Ryzen 5 upgrade from Intel i7-4770K

Soldato
OP
OK so I'm fairly certain and happy to buy this lot now...

Any last minute thoughts or advice guys? Was hoping to find a more suited (white!) mobo but struggling, need convincing if the Asus X570-Pro is any good & worth purchasing?

• Yes I'm trying to keep the white theme and spending a bit more £ to retain this. I just thought my current PC I can't see inside, if I'm going to glam it up and have a window case I can see inside, I'd like it to look good

• Corsair RMx PSU isn't £85 anymore, cheapest is ~£120. So I can get this White 750W RMx for £115 elsewhere which is the plan now, also comes with white braided cables I believe which is a bonus.

• Decided to YOLO for the 2070 Super as a GPU upgrade over my Vega 56 as I'm gaming @ 1440p 144Hz. Annoyingly the GPU is a chunk more expensive than the Asus deal @ £475, which has since also finished and shot up to ~£530

• Debated swapping the H100i to the Alpenfohn, but reviews on the H100i temp wise seem great?

• Settled on the 3600 as will be 99% gaming for me. If I ever feel it slouching I can upgrade next year to the 4000 CPUs if necessary.

• Annoyingly I can't find a nice white X570 mobo. Looked at the Asus X570-Pro but reviews seem iffy whether it's worse than the Gigabyte and to stick with the GB, unless someone else has a better clue? From what I read the Gigabyte has better VRMs, Intel NIC etc... Hopefully the black/orange mix contrasts with the white ok

OcUK Basket said:

Last edited:
Permabanned
You know i have a 4770k at 4.3 which is basically same as my mates 4790k which is fine at higher res for me 4k at 1440p? Im gonna be cheeky you could get a 2080super or 2080ti. I am putting the same in mine. You build looks like mine i have a Z87x in an Air 540 and its gonna be good at 4k for a while yet.

I would look for a killer gpu or monitor. Ideally you want to wait until you double the fps from the gpu or cpu and you will not get double 4770k just yet maybe in next years lineup. You also may get an all white if you wait at least you would max out 144hz 1440p on a 2080ti.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've got the upgrade itch though, it's been 6 years and I need to itch... Looking at benchmarks the 3000 are still great upgrades, even over the 4770K I have now...

Tempted to wait a few weeks and see if the AIB 5700 XTs release and how they fair. But I do hate AMD drivers, my other BenQ monitor will not run @ 144Hz anymore since going to the Vega 56! Just my main Dell S2719DGF works fine at 155Hz.

Although just heard back from OcUk this morning, the GPU and MOBO are not in stock for another ~2 weeks and that's "all being well" :(

Permabanned
I've got the upgrade itch though, it's been 6 years and I need to itch... Looking at benchmarks the 3000 are still great upgrades, even over the 4770K I have now...

Tempted to wait a few weeks and see if the AIB 5700 XTs release and how they fair. But I do hate AMD drivers, my other BenQ monitor will not run @ 144Hz anymore since going to the Vega 56! Just my main Dell S2719DGF works fine at 155Hz.

Although just heard back from OcUk this morning, the GPU and MOBO are not in stock for another ~2 weeks and that's "all being well" :(

I think 2020 or 2021 you will get double perf the price is pretty high on Ryzen i still think the pc is no slouch if you were able to get to 4.3 or 4.4 and oc ram? Why it would be a good upgrade no doubt just not quite for me and my mate. Too nany games rely on gpu grunt the days of 4yr cycles are gone theres nothing wrong with sitting a bit longer.

Whatever you do Ryzen or 2080ti it will be a good upgrade but look first at which you will notice more.

Soldato
OP
2080Ti is way too much for my liking. I only just managed to justify the 2070 Super, now toying with the 2080 Super but that's borderline lol.

Well as the current mobo and GPU I want are ~2 week wait, I may as well wait the 2 weeks before I even order. See how the market and AIB 5700 cards come in.

Back
Top Bottom