• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 1700 vs Ryzen 1600

Soldato
Hey guys,

Im having nothing but problems with my current setup..im think of starting from scratch with a better motherboard and a R5 1600..

I am considering this move as my system is mainly for gaming, therefore want to know, if i will still get as good performance from a 1600 in games, and if it will still be quick for general day to day PC tasks?

Soldato
Hey guys,

Im having nothing but problems with my current setup..im think of starting from scratch with a better motherboard and a R5 1600..

I am considering this move as my system is mainly for gaming, therefore want to know, if i will still get as good performance from a 1600 in games, and if it will still be quick for general day to day PC tasks?

What are your problems? What's your RAM speed?
Have you updated the BIOS to the latest one?

Soldato
OP
What are your problems? What's your RAM speed?
Have you updated the BIOS to the latest one?

I cannot get a stable speed on my RAM without a no post boot over and over..Since I reset the battery on the mobo, it wont let me change the Voltage for the CPU, and when I load W10 HWM is telling me the Voltage is at a fixed 1.550v and cannot be changed, I have to put it into power saver mode..

And yes I have updated to F3 which is the latest for my motherboard. :(

Soldato
I wouldn't overclock it too far on that motherboard.

Set voltage to automatic (or 1.25v) and set it at 3.7ghz and leave it.

For GPU bound gaming it won't be that different from 4ghz.

If you have an R7 1700 then see if you can trade down without paying extra to a R5 1600X. Then you won't have to bother manually overclocking as it will do 3.7ghz at stock and 4.1ghz on upto 2 cores with boost.

Last edited:
Soldato
I cannot get a stable speed on my RAM without a no post boot over and over..Since I reset the battery on the mobo, it wont let me change the Voltage for the CPU, and when I load W10 HWM is telling me the Voltage is at a fixed 1.550v and cannot be changed, I have to put it into power saver mode..

And yes I have updated to F3 which is the latest for my motherboard. :(

Use hwinfo. 1.55v is the VID and not the actual voltage.

As for memory, start at 2133mhz and Auto timings. Then move on from there and see if you can get anything higher.

Soldato
Well I meant the value being read, software readings aren't always accurate.

As for changing in the BIOS considering it's a low end motherboard it may not even offer the option, and there's no cooling on the MOSFETs/VRMs so overclocking will be very limited.

Which RAM kit is it? When applying the XMP profile does it also set the right voltage as well?

Perhaps consider going for the GA-AB350M-Gaming 3, recently did a build with that board and with the latest BIOS easily ran the RAM at 2933MHz.

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't overclock it too far on that motherboard.

Set voltage to automatic (or 1.25v) and set it at 3.7ghz and leave it.

For GPU bound gaming it won't be that different from 4ghz.

If you have an R7 1700 then see if you can trade down without paying extra to a R5 1600X. Then you won't have to bother manually overclocking as it will do 3.7ghz at stock and 4.1ghz on upto 2 cores with boost.

I bought the CPU from a competitor so I still have a few days left of a month to return for a exchange/refund, so would it worth changing to the 1600X as I will recoup all my money from the 1700?

Well I meant the value being read, software readings aren't always accurate.

As for changing in the BIOS considering it's a low end motherboard it may not even offer the option, and there's no cooling on the MOSFETs/VRMs so overclocking will be very limited.

Which RAM kit is it? When applying the XMP profile does it also set the right voltage as well?

Perhaps consider going for the GA-AB350M-Gaming 3, recently did a build with that board and with the latest BIOS easily ran the RAM at 2933MHz.

Same applies for my motherboard, I might upgrade that to an X370 motherboard.

Soldato
OP
Use hwinfo. 1.55v is the VID and not the actual voltage.

As for memory, start at 2133mhz and Auto timings. Then move on from there and see if you can get anything higher.

Whoops! My mistake on the Voltage front..

Im still considering changing my CPU and motherboard..Would the CPU (1600X) beifit me more in games than the 1700? And if I either keep/send back the CPU would it still be worth getting a better board?

Soldato

Im still considering changing my CPU and motherboard..Would the CPU (1600X) beifit me more in games than the 1700? And if I either keep/send back the CPU would it still be worth getting a better board?

The only problem I see is that you will take quite a big hit in replacing the motherboard.

How much will it cost you to trade up to

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-69v-as.html

The £100 motherboards are also good, Gaming 3, Gaming K4, Tomahawk. But if you are trading up I'd go for the Strix.

I think your best bet with the motherboard you have is to see if you can get 3.6ghz/3.7ghz on the R7 1700. Then be happy. Otherwise look for a 1600 to try and overclock to 3.8/3.9 or get a 1600X and don't bother doing anything.

You want to avoid selling components you have right now (at a loss) and then have to buy full price replacements.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 1600x does not come with a cpu cooler, a 1600 or 1700 does and it has no problems keeping things cool at a 3.7ghz overclock. Go beyond about 3.8ghz and you need better cooling.

If your games are like bf1 which use all available cores the single core speed is not so important. As an example in bf1 my 1700 runs at about 30% ,while my rx480 is maxed out.

From the above comments a motherboard upgrade is what you need really.

Soldato

Your motherboard is the issue, no need to replace the CPU. Get the B350 Strixx. Far superior board for overclocking while is cheap also.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys,

I'm going to order a strix and return my current motherboard..

Will my stock cooler be ok for a modest oc on the cpu?

Also, as some of you might notice, in other threads I have been having GPs issues...could my cheapo motherboard be affecting performance possibly?

Soldato
Thanks guys,

I'm going to order a strix and return my current motherboard..

Will my stock cooler be ok for a modest oc on the cpu?

Also, as some of you might notice, in other threads I have been having GPs issues...could my cheapo motherboard be affecting performance possibly?

GPs?

Strix is a good choice. It comes with more CPU phases (8 rather than 6) than every other B350 board and so should make overclocking the 1700 a lot easier, and further if you so wished further down the line.

Stock cooler is absolutely fine for getting 3.7ghz in my experience for the 1700. At 3.7ghz it would match the 1800X at stock.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
GPs?

Strix is a good choice. It comes with more CPU phases (8 rather than 6) than every other B350 board and so should make overclocking the 1700 a lot easier, and further if you so wished further down the line.

Stock cooler is absolutely fine for getting 3.7ghz in my experience for the 1700. At 3.7ghz it would match the 1800X at stock.

Sorry, meant to say GPU. For a little more ax370 gaming k3 I can get, is that a decent board?

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom