• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Soldato
Now that Coffeelake has been released. ...well sort of.
Anyone got any news on the next Ryzen. I ask because I am all set to buy a 8700K, except when they actually become available ryzen 2 might be out.

Soldato
OP
Hmmm, an 8 core Ryzen with same clocks and IPC as Coffee would be nice. but as others have said "there is always something else" around the corner. Fact is, Coffee lake i7 is now a substantial upgrade for me.

Soldato
OP
Hopefully stock will turn up by then, there are none at the moment! £250 would be a great price too. (Not sure that price is realistic though)
Should be around that.
Just to be clear I do buy thousands of pounds worth of stuff from OCUK every year (for work and stuff). But I travel to the states twice a year too, so on a single big ticket item (new CPU / GPU) makes sense for me to pick it up there. Last time I bought a drysuit thou...

Soldato
OP
Do you know, honestly for the very fact that Intel have made a chip that you "have" to delid if overclocking I will probably go AMD. Yes I am only one customer but you have to have principles.

Soldato
OP
Pretty sure the guys complaining had 3200 and 3466Mhz on their RAM, even with 3200 Ryzen is still pretty far behind the new Coffee Lakes in gaming.
Maybe Zen+ or Zen 2 will change things, but that remains to be seen.
I think we are returning to "normal business" with (in gaming) AMD are slightly behind Intel, but cheaper to buy.
Bar Athon64, that is where AMD has and should sit.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Pegging. Fnarf.

Sorry, couldnt help it.

I will be getting an AMD as my next chip... And the single biggest reason is that I believe that I will actually be able to put a zen+ and a Zen 2 chip in a B350 motherboard.

Give me an open budget right now for a sealed box... The 8700k wins as the best chip of today. And the i5 looks lile a damn good chip as well. But if you have a budget this year but a bit more next year and AMD win.

They also win as they will get to sell me two chips.

Don't forget temps. You can overclock a Ryzen 7 to a near guaranteed 4Ghz on the stock cooler.
Intel. well be prepared to delid and void your warranty and fork out for an AIO.

Soldato
OP
I game more than I video render. I would have gone for the 1700 (nearly did) if Intel were still only doing 4 core mainstream. But with 12 thread mainstream i7. As primarily a gamer, it makes sense to go for that. (unless Zen 2 really up's their IPC/Ghz game)

Soldato
OP
TBF,with Ryzen,anything above a Ryzen 5 1600 really shows no advantage for gaming. Having said that even the Core i5 8600K is pretty close to the Core i7 8700K too.
Yes, for gaming the R5/i5 are by FAR the most sensible option. But, I've been saving for some time and just feel that this time round I want to know I have "the best". might seem bad but will make me happy. Also I do a fair amount of video encoding, and the multi threading will really helps.

Soldato
OP
The thing with Ryzen for me is that it's great and I really want to support AMD. But 50% of the time im playing FSX. And for that GHZ is king. So Im really struggling to pick AMD over Intel. I know I am a very niche consumer. but it makes a huge difference to FSX if you are at 5Ghz rather than 4Ghz.

Soldato
OP
I agree, a 4.5Ghz (overclocked) Ryzen will see me switch. Definitely. Until then... well r7's 4.1Ghz is a far cry from Covfefes 5.0Ghz (typical overclocks). It's literally 20% "faster". (granted you probably have to delid to get it).

Soldato
OP
No its not, IPC is not frequency. Its 'instructions per clock'. As frequency it is 20%, but in terms of work done its, between 5% and 10% at the extreme and in FPS it is small.
Like I said... It's literally 20% faster. (frequency).

FPS it might be small in SOME games. But I assure you the difference in FPS in something like FSX between 4.1 and 5.0Ghz is VAST.

Back
Top Bottom