• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5 5600G and Ryzen 7 5700G coming in August.

Soldato
I suspect the lower amount of L3 cache will only make a marginal difference in games / other software.
Large L3 of desktop Ryzens is there to compensate for extra memory latency from chiplet design.
Monolithic APUs have lower memory latency and hence cache miss is somewhat less serious penalty for performance.

Though those workloads whose most of the time needed data fits to larger L3, but not this halved L3 are going to see clear difference.
It's all about memory usage pattern.

Caporegime
The Ryzen 5 3400G ones are significantly cheaper. The price fluctuates a lot though - just look on HUKD for the Ryzen 5 4650G/4600G or Ryzen 7 4750G/4700G,and there are at least 3 retailer selling different systems. I can't mention them here OFC.

We can't really be reactive, it's not the way purchasing works for us.
Hell, spending that much from a supplier other than the OEM we use would require 3 quote's and signatures lol

Soldato
OP
We can't really be reactive, it's not the way purchasing works for us.
Hell, spending that much from a supplier other than the OEM we use would require 3 quote's and signatures lol

I know but the fact is there are quite a few retailers/custom builders offering the systems. One of them is system builder. Just check the deals on HUKD,and you will find the companies. They are still cheaper to buy from them,then have to import the parts from abroad,with no warranty,and duties. You are looking at £230 just to import a Ryzen 5 4650G from HK,and you might get stung for more duties,etc. If you don't mind building your own systems,a UK based retailer sells the Ryzen 3 4300GE for £145.

All the companies in question are reasonably large,and do business sales so I suspect if you contacted them about bulk purchases they will be able to do something for your workplace.

Soldato
The reduction in cache for Zen 3 APUs does make you wonder if the L3 cache is a significant cost in the production of Zen 3 CPUs. The 5700G has half (16MB) the L3 cache of the 5800X and 5600X (32MB) .

Associate
The reduction in cache for Zen 3 APUs does make you wonder if the L3 cache is a significant cost in the production of Zen 3 CPUs. The 5700G has half (16MB) the L3 cache of the 5800X and 5600X (32MB) .
On the Zen3 die-lets, around half the space is cache and since for the mainstream (non-APU) CPUs they only need to use around 80mm² of TSMC's 7nm per chiplet versus around 180mm² for the APUs, the cut back on the cache. If half of 80mm² buys them 32MB then the extra 16MB would cost them around 20mm² more.
However, on the AT forums where the L3 stacked surprise has generated a lot more discussion, they managed to dig out this:
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1399770424658087941
In a call with AMD, we have confirmed the following:
  • This technology will be productized with 7nm Zen 3-based Ryzen processors. Nothing was said about EPYC.
  • Those processors will start production at the end of the year. No comment on availability, although Q1 2022 would fit into AMD's regular cadence.
  • This V-Cache chiplet is 64 MB of additional L3, with no stepped penalty on latency. The V-Cache is address striped with the normal L3 and can be powered down when not in use. The V-Cache sits on the same power plane as the regular L3.
  • The processor with V-Cache is the same z-height as current Zen 3 products - both the core chiplet and the V-Cache are thinned to have an equal z-height as the IOD die for seamless integration
  • As the V-Cache is built over the L3 cache on the main CCX, it doesn't sit over any of the hotspots created by the cores and so thermal considerations are less of an issue. The support silicon above the cores is designed to be thermally efficient.
  • The V-Cache is a single 64 MB die, and is relatively denser than the normal L3 because it uses SRAM-optimized libraries of TSMC's 7nm process, AMD knows that TSMC can do multiple stacked dies, however AMD is only talking about a 1-High stack at this time which it will bring to market.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1672...cialflow&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
(my bold)
Anyway, that makes me wonder why on the normal ICD and APU dies they don't use the denser libraries either to save space or to add more cache. Surely mixing libraries should be possible.

Soldato
As anything at the moment, be interesting to see what availability and real world prices will actually be for this.

Man of Honour
I see these as being a hit for system builders, no waiting around for GPU stock they can just just churn these out and still sell them as gaming machines on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

Soldato
OP
On the Zen3 die-lets, around half the space is cache and since for the mainstream (non-APU) CPUs they only need to use around 80mm² of TSMC's 7nm per chiplet versus around 180mm² for the APUs, the cut back on the cache. If half of 80mm² buys them 32MB then the extra 16MB would cost them around 20mm² more.
However, on the AT forums where the L3 stacked surprise has generated a lot more discussion, they managed to dig out this:
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1399770424658087941

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1672...cialflow&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
(my bold)
Anyway, that makes me wonder why on the normal ICD and APU dies they don't use the denser libraries either to save space or to add more cache. Surely mixing libraries should be possible.

Ian Cutress did a video which summarised it well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16s1s0B3eog

Associate
any idea of gpu equiv ?
Not yet, but looking at the vials already having been there on the Zen 3 chiplets since the Zen 3 release...
... Has anyone seen any detailed RDNA 2 dieshots? Or would even a map give us some indication as in have the concentrated all the less power hungry parts in one part of the die?

But then zen2 be zen3 doesn't look that different in terms of L3 placement, so probably not significant without spotting vials

Soldato
96MB of L3 cache per chiplet is quite a large upgrade from 32MB for the 5800X (or 16MB on upcoming Zen3 APUs). I think these chips will be the 'E-Peen' / ultra expensive edition of Zen 3 chips (a bit like the 9900KS with 5ghz frequency on 8 cores), the purpose of these chips will be to try to steal the thunder of Intel's Alder Lake in 2022.

It might even be a test platform for AM5 + DDR5, similar to the approach that Intel is taking with Alder Lake.

Then zen 4 will launch in 2022 q3/q4. It's curious that AMD appears to have no plans to use 6nm in their designs, I wonder if it's intended as a backup plan, in case something goes wrong with the design / production of 5nm Zen 4 CPUs?

Last edited:
Soldato
What are these integrated GPUs equivalent to, what discrete cards?

Second, can they be overclocked? I remember the a series apus overclocked well and by tweaking the power tables could keep the CPU speed full bore and oc the gpu part as well, and it was pretty impressive for an all in one.

Man of Honour
With the lack of gpu availability and the igpu performing well theese cpu are going to be sold out immediately and be almost impossible to get.

Oh did i forget to mention inflated prices. :confused:

3200g and 3400g are still hard to get.

Soldato
With the lack of gpu availability and the igpu performing well theese cpu are going to be sold out immediately and be almost impossible to get.

Oh did i forget to mention inflated prices. :confused:

3200g and 3400g are still hard to get.

Demand will be high, I have no doubt but you can always opt for OEM versions which are much easier to come by, even if you have to import them. My 5700G is slated for late June delivery now, which was brought forward somewhat from the original date I was given which coincidentally was August. I also have some 5600G's on order as well, they are still TBC on the date, but I'd imagine a similar time frame.

3200G and 3400G are incredibly easy to get in CPU with board bundles, and you have your pick of boards, sometimes it is working out a good deal cheaper than buying the CPU and board separate, which is always a nice bonus.

Soldato
This 5700G is my next cpu / gpu to replaced my 3700X / GTX 1050Ti as I don't gaming at all but this 5700G will be lots faster than my current 3700X and this GPU will be faster than GTX 1050Ti as my motherboard Asus B550 Gaming Plus will accept this 5700G processor.

4750G got 2100MHz Graphic 8 cores (Zen2) PCI-E 3.0
5700G got 2000MHz Graphic 8 cores (Zen3) PCI-E 3.0

Seem strange why AMD reduced 100MHz?

Associate
They are price at $359 and $259:
https://www.techpowerup.com/282800/amd-announces-ryzen-5000g-and-pro-5000g-desktop-processors

So it should work out at approximately £300 and £220,if you include VAT and current exchange rates. Changes over the CPUs include a reduction in L3 cache to 16MB abd 24 PCI-E 3.0 lanes instead of 24 PCI-E 4.0 lanes. Essentially these are the Ryzen 7 5700X and Ryzen 5 5600 non-X in the range for now.

The Ryzen 5 5600G has been compared against the Ryzen 5 5600X by UFD Tech recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReN06Kw4y4I

In most games tested it was between 10% slower to a few precent faster than the Ryzen 5 5600X. However,in the single MOBA tested(Valorant) it was around 50% slower.

Tee hee - the 5600X gets to spread its legs in Valorant - nice, I'm buying one and Valorant too...

Soldato
It will be interesting to see how many choose the 5700G vs the 5600X.

Given the choice between the i7 10700K, 5600X and 5700G, I'd definitely pick the 5700G, since it will likely perform better in almost every situation, particularly as games optimised for 8 CPU cores become the norm.

I suspect that the integrated (Vega based) GPU chip may be so cheap to produce ($10-$20?), that it just isn't worth making a version without it.

Is anyone going to hold off building a new PC or upgrading their CPU until August, to buy a Cezanne chip?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom