• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 1600 keeps defaulting to 1500

Soldato
Yeh, MSI bioses have been awful.

The current official one for the B350 is littered with bugs for example.

Their forum is awful with the moderator acting really defensively to any mentioning of bugs. He almost takes it as a personal insult that you dare mention a bug without irrefutable evidence (otherwise you just flashed the bios wrong is the go to excuse).

Associate
Well I would email MSI and ask them if they know what it is, as there is no harm in asking.
Well unless they come round your house and beat you to death with your own shoe.

Soldato
The problem is MSI, not ryzen.

Interestingly on the MSI forum they claim the 1.5ghz bug is experienced on other boards too, not just MSI models. I'm not sure though, I haven't seen much evidence.

If they can't sort it out on my Carbon I might have to grab another board.

Soldato
Interestingly on the MSI forum they claim the 1.5ghz bug is experienced on other boards too, not just MSI models. I'm not sure though, I haven't seen much evidence.

If they can't sort it out on my Carbon I might have to grab another board.

O course they would say that. Do a search on here and see howany other boards have this issue?

Soldato
Yeh, MSI bioses have been awful.

The current official one for the B350 is littered with bugs for example.

Their forum is awful with the moderator acting really defensively to any mentioning of bugs. He almost takes it as a personal insult that you dare mention a bug without irrefutable evidence (otherwise you just flashed the bios wrong is the go to excuse).

My mate has a MSI B350 Tomahawk and it runs their Ryzen 5 1600 perfectly fine!!

Associate
OP
here is a reply straight from MSI

Let's set some things straight.
The overclock IS working....
What isn't is the AGESA code from AMD.
The CPU is getting stuck in a lower power state and not clocking up to it's max. It's a pretty known issue with Ryzen right now, and users across ALL OEM's (so Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock, etc...) are all experiencing the same thing. So it's not because you got an MSI motherboard at all, but because of something AMD did with their BIOS code.
It also relates to the CPU to some degree as well. Some CPU's exhibit the issue while others do not. Users went so far as to buy a whole new motherboard, only to find out the issue remained on the new motherboard.

The best you an do is leave VCore at AUTO for now, and set the frequency multiplier to something like 38 or 39, maybe 40 and see if it works well like that.
Unfortunately, at this time, you can go back to using BIOS 1.1, and use that to get a better overclock with the voltage increased. But you may have issues with memory and overclocking your memory then.
I think using a VCore at AUTO on the latest BIOS is probably the best option. Especially if you want to overclock your memory.

so is it the AGESA code from AMD or not?? if it is the code then that would suggest that all manufacturers would be affected???

Soldato
MSI moderators (not actually MSI employees but people on power trips) have been blaming AMD for every problem since release. Ignore them.

They have been banning people that suggest it is MSI's responsibility and refuse to back down. They use one of their rules which says you can't post in a manner which might bash MSI.

Thry refuse to even acknowledge problems until there are too many users with problems to ignore.

Associate
OP
MSI moderators (not actually MSI employees but people on power trips) have been blaming AMD for every problem since release. Ignore them.

They have been banning people that suggest it is MSI's responsibility and refuse to back down. They use one of their rules which says you can't post in a manner which might bash MSI.

Thry refuse to even acknowledge problems until there are too many users with problems to ignore.
i dont know about other board manufacturers but i can say 110% certain that gigabyte do not have this problem on the GAB350m board as my son has that board and it runs absolutely flawless.

so as far as im concerned then yes i agree this is MSIs problem and they appear to be blaming AMD rather than sort the problem/fault themselves

Back
Top Bottom