• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Ryzen really is amazing. But the problem on this forum is that I would say the majority of us, if not vast majority are gamers first - other things second.
The thing is. FPS is noticeable, every single FPS counts. But If I have to wait 2hr20min to render a video vs 2hr10min. Meh, so what. I've left the PC to go do something else anyway.

This kinda backs up what i was saying, guys running a 2700X on a CH6 but using a decent AIO and fans

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8dm0ie/ryzen_2700x_and_windows_10_game_mode_allows_for/

4.4ghz all core boosting in games, this is the Precision Boost and XFR stuff at work here because his thermals and power delivery allow this to happen. I would be suprised to see more people reporting the same on decent setups, infact AMD originally said with Ryzen that the better cooling you had the better the chips would run, seems 1st Gen Ryzen wasnt really well tuned for this, 2nd Gen Ryzen seems to be able to actually show this off! bodes well for 3rd gen Ryzen too i imagine.

To me the 2700x looks like a brilliant chip, if your cooling allows it, you chip will boost high on single threaded stuff and on multithreaded stuff the cores will all boost up too nice, no real need for manual overclocking.

Where is this 4.4ghz coming from? Because every single review I have seen (even under water) they seem to hit a hard limit of 4.2ghz.

I really can't imagine windows game mode allowing the hardware to go to 4.4.

I really think this must be a software anomaly. Time will tell.

Yet again it depends on which reviewer you go to, some reviewers like Linus got practically nothing in terms of uplift Ryzen 1 vs Ryzen 2, others like TPU did have an up lift from old to new but all their game benchmarks Ryzen looks really bad and Ryzen 1 just much worse, far worse than it looked when first launch, even by their own Ryzen 1 reviews standards, which is strange.

Others say there is 10%+ between Ryzen 1 and Ryzen 2 and is only a couple to 10% behind the 8700K

Again its a case of: so who do i believe?

Wait for the OCUK forum community to get their hands on them.

How would that work though? What sort of core count would you think? Seems a little wasteful to disable 1/3 of a CCX just to get a 10 or 12 core CPU, and you're potentially cannibalising Threadripper sales if you push to 16 cores. 10+ cores in a Ryzen package might get a little warm too.
I would assume 8c/16t higher clocks than 2700x

Hi, I recently got a 2080ti (installing it tonight) that will replace a 980ti. However the rest of my PC is going to likely choke it's potential greatly:
- 2600k @ 4.6ghz
- 16GB 1600mhz RAM

I've mainly bought it for simracing with a Rift (soon to be Odyssey) and I'd like to keep the FPS above 90fps which is critical when wanting a smooth experience in multiplayer racing. The current experience is poor as it drops to 45fps or lower right away. I'm afraid my CPU is going to hold me back so I now have to decide on what direction I take.

Do I buy a Ryzen and will it be a notable upgrade for simracing gaming?
Do I buy a 9900k and associated parts?

I know I can wait for 7nm in 6months+ but that's a lot of time so I rather have something in the next month or so. If I should repost this somewhere else, please let me know.
I don't think a Ryzen will see any improvement over an overclocked 2600k. Esspecially in a Rift at Rift resolutions. That will work even your 2080Ti hard.

Back
Top Bottom