• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN 5000 SERIES NOW ONLINE - 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X COMING NOV 5TH AT 5PM **NO COMPETITORS**

Associate
Paul from 'Not an Apple Fan' suggest one of big retailers who will be selling the new 5000 series will only have about 100 of each SKU available at launch.
Its highly likely he's referring to the retailer that allows their staff to reserve pre-order stock that was discussed earlier on this forum. They have already sold out of 5800x and 5950x.

Soldato
Just noticed the 5950x seller on that auction site, is not only selling a 5950x for £1200, but also sold a RTX 3090 for £2500 on 24th September!

Associate
Just noticed the 5950x seller on that auction site, is not only selling a 5950x for £1200, but also sold a RTX 3090 for £2500 on 24th September!
Scalpers don't scalp for fun, they scalp because there is enough people out there willing to pay those stupid prices. The problem needs to be fixed on both sides - people need to stop scalping, but if there was no demand they wouldn't be doing this either.

Also, who else is staying up until midnight just in case the preorder button appears on the 5th exactly? :p

Soldato
Also, who else is staying up until midnight just in case the preorder button appears on the 5th exactly? :p
That's a long shot! I wouldn't bother.
I think the best course of action is to chill, not get frustrated when you can't buy one tomorrow, and plan for buying one after Christmas.
I'd like a 5950x, but quite happy to wait I think....this will also give me more time to wait for deals on the other components I want (motherboard, ram, etc).

Soldato
Its highly likely he's referring to the retailer that allows their staff to reserve pre-order stock that was discussed earlier on this forum. They have already sold out of 5800x and 5950x.

Lol.....................if that was actually the case..........................then surely we will all be seeing loads and loads of 5800x and 5950x benchies all over the net as i type. No, of course we don't.
It's a normal launch, some SKU's will be plentiful, some won't. Only the likes of OCUK know what they have, none of us have any idea. It's just like any other launch, first come first served.

Associate
This is disgusting, are there no law in plac to stop people from reselling them?
Do you really want resale of computer parts to be government regulated? I certainly don't!

Scalping is annoying, but you're getting annoyed at the wrong people here. Try directing it at the manufacturers who launch products with hugely insufficient stock thus creating a supply/demand imbalance which results in these inflated prices on the secondary market. And bear in mind that not all supply shortages are unintentional either - limiting supply to maintain high retail prices is a very established (and just as despicable) technique in many markets.

It's worth noting that the retailers don't do a whole lot to prevent it either - they've got 1,000 cards to shift and if they can sell them all, they've won. Bonus points if you can add a few points onto the RRP at the same time (*cough* not naming names *cough*).

Associate
This is disgusting, are there no law in plac to stop people from reselling them?
If there was eBay wouldn't exist... Whilst I love the idea of a bit of communal justice for these people at the end of the day if people werent willing to pay twice retail price just to get something that some scabby scroat has used a bot or whatever underhand tactics to get hold of then they wouldn't do it. Blame society, the impatience of people today and how little value they place on money.

Lol.....................if that was actually the case..........................then surely we will all be seeing loads and loads of 5800x and 5950x benchies all over the net as i type. No, of course we don't.
It's a normal launch, some SKU's will be plentiful, some won't. Only the likes of OCUK know what they have, none of us have any idea. It's just like any other launch, first come first served.

They're reserved for shipping to stores not sold in hand. These people wont be able to get their CPUs until the 6th.

Soldato
Well, I don't particularly like it, but why would there be a law against it?
People sell stuff for profit. Other people buy it. It's only possible due to limited supply and people willing to pay over the odds.
Just accept that there are people with money to burn, who will essentially generate the demand, and other people are going to supply that and make a profit if they can.

The rest of us just have to be patient, wait for supplies to increase, and then the issue goes away.

Still frustrating though when you know there's new kit out there than you can't get your hands on :)

Note, I would say that it would be preferable if retailers limited staff sales to 1, and also prevented selling on for say 6 months. But to be honest, I don't hugely begrudge someone working at that retailer on probably a below average wage, making some additional cash from the pocket of someone who's probably overpaid with money to burn.

Associate
Like come on now......as much as I despise the practice, why would there be a law to stop someone from selling something they legally bought?? We're not talking about medical masks or cancer treatment, where artificial shortage to create profit actually kills people - it's a CPU. If we don't buy it now, we'll buy it in few weeks, I'll be on this forum complaining all day but ultimately in the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal. If you bought something, you should have the right to sell it. Why would the law be involved here??

Soldato
I guess there are some similarities with those event ticket selling websites. I didn't follow it, but didn't they introduce new regulations there?
I know this doesn't compare, as the scales of sales are quite different.

Associate
Guys, am I completely mad? :D I've been sitting on various components on a new build over the last 7 weeks. The mobo, ram and rtx 3080 I received last week, so just the CPU needed.
I purchased a 3700x last night, as I really need to get the PC built this weekend. It's more of a back-up, just in case I can't get a 5800x tomorrow.
Obviously I can return the 3700x, but do you reckon I'll regret it if I end up keeping it???
I think the wait to get my 3080 has driven me to insanity!
Components so far: 850 psu, x570 Tomahawk, 32gb 3600 ram, evo plus 1tb m.2, rtx 3080 fe.

Associate
I've been sitting on various components on a new build over the last 7 weeks. The mobo, ram and rtx 3080 I received last week, so just the CPU needed.
Almost the same here, except that I have a 3070, and am waiting for a colleague to get a 5800X so I can have his old 3600X for my new build :)

Associate
Guys, am I completely mad? :D I've been sitting on various components on a new build over the last 7 weeks. The mobo, ram and rtx 3080 I received last week, so just the CPU needed.
I purchased a 3700x last night, as I really need to get the PC built this weekend. It's more of a back-up, just in case I can't get a 5800x tomorrow.
Obviously I can return the 3700x, but do you reckon I'll regret it if I end up keeping it???
Components so far: 850 psu, x570 Tomahawk, 32gb 3600 ram, evo plus 1tb m.2, rtx 3080 fe.

I'm pretty much in the exact same boat except 3090FE and sitting on a returnable 3900X pending tomorrow. If I can't get one tomorrow then the 3900X is getting opened, I can't let this obsession since end of Aug carry on any more!

Associate

Same here with a 3090. I've not even checked it works..

Soldato
If you've got the money, and absolutely have to build the PC soon, use the 3700x now, and get a 5800x at some point in the future when availability is good.
If you can't spare the money, wait for the 5800x, or use the 3700x long term.

I personally regret overspending more than I do not having something.

Soldato
Just use the bits you’ve already got guys and sit back and enjoy it. Honestly, been through this so many times every generation. You can always buy a 5000 cpu next year.

Associate
If stock is a s***show tomorrow, I'll definitely be tempted to pick up a 3000 series. For similar reasons to others above, had the idea of a new build in my head for so bloody long, I just want it to be finished :D

Back
Top Bottom