• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3600 with my new RTX 3070

Associate
games not hitting your gpu hard enough so its not clocking to its full speeds, if i play an older game my gpu willl only do 750-1300mhz as its not needing to go full bore which also shows as lower gpu usage, did you try cranking up the reolution in your games via scaling options to see if that makes your gpu bust a sweat and go full speed?

Man of Honour
All I can say is I went from a 1070 to a 3070, playing at 1440p resolution, with an ageing Xeon which with the overlock I'm running sits pretty squarely between the stock 2600 and 3600 for gaming performance and saw a huge uplift some exceptions aside pretty much a minimum of double the performance across the board, a few games well over double.

Associate
All I can say is I went from a 1070 to a 3070, playing at 1440p resolution, with an ageing Xeon which with the overlock I'm running sits pretty squarely between the stock 2600 and 3600 for gaming performance and saw a huge uplift some exceptions aside pretty much a minimum of double the performance across the board, a few games well over double.
he is playing at 1080p tho so its a crappy cpu not feeding the frames fast enough to the gpu so it doesnt reach high enough utilisation to clock higher

Man of Honour
he is playing at 1080p tho so its a crappy cpu not feeding the frames fast enough to the gpu so it doesnt reach high enough utilisation to clock higher

I still get a decent uplift from my 1070 at 1080p though - and I'm probably like 20% bottlenecking the 3070 at that res with a CPU this old.

Soldato
As above, the fact that 3DMark itself looks fine, it's not a CPU or GPU issue. Seems like a rushed decision sending the 3070 back for a 3060. I would have been tempted to stick the 1070 back in (if OP still had it) just to make sure they didn't do anything strange when reinstalling Windows (which they claimed to have done in post #3).

Doesn't exactly help that they didn't give a full detailed list of their specs after being asked a few times. Was also asked if the games was restored from a backup (eg copying steamapps folder) or freshly installed.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
In your Nvidia control panel 3d settings, what is the power management setting? Is it/Have you tried setting it to "Prefer maximum performance" as I've had odd bugs if set to normal/adaptive where the card gets stuck in lower clocks thus limiting performance.

Associate
OP
Hi guys.

Its set at max performance mode, my xmp is enabled it bios running at 3200. I'm using a Samsung 980 pro nvme. my games were downloaded fresh. Tried my 1070 back in and my fps was better.

spoke to ocuk today and its being picked up Friday for refund,

Soldato
Hi guys.

Its set at max performance mode, my xmp is enabled it bios running at 3200. I'm using a Samsung 980 pro nvme. my games were downloaded fresh. Tried my 1070 back in and my fps was better.

spoke to ocuk today and its being picked up Friday for refund,

I'd say I am happy, but I am not! :(

At least you can play your games again now, instead of troubleshooting.

Associate
OP
Yeah that's true, before I installed my 1070 I played some bf5 on the 3070 and gpu usage was around 40/50% then tried the game with my 1070 and my gpu usage was 99% with higher framerate

Soldato
The only other thing I can think of is maybe resizeable bar? If you had it on for the 3070 maybe for those games it had a negative effect, although it shouldn't be the case since Nvidia only allows it to work with a certain whitelist. I guess it's just for your set of games maybe they're not properly optimised for the newer cards. I definitely saw an improvement going from a 1080 Ti to the 3070, but my set of games are completely different.

Soldato
Tomb Raider, RE3, Minecraft Java edition with SEUS shaders, bit of a random mix. There's other games that are more CPU bound, but I didn't see a regression in performance. I do play on 1440p though so it will allow the GPU to flex out more.

Back
Top Bottom