1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

RYZEN 5000 SERIES NOW ONLINE - 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X COMING NOV 5TH AT 5PM **NO COMPETITORS**

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Gibbo, 9 Oct 2020.

1. jigger

Capodecina

You and three other people seem to feel the same way. £200 for a 12 core Ryzen 3?

2. FoxEye

Caporegime

You mean the little "e:" I put in when I add something to a post? That's pretty normal, isn't it? Lots of people do that.

You must be very easily entertained!

3. Klo

Mobster

How about under £250 for a 6 core Ryzen 5?

What I don't get is why you are desperately defending bad pricing? How does it benefit you?

4. FoxEye

Caporegime

No I won't pay more than £3.50 for a 1024-core Ryzen 25. And I want it delivered by the Jamaican women's bob sleigh team, on the 30th of February 2021.

There, now you have something ridiculous to quote that I really did say :p But I know it's more fun for you to just make things up and have imaginary conversations with people in your head, isn't it?

Corporate Stockholm syndrome. It needs its own name really. The more they get bent over the more they love it.

5. jigger

Capodecina

What I don’t get is why you see it that way. I’ll just quote myself again.

6. Klo

Mobster

It's because there has been a considerable regression in the price/performance at the low end? If we go by AMDs numbers, the value proposition is considerably worse than last gen. You know this already.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2020
  7. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

It shows you many who were attacking Intel and Nvidia pushing up pricing only cared because it wasn't AMD doing it. They are no different than the people justifying Intel and Nvidia doing it. We saw how that worked out with GPUs.

8. jigger

Capodecina

Or maybe it’s because Intel offered 1-2% every gen with 5-10% price increases, and pretty much still do. I just laugh at Nvidia prices generally, definitely in the Uber end of the market.

9. pc-guy

Mobster

@Gibbo how many Zen3 has OCUK got ordered? Just curious. Thousands would mean OCUK is committed to at least £300,000 worth of stock.

10. jigger

Capodecina

Again, let’s define “considerable” $50 more for a faster chip that is a drop in upgrade for most. Seem like decent value to me.

11. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

I don't care who they are. When all of them are behind they become nice and offer extras. When they are ahead all do the same because the money men start making the orders. I remember how AMD back in the Athlon 64 days pushed pricing up,plus did stuff like Socket 754 and QuadFX which were bifurcated short term platforms. Before that they were all about price/performance and longterm platforms.

Then we had all the people who justfied Nvidia price rises,and then when AMD joined in,it was OK because Nvidia did it. I have gone with AMD because I don't like the tactics Nvidia and Intel are doing. If AMD are going to join in then they are the same for me.YMMV. Like with Intel and Nvidia,their fans can fall on their swords.

12. Lokken86

Mobster

I agree for those on a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen especially. The 5600x is the only one that's a tiny bit pricey for 6core but it's going to outperform any 3rd gen in games and perform close to an 8core 3rd gen 3000series in multi thread anyway. In that case getting a 3rd gen 3700x or something isn't really worth it. People just think oh no its only 6 cores..but it's 6 bloody fast cores.

13. Klo

Mobster

It doesn't for me, and it is objectively worse value than the 3000 series at the 6 and 8 core level.

14. jigger

Capodecina

Maybe, but you need to keep in mind AMD are operating with considerably lower margins than Intel and Nvidia and at some AMD will have to enter the high end graphics market. AMD will also have to do something about Intels off roadmap business and god knows what that looks like.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2020
  15. BUDFORCE

Mobster

Forum members should be able to order 30 minutes early.

16. FoxEye

Caporegime

Aren't AMD actually making a lot better margins with their CPUs than Intel?

17. kitfit1

Mobster

I doubt it. Intel are running 10 year old tech that more than paid back it's R&D costs years ago. I have no doubt that AMD are making a profit, which is more than they were doing 5 years ago. They are also pumping money into R&D and have been for the last 4 years or so.
    The proper profit margins will come for AMD, probably with Ryzen 4 onwards.

18. FoxEye

Caporegime

I keep hearing that the chiplet design means Zen costs a lot less to make then Intel's chips.

19. Fyter

Gangster

TEAM GROUP RIPPED EDITION 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C14 3600MHZ DUAL CHANNEL KIT - BLACK

Need this on cyber monday/black friday offer. Please make it happen :) Due a cpu upgrade.

20. Mr Oblong

Wise Guy

Are these coming November 5th the way 3080s were coming September 17th?

Really would like to know about stock at the earliest...