• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5800x turning off randomly either when idle or gaming

Associate
Hi all,

Need some help if you can please.
I have a 5800x
When I idle, leaving the PC on for a few hours. I come back and the screen won't come on. It's dead, have to hard reset to get it back. My streamdeck device shows live time on its LCD and i can see the exact time of it crashing, since the time is stuck. Only a hard reset gets it back.

Other times, I'm playing some valorant and my PC just locks up. The entire PC loses power and gets into a state where I can only pull the cable out of the back and put it back in, to get the power button to work, to actually turn the PC back on.

Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS AM4
CPU: 5800x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB 3600MHz

All stock.

Any help appreciated!

Associate
OP
My eventlog:

1.. The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. (09:40:50am this morning)

2. The previous system shutdown at 09:20:11 on ‎25/‎09/‎2021 was unexpected.
Not sure why #2 says it was shutdown at 9:20:11, when it was actually 09:40 and yes my w32 time is correct.

i did check this, both system and app log, but nothing but reactive messages after, nothing before to indicate.
Says to me it hard locks before any logs are written.

Thoughts?

Associate
OP
I did use PBO and curve optimizer as soon as I got it.... which is what I thought these issues were from.
I've since, done a bios reset and everything is back to stock.

Issues persist though. I've just dropped memory from 3600 > 3200 to see if that helps.

Associate
OP
ok thanks dude.

I'll let it run for today and will check back later, thanks for the help! Hope this resolves it :)

Speak to you soon no doubt.

Associate
OP
As described it sounds exactly like instability from curve optimizer. When on light transient loads cpu boosts to max but doesn't get enough voltage.

higher LLC made things more stable (counterintuitively) for me when playing with CO.

There were couple cases when Zen3 behaved like this at stock and had to be RMAd.

Oh really, i'll investigate this after the next crash. Thanks!

Associate
OP
Same just happened idling.
Crashed at 16:49... and I realised about 5 mins ago.
No eventlogs to indicate anything.

How do i go about putting a bit more volts in this thing?
Cheers!

Associate
OP
Ok, thanks all.
PBO Curve optimizer enabled, all cores +20
Will see if that helps for now.
If it does, i'll drop it until the crashing starts again, in order to try to keep lower temps on top. But it'll be good to see if it's this to start with. :)
Thanks again!

Associate
OP
What cooler are you using and what are temps? Both CPU and ambient

steady 41-42C at idle. I have AIDA64 running a http server, which my raspberry pi has an LCD attached, showing my sensor info. I can see the CPU is barely touched in most things and I'm not in high temps while gaming.
Got a corsair AIO, 360 radiator and a load of fans. So temps is not the problem. I always touch the side of the case when it crashes and its just luke warm, rather than hot at all.
Those types of crashes can also be caused by bad ram, worth running an overnight memtest 86 to eliminate that possibility, but those random crashes especially at idle could very well be bad ram, I had a simiar experience with ram being the culprit, system was totally stable with new ram.

I'll give that a go, if this crashes again now I'm +20 on the curve. Been stable for a few hours so far.

Did you do a fresh install of windows when you swapped that lot?
Yes sir.

Intel's CPU's are also unlocked and you get the same problems with them if you mess about and don't get it right, i just quoted a post where the complainant has push the undervolt curve too far, if he backs it off a bit he will be fine.

Its all part of the learning experience for people, its not helpful for people who (with respect) don't know what they are talking about to go in to these threads saying its a problem with the CPU, it isn't.

Take 100 Mv off your CPU Volts, watch what happens.

I think the only issue I have with this setup, is that it's all set to defaults... and it's always happened on this chip/board.
My intel setup was totally stable at stock speeds and only ever saw crashes when I pushed it too far.

I think if I can't get this resolved within the next week or so, i'm probably just gonna pack it up and switch it out for an intel set again, since that's where my confidence lays.

Associate
OP
No worries!

Thanks though, my idling issue has been fixed! (+10 on curve optimizer now) woohooo
What is left though and I initially thought it was all part of the same issue, but it's not.

Idling issue - fixed
Gaming - random hard-locks remain.

Playing valorant night before last - locked up 3 times within 4 hours.
Playing valorant last night - locked up once and seemed to stop as soon as I limited fps to 120.
I'll see if the limits stop the hard-locking... and if it does, i'll start some gpu testing avenues.

Thanks chaps, very useful so far!

Associate
OP
What PSU are you using? If an older model PSU you will need to change a setting in the motherboards bios called " power supply idle control" set it to typical. That will stop the system locking up when it goes into low power mode, old psus can't deal with the low power use at idle states of ryzen.

Power supply idle control is a motherboard setting for older (or cheaper) power supplies. A power supply requires a positive power draw to continue to feed power to the motherboard, if it detects a low power draw it assumes that the motherboard is in sleep mode, so it turns off until there's noticeable power draw. The problem is that older power supplies were designed where a minimum draw setting may be 5w, whereas a newer motherboard and CPU may only draw 1w at idle. So Idle control is used when your computer actually powers off instead of going to sleep on idle - it sets the threshold of low power draw at idle to like 7.5w so it won't trigger the PSU to turn off.

I've set this to typical now. Hopefully that'll stabilize it a little more too. Thanks!

Associate
OP
If you have to use optimizer to ADD voltage to get it stable at stock then that's hot garbage, time to RMA

What do I RMA though? CPU or board?
I don't mind having the optimizer curve set to +10, if that's what keeps me stable in fairness.
I guess it would mean me being without a gaming machine for awhile, for something I can fix with a tweak.
The worst issues are ones that we can mostly fix, because until it's actually preventing me from doing something long-term, it won't really get RMA'd.

So far though, no idle crashes since I'm on +10. No harm in running that to fix the idle issue, is there?

Associate
OP
Have you tried using the XMP profile setting for the RAM? Try that first if you haven't, this is a different issue, but in this MSI X570S problem, no XMP profile was set for his old RAM in the BIOS. He set the XMP profile and it worked straight away >> https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-problem-installing-windows-via-usb.18938398/

Also, which BIOS are you running at the moment? It looks like there has been 14 BIOS updates since the inital release of the motherboard. The latest official is 7C37vAE, dated 1 July 2021, there's also a 7C37vAF3(Beta version), dated 27 Sept 2021.

Link to BIOS updates >> https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PLUS#down-bios

Wonderful, I've just downloaded and installed the latest.
I did a bios update a few months ago when I had the board first. I had the previous version installed, which was released in Jan I think. Lets hope this new one helps!
I think I'll give my machine a once over with something like a few rounds of 3dmark, to see how it copes under stress.

In fact, I may run prime95 for awhile, just to stress mem/cpu first. Then onto graphics with 3dmark, maybe I can narrow it down to a component that way.

Edit: I've got XMP set and I've tried both 3600 and 3200
RAM = Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 16GB 3600MHz

Associate
OP
One thing worth mentioning, which is vital I think.
When my pc crashes during gaming - all lights go off and I can't turn it on by the power button on the case until I unplug the power cable and place it back in again.
Could be a PSU issue perhaps?
I'm thinking the board would still turn the PC back on from power button, if it was anything else?

Back
Top Bottom