open headphone all throughout but the treble just gives it so much air on top. Along with the mids, this headphone will pick just about any sound you hear in the track or game.

Soundstage & Accuracy

The original K701 was famous for a super wide and airy soundstage. I found the soundstage of the original to not be very fined, it sounded endless which can make some recordings sound too spaced out. In games though, this could actually be a pro because in open world games sounded truly open, with this gush of air that was unlike any other headphone. The K702 follows with an equally large stage but has a bit more definition. It's super airy, super wide and more natural.

It's a no brainer that a relatively balanced sound combined with a large soundstage will have excellent imaging for games and music. It does! surprised? no course not, the 702 is excellent in this area so those competitive gamers will have a blast killing everything they hear. Professionals will also appreciate it's imaging capabilities.

Competitive and Fun gaming

You've probably guessed by now that these are a beast for competitive gaming. The open stage and godlike accuracy make this a deadly tool to have to get that edge. I would compare it too the other gods, AD700, MA900 and friends. The slightly added bass doesn't mask up any detail since these are still below neutral. Footsteps are so easy to pin point that it will feel like you are cheating.

For fun, these are fun in some areas and lacking in others. I think a good headphone for immersion is something that can render mids well and sound open with a nice full bass. These do everything nearly correct, the air sounds amazing, open spaces sound like they go on for miles! games like Read Dead Redemption for example, it's not amazingly recorded but with the mixamp you pay attention to every detail! Crickets at nice sound relaxing, hearing birds in the distance and other little world noises that you pick up. One thing it's missing is the that low end, explosions won't have that impact of say the Annies or K712 both in other areas they are fantastic.

Compared to some other headphones

K612 Pro

While they are related there's a lot of differences. The K612 is a more balanced headphone, it's more natural sounding and steals that fantastic imaging from the K702 although slightly inferior. The K612 however, doesn't have nearly the soundstage that the 702 has. The 612 has a layered, medium sound stage for an open phone so it isn't a slouch at all. The K612 is warmer, bassier and probably and all round better and complete headphone. The K702 though is more competitive oriented and images a little better than the K612. it's much more airy and detailed. If I had to pick one for music, it would be the K612 but for gaming the open space of the 702 wins me over every time.

9/10 Excellent
AKGs tried and tested build still remains one of the most durable headphones ever. Few moving parts, solid plastic for durable and comfort!

7.5/10 Good
While the K702 is amazing in areas, the lack of bass will be a problem for most, I found that this headphone was only suitable for certain genres but what they do for those genres is very good.

10/10 Perfect
You can't ask for more when it comes to pure competitive gaming, every detail is heared and every footstep is found. Simple godlike!

7/10 Good
Nice open airy space, nice tone! Game world sounds give you the impression that you are really in the game. Sadly the lack of low end doesn't give the immersion that some may require.

7.5/10
Excellent in most areas, sadly it doesn't feel a complete headphone but it does a lot so well that it would't make sense to give it a lower score. Genre specific, but and beast for competitive gaming!

Soldato
Understood, I just don't want to purchase an external amp or dac that's all.

K712PRO are 64 ohms aren't they? I think it's going to take some willpower to not buy them from massdrop.

Oh lol, I'll not bother worrying about the ohms then unless they're really high like 300 and would need a better amp than the STX has to drive em properly.

With the STX you only have to be concerned if they are low impedance, not high. The K712 pro are fine, as are the Sennheiser HD 600 and 650, it's really only the odd headphone that has serious issues with impedance.

Associate
OP
Cache has been updated so it's not there now, luckily I caught it when it was still up.

The K702 shares a lot of similarities to it's younger brother the K701. Housing is essentially the same but they now have a removable cable and also a flat headband similar to the one on the K712 and the 65th Annie

My review is going to be about the original 702 with the bumps on the headband.

Build and comfort

The build of the AKG K701/702 is identical. Solid plastic with no metal parts. While I'd like to see some metal, plastic is lighter and less prone to scuffs and every metal headphone I've owned seems to always be prone to weak spots. The headband is leather, it's a very stiff leather with the bumps on the inside. The headband has the auto adjust sliders so no faffing around with clicks like many other headphones.

Cable is mini XLR and detachable, AKG always make high quality cables so they will last a long time. The pads are quite hard, they are velour and very deep. The build is excellent as expected, AKG have mastered their design and I wouldn't worry about weak spots unless you are very unlucky.

Bass

Bass on the K701 7 bumps was quite rolled off. They weren't AD700 rolled off but they were not what I'd consider a complete headphone. The 702 sounds the same as the 8 Bump K701. Bass on the K702 is also pretty lifeless and rolls off but sounds more full then the older K701. You will hear most of the low notes fine, at the lowest pockets not so much. The weaker bass however, also helps this headphone to be an absolute detail monster for gaming and for those that like a headphone that is more analytical.

Mids & Treble

The mids on the older K701 and the newer 8 bump K701 were both forward sounding. On the older K701 they had this weird plastic timbre to them. On the newer 701/702 it doesn't seem to be much of an issue any more. The mids are detailed, separation very good too, vocals have a detailed, smooth tone to them The upper mids can get a little shouty though at times giving the headphones a bit of an unnatural feeling in the higher mids. Instruments sound quite natural with a nice sense of air and intricacy.

I think the mids are beautiful for the most part, gamers will be pretty immersed when it comes to it's ability to pick up small details in the virtual space. Another issue I have is the K702 has very little body in the mids but this can also work as a pro if people want that detailed, airy sound.

The Treble on the K702 is actually quite smooth sounding but the upper mid peak can give the impression that the AKGs are quite bright up top. Now they can be a tad bright, the treble is extended and pretty airy..well, very airy. This is a very open headphone all throughout but the treble just gives it so much air on top. Along with the mids, this headphone will pick just about any sound you hear in the track or game.

Soundstage & Accuracy

The original K701 was famous for a super wide and airy soundstage. I found the soundstage of the original to not be very fined, it sounded endless which can make some recordings sound too spaced out. In games though, this could actually be a pro because in open world games sounded truly open, with this gush of air that was unlike any other headphone. The K702 follows with an equally large stage but has a bit more definition. It's super airy, super wide and more natural.

It's a no brainer that a relatively balanced sound combined with a large soundstage will have excellent imaging for games and music. It does! surprised? no course not, the 702 is excellent in this area so those competitive gamers will have a blast killing everything they hear. Professionals will also appreciate it's imaging capabilities.

Competitive and Fun gaming

You've probably guessed by now that these are a beast for competitive gaming. The open stage and godlike accuracy make this a deadly tool to have to get that edge. I would compare it too the other gods, AD700, MA900 and friends. The slightly added bass doesn't mask up any detail since these are still below neutral. Footsteps are so easy to pin point that it will feel like you are cheating.

For fun, these are fun in some areas and lacking in others. I think a good headphone for immersion is something that can render mids well and sound open with a nice full bass. These do everything nearly correct, the air sounds amazing, open spaces sound like they go on for miles! games like Read Dead Redemption for example, it's not amazingly recorded but with the mixamp you pay attention to every detail! Crickets at nice sound relaxing, hearing birds in the distance and other little world noises that you pick up. One thing it's missing is the that low end, explosions won't have that impact of say the Annies or K712 both in other areas they are fantastic.

Compared to some other headphones

K612 Pro

While they are related there's a lot of differences. The K612 is a more balanced headphone, it's more natural sounding and steals that fantastic imaging from the K702 although slightly inferior. The K612 however, doesn't have nearly the soundstage that the 702 has. The 612 has a layered, medium sound stage for an open phone so it isn't a slouch at all. The K612 is warmer, bassier and probably and all round better and complete headphone. The K702 though is more competitive oriented and images a little better than the K612. it's much more airy and detailed. If I had to pick one for music, it would be the K612 but for gaming the open space of the 702 wins me over every time.

9/10 Excellent
AKGs tried and tested build still remains one of the most durable headphones ever. Few moving parts, solid plastic for durable and comfort!

7.5/10 Good
While the K702 is amazing in areas, the lack of bass will be a problem for most, I found that this headphone was only suitable for certain genres but what they do for those genres is very good.

10/10 Perfect
You can't ask for more when it comes to pure competitive gaming, every detail is heared and every footstep is found. Simple godlike!

7/10 Good
Nice open airy space, nice tone! Game world sounds give you the impression that you are really in the game. Sadly the lack of low end doesn't give the immersion that some may require.

7.5/10
Excellent in most areas, sadly it doesn't feel a complete headphone but it does a lot so well that it would't make sense to give it a lower score. Genre specific, but and beast for competitive gaming!

Brilliant cheers for that! :)

Associate
OP
X1 added! Next up I'll complete the AKGs.

Headphone reviews coming up!

DT770
HD650
Sennheiser HD800
MA900
LCD2

Many more will be confirmed so keep checking back 

Other things I will be adding

Prices
Amps
Dolby devices for those gamers!

I have a lot more headphones too add. Hopefully this time next month the guide will be full of life. I don't know what I want to get out of this guide. I was going to do separate reviews but I thought I’d create a guide that reviews headphones in all aspects. I'm trying to trim away a lot of garbage that I’ve seen in others reviews, I get to get to the point about how it actually sounds, I hope it comes off that way.
I also wouldn’t mind in the future if anyone has gear they want reviewed, I can make comparisons and add the review in the guide to help others. Not just yet as I’ve got so much to add first.

Associate
OP
May I make a suggestion? Split your "Music" rating into "Music (pleasure)" and "Music (analysis)", to help differentiate those that are an enjoyable flattering listen, and those that are neutral detail-oriented 'phones.

I can appreciate that you don't want to get bogged down with too much granularity in your reviews, but I think it'd be handy for those who come from the music creation/mixing/critical-listening side of things :)

Just seen this, It's actually a good idea I'll do it. I'll add it tomorrow as I'm cream crackered!

Associate
OP
Love the Annie review lol Only 340 :D

Do you own all the headphones in your sig?

Hahaha it's damn expensive but for what it does it's a bargain when you compare them to these £1000 headphones!

Yeah, well a lot have been sold! I've owned a lot more in the past as I've just been on this crazy journey to try every headphone I can get my hands on. I can't really afford to keep a lot so I'm cutting right back.

Back
Top Bottom