• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5000 crashes - anyone getting them?

Associate
I had exact same issue with 5900X and found I had to set +5 all core on curve to prevent BSOD while idle. I've since raised RMA with AMD.

95% of the time the WHEA errors pointed to APIC 8 (5th Core), which is actually what Ryzen master designated as my best core. Even at +5 it would still crash. With HWInfo reporting that sometimes the voltage would drop to 0.2V at idle I wouldn't think that's a CPU issue as such, more of a power delivery one.
I'm happy enough with turning off Global C-States for now at least.

Associate
I can't actually remember if I tried it with PBO on but the curve optimiser off. As I said before I know stock settings worked fine.
I also don't know if it's normal for a Ryzen CPU core to randomly drop down to 0.2V.

0.2v is waay too low for a CPU core. I remember reading some wise people thought's that modern CPUs require minimum 0.8v or something to function correctly. In the past AMD Opterons/Athlons would power down to 0.8v. But that was back in the day when Intel still had far superior power saving features on their CPUs

Associate
0.2v is waay too low for a CPU core. I remember reading some wise people thought's that modern CPUs require minimum 0.8v or something to function correctly. In the past AMD Opterons/Athlons would power down to 0.8v. But that was back in the day when Intel still had far superior power saving features on their CPUs
That's what I thought. I doubt it's the cpu requesting that ultra-low voltage for those cores, and the actual VID for the CPU doesn't drop. So either I have a faulty motherboard or it's a BIOS issue. And since disabling C State Control seems to completely stop these voltage drops, I'd say BIOS. But then again I'm definitely no expert.

Associate
I don't remember last time we could honestly rely on a solid BIOS :D
I get weekly WHEA reboot on my current set up, just trying one thing at a time to see if it works :D
It happens once a week, when I'm at work

Associate
I don't remember last time we could honestly rely on a solid BIOS :D
I get weekly WHEA reboot on my current set up, just trying one thing at a time to see if it works :D
It happens once a week, when I'm at work
Seriously, try disabling Global C-State Control. I tried almost EVERYTHING else and was starting to get annoyed and concerned. It's such an annoying issue to test as well. Sometime the computer would run idle for 10-12 hours without issue, and then crash all of a sudden when opening the chrome browser. Usually testing involved leaving the PC on overnight just to see if it rebooted. It was so time consuming.

Associate
Seriously, try disabling Global C-State Control. I tried almost EVERYTHING else and was starting to get annoyed and concerned. It's such an annoying issue to test as well. Sometime the computer would run idle for 10-12 hours without issue, and then crash all of a sudden when opening the chrome browser. Usually testing involved leaving the PC on overnight just to see if it rebooted. It was so time consuming.

My systems are performance orientated, so anything power saving related is always disabled by default ;) Systems are running 24/7 100% load

Caporegime
Cheers mate. I just changed to the following in the MSI BIOS:

C-state control: Disabled
Power supply idle: Typical current

Associate
Cheers mate. I just changed to the following in the MSI BIOS:

C-state control: Disabled
Power supply idle: Typical current
Fingers crossed. :)

Also I read a post apparently from an AMD employee on another forum that said that with Ryzen 5000 there is no longer any use for Ryzen specific power plans. And if you update to the latest chipset driver you'll see they disappear from the power and sleep settings. They said to just set it to the balanced profile.

Man of Honour
If you’re getting restarts but no BSOD what does that indicate? Windows log suggests a kernel power error. Again, the set up was fine on 1.2.0.0 (msi unify x) but the coil whine was driving me mental so on another board with an older bios (ASRock Razer b550 taichi, for anyone interested). Reboots only started happening then. Have checked all power cables are in. Seems to be absolutely fine and then spontaneously dies!

Associate
Have you checked to see if your ram is on the compatibility list on the manufacturers website?

I have a 5900x on a b550 with 32gb 3600MHz ram and would have spontaneous BSOD, black screen as drivers failed and on occasion reboots.
updated and changed settings in bios, loaded new drivers, reinstalled the OS, ran stress tests on the CPU, GPU and memory with no sign of what was wrong and no changes working.

In the end I had to change the clock speed of the ram to 3000MHz and now it's stable with no issues.
currently for the asus b550 my 3600MHz is not supported by the manufacturer for a Ryzen 5 series (hopefully there will be an update soon), I've also heard that some of the b550 mobos don't like running 4 sticks of ram.

Associate
Have you checked to see if your ram is on the compatibility list on the manufacturers website?

I have a 5900x on a b550 with 32gb 3600MHz ram and would have spontaneous BSOD, black screen as drivers failed and on occasion reboots.
updated and changed settings in bios, loaded new drivers, reinstalled the OS, ran stress tests on the CPU, GPU and memory with no sign of what was wrong and no changes working.

In the end I had to change the clock speed of the ram to 3000MHz and now it's stable with no issues.
currently for the asus b550 my 3600MHz is not supported by the manufacturer for a Ryzen 5 series (hopefully there will be an update soon), I've also heard that some of the b550 mobos don't like running 4 sticks of ram.

Unstable hardware is a common issue and its usually ram.
some ram brands dont play well and others just works.
One reason I bought crucial B was for that main reason.

Soldato
Unstable hardware is a common issue and its usually ram.
some ram brands dont play well and others just works.
One reason I bought crucial B was for that main reason.

This was a big issue years ago but has been largely redundant for some time.

These days, those with any clue simply visit their motherboard's website, download the QVL list and pick a RAM module set off that list, for guaranteed (100%) compatibility. There should be no tinkering to get things working reliably at stock.

Soldato
This was a big issue years ago but has been largely redundant for some time.

These days, those with any clue simply visit their motherboard's website, download the QVL list and pick a RAM module set off that list, for guaranteed (100%) compatibility. There should be no tinkering to get things working reliably at stock.
What about the intel lan issue on z490 boards dave ? Things can and do go wrong with electronics mate funny enough i cant find you mentioning that issue anywhere on the forum strange that maybe your a fan boy

Soldato
What about the intel lan issue on z490 boards dave ? Things can and do go wrong with electronics mate funny enough i cant find you mentioning that issue anywhere on the forum strange that maybe your a fan boy

There's a big difference between not getting full 2.5Gbit ethernet speeds due to a bug with the I225-V and getting actual crashes, disconnection of devices, and failures with Ryzen.

I doubt you even researched to know that the bug with I225-V means you'll get 1.5Bbit-2Gbit under LAN transfers instead of the full 2.5Gbit speed. I'm sure you're aware 99.9% haven't invested in a home router/managed switches cable of sustaining 2.5Gbit ethernet throughout the chain, though if it makes you feel better, shout about it buddy.

Most people just use their home Gigabit router that comes free from the ISP - you're not getting any more than Gigabit through that bud.

Soldato
There's a big difference between not getting full 2.5Gbit ethernet speeds due to a bug with the I225-V and getting actual crashes, disconnection of devices, and failures with Ryzen.

I doubt you even researched to know that the bug with I225-V means you'll get 1.5Bbit-2Gbit under LAN transfers instead of the full 2.5Gbit speed. I'm sure you're aware 99.9% haven't invested in a home router/managed switches cable of sustaining 2.5Gbit ethernet throughout the chain, though if it makes you feel better, shout about it buddy.

Most people just use their home Gigabit router that comes free from the ISP - you're not getting any more than Gigabit through that bud.
I did research mate theres different versions of the lan the 3rd version doesnt have the problem apparently as i told you earlier im actually looking to build a intel pc hence me knowing about the lan issue and know dave unlike you i dont shout about it i actually have a life mate your the one shouting about all the problems amd apparently have i just asked you why you never mention the intel problems mate
Maybe your on there pay roll paid to scroll the internet to find problems with amd :)

Associate
Not a single crash yet whether idling or under load etc... everything runs at stock with exception to RAM.

-Ryzen 5800X
-Aorus X570 Master (F32 BIOS)
-16GB x4 G.Skill Trident Z Neo @ 3200 MHz (XMP)

Associate
Hopefully this will help somebody out. I had a weird one where I could game hours on end no problems then finish with a quick web surf and bang. Crash reboot. Very odd all drivers and bios up to date. I did notice in hardware info that the my chip was boosting with 1.5 volts which I though was a tad high. I put a negative offset in the motherboard of 0.1 and no more crashing, not only that but I've seen boosting of 4.95 on most of my cores.

Associate
heres hoping this helps somebody out, I was getting whea errors and random reboots/restarts but only when idle or low cpu usage (when stressing system it was rock solid), using 5800x I was searching motherboard and cpu forums for answers and only by using a process of elimination was I able to pinpoint the culprit (in my case), I found that it was one of two problems, I have a 2nd 5'' display for monitoring purposes and use aida64 to monitor my system, it was only after unplugging monitor and not using monitoring software ie hwinfo and aida64 has the problem stopped, it is being reported in other forums that the sensors on the monitoring software such as hwinfo/aida64 are causing the random reboot/restart for some users. hope this helps.
my system:
Asus x570 E-gaming (currently on 3405 bios)
Ryzen 7 5800x
32gb Klev 3600mhz ram (2 x 16gb sticks)
Asrock rx6900xt GPU
Fractal Design celsius s36 cooler

Associate
Built my new system yesterday and had a couple of random reboots when i wasn't doing anything.

Since disabling PBO i've not had any. (knock on wood)

Back
Top Bottom