Ryzen 5 3600 86c

Soldato
Watt per watt 7nm runs way cooler than 14nm.

Quoting your post again. Wheres your proof to this?
If wattage is the same between the 2 process nodes then the larger node has the bigger die which is easier to cool due to more surface area and less power density.
So why you making blanket statements which are straight up incorrect?

Soldato
Quoting your post again. Wheres your proof to this?
If wattage is the same between the 2 process nodes then the larger node has the bigger die which is easier to cool due to more surface area and less power density.
So why you making blanket statements which are straight up incorrect?
that is a galring error on my part.

it shoud have read - performance vs performance; 7nm needs less wattage.

IPC gain is one metric for that performance watt to watt 7nm Zen 3 is over 40%
below is Zen3 vs Zen 2

Zen 3 microarchitecture delivers 19% IPC improvement
24% gen-on-gen power efficiency improvement

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/amd-zen-3-ryzen-5000-announcement-19-percent-ipc-1080p-gaming-lead#:~:text=Zen 3 microarchitecture delivers 19,models, offset by increased IPC

so for your 115w part, for the same core coount the zen 3 only needs to suck down 85-90w which is typically what these 3700x outputs.

thus will run cooler

Soldato
that is a galring error on my part.

it shoud have read - performance vs performance; 7nm needs less wattage.

And apologies if i came across as being rude.

Getting back to op's temps is 86c normal in gaming on a overclocked 3600 on stock cooler? I thought the wraith prism was supposed to be half decent

Soldato

Getting back to op's temps is 86c normal in gaming on a overclocked 3600 on stock cooler? I thought the wraith prism was supposed to be half decent
It is ok for stock operation probably.

Haven’t tested myself. Got rid off mine straight away after getting it bundled with my 3900x. That chip is meant to have a default TDP of 105w. So I guess it is ok for that.

so probably something has gone wrong on the installation or board is sending more current into that chip than it needs to. Or something is choking the fan. Who knows. But 86c is a bit toasty.

Associate
OP
Ya if you switched off PBO you need to manage the Vcore rather than let CPU manage the Vcore.

your 4.2GHz is effectively an all core overclock. So I suspect the CPU is asking for a lot of juice.

Hey
Right I've tried doing this, reverted bios all back to optimised defaults.
All I've changed is the xmp profile which I think just puts my mem to 3200, doesn't look like it's touches my cpu.
Ive used the Ez tuning option to oc the cpu to 3800
Pbo and everything is all default, tried a game its stuck at 3800
Googled it and found solution to change pbo from auto to enabled, tested again and it's still fixed at 3800, so not boosting?

Associate
OP
Everyone else, since running at 3800 temps hitting around 62.
What other info do you need? Happy to provide as I assume a lot are curious to my setup hitting such high temps, also that night the room I was in was 27c
As for volts I didn't touch them, I just changed the core from 36 to 42, so God knows what the volt was set too

Associate
My r5 3600 runs hotter than expected too. My r5 2600x ran close to this speed wise and kept cooler for the most part of it. I've tweaked it now so I have profiles for work and gaming, otherwise im working away and the fans are making a reasonable racket whilst trying to concentrate! Ramp it up then gaming where ive usually got headphones in or blaring the sound system anyway! I thought it was my application of thermal paste but re did it and had the same temps. So, think its just my settings etc as its a big case with a load of fans.

Soldato

My 3700x hit 86 sometimes with my 3070 Graphics card playing demanding Ray tracing games but hits 66 on Prime95 with the wraith prism cooler.
Its the heat from the card raising the temperature in my case so I presume its the same here too. My case isn't the best for cooling.

Swapped to a dark rock 4 and temperatures have dropped into low 70s while playing same game.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi

My processor just hit 86c playing BFV for a few hours, using stock fan.. was told the stock fan is good enough to OC this CPU to 4.2 but apparently not, not in my room at least..

Can anyone recommend me a CPU fan please that would be better or am I just being an idiot and should underclock it back abit?

Many thanks

My 3700x hit 86 sometimes with my 3070 Graphics card playing demanding Ray tracing games but hits 66 on Prime95 with the wraith prism cooler.
Its the heat from the card raising the temperature in my case so I presume its the same here too. My case isn't the best for cooling.

I have since swapped to a dark rock 4 and temperatures have dropped into low 70s while playing same game that previously hit the 80s. And an added bonus of the cooler being silent!

I went for the non pro as much easier to fit and according to reviews I read there's not much temperature difference with that over the pro too

Associate
OP
Hi all

I have just bought the 212 Evo Black cooler, just realised I have no spare thermal paste but just learned this cooler comes with coolermaster mastergel pro.

Question is, Is Arctic Silver 5 still king? Should I buy that, or is this Mastergel Pro stuff just as good? Obviously Id rather save myself the £6 if I can but if I should, I will buy it

Soldato
Hi all

I have just bought the 212 Evo Black cooler, just realised I have no spare thermal paste but just learned this cooler comes with coolermaster mastergel pro.

Question is, Is Arctic Silver 5 still king? Should I buy that, or is this Mastergel Pro stuff just as good? Obviously Id rather save myself the £6 if I can but if I should, I will buy it
Grizzly or mx-4 is `better`
Probably not by much,but if you got it to hand with the new hs try it out

Associate
I got the same cpu and noticed mine went all the way to 90c on stock cooler, dropped £35 on air cooler and on cinebench highest it reached was 72c in comparison to 92c on stock cooler. def worth the investment

Associate
Noctua NHU12s is excellent. Temps are a max of about 68c when stress tested, and about 62c max during games. That's without OC though ( on my 3600 )

Back
Top Bottom