• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5800x very high idle/browsing temps!? Help

Associate
Hi

I am getting very high temps with my 5800x & can't figure out why. It currently idles around 60-65c, and just browsing chrome etc, it is around 70c...

Gaming at only 50% ish CPU usage is around 80c+

I always used to idle at 30-40c and gaming loads around 65c when using the 1700, 2700x, 3700x etc.

I have PBO 2 enabled, with a negative offset of 20 currently ( stil testing) but hasn't helped much

I have a Corsair 460x case, with 6 fans in, (2 been used by the h100i AIO cooler, with front placing)

i have Icue settings set to extreme currently for the pump ( around 34c Coolant Temp, Pump RPM 2800, and fans are 17800rpm each)

My 3090 GPU runs cooler than the CPU, doesn't seem right.

I have reseated the CPU which makes no difference.

Any ideas on how to brings the temps down? 70c browsing and 80+c gaming just seems way too high with a AOI pump and standard ryzen settings, with PBO enabled...

Soldato
80C while gaming seems pretty toasty though I have seen mine go over 70C. They do run pretty hot, with light loads such as browsing causing voltages to spike above 1.4 and all the heat to dissipate from such a small surface area. I recently rebuilt waterloop and while the GPU temps are massively improved the 5800X runs basically same temps as it did on the Noctua NH D15 air cooler.

Make sure it really is idle and not some background process running however as 60-65C idle is too high. You can also try setting some limits in PBO menu such as something like 90 EDC and adjust up/down based on temps/perf.

Associate
Hi

I am getting very high temps with my 5800x & can't figure out why. It currently idles around 60-65c, and just browsing chrome etc, it is around 70c...

Gaming at only 50% ish CPU usage is around 80c+

I always used to idle at 30-40c and gaming loads around 65c when using the 1700, 2700x, 3700x etc.

I have PBO 2 enabled, with a negative offset of 20 currently ( stil testing) but hasn't helped much

I have a Corsair 460x case, with 6 fans in, (2 been used by the h100i AIO cooler, with front placing)

i have Icue settings set to extreme currently for the pump ( around 34c Coolant Temp, Pump RPM 2800, and fans are 17800rpm each)

My 3090 GPU runs cooler than the CPU, doesn't seem right.

I have reseated the CPU which makes no difference.

Any ideas on how to brings the temps down? 70c browsing and 80+c gaming just seems way too high with a AOI pump and standard ryzen settings, with PBO enabled...

It's 100% right :)

In comparison with these 5xxx chips it's very easy to transfer heat off the GPU silicon. The best way to observe this is a complete watercooling loop with a GPU and CPU in it. I have a 2080Ti in my loop with a 5950x and 3 radiators with a D5 pump. 2x360 and 1x120. Even with my 2080Ti overclocked and running at 130% power level, it runs around 45~51 degrees depending on the game. My 5950x on the other hand is running at 65~75 degrees depending on the game. Water temps can be anywhere from 33 degrees up to 38~39 degrees (it is summer) depending on my fan/pump curve.

If I do CPU stability testing in like AIDA/OCCT/Prime95 I can pump out 75~85 degrees on the CPU while the water temp is still 33~38 degrees.

Spikes on idle/when web browsing can really just be ignored, it's just the way the chips work. You can do some things to help your temps, like working on a stable undervolt curve. Anything else will start to hurt your single core boost performance just to see "lower numbers" on brief spikes of CPU use. Is that worth it? No. The chips are operating within spec at these temps and performance is king.

Other than that AMD has tuned this silicon to either max out power draw for boosting or max out thermals for boosting. Whatever comes first. For most people with adequate cooling it will be power limits. If these chips are thermal throttling (hitting like 90 degrees) your cooling just isn't adequate or fans need to be run higher.

Since upgrading from a 3900XT which I thought ran hot (my 5950x is like up to 10 degrees hotter) I've had to let my brain retune itself and not worry so much about CPU temps. As long as they are not constantly in the mid to high 80s and/or approaching thermal limits doing normal tasks.

50s, 60s and 70s are completely normal. 80s can be normal depending on what is going on, but if you're in mid 80s doing normal tasks probably time to look at running a better fan curve. It's still within spec and won't be throttling much till 90, but decent cooling setups should keep these chips nearer to mid 70s to low 80s under high load.

I could add another radiator and dual pump and it wouldn't do much. Transferring heat quickly off a 7nm chip with as many cores and high frequency as these 5xxx chips run on is just very challenging and that is why all these temps are normal.

Hope this alleviates any concerns you have.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks Guys, I thought as much, so really there is very little I can do to be honest,

The current weather doesn't help I guess, even with aircon on my room is between 27-29c according to my aircon unit, like been in an oven, im sure once the temps drop then the CPU temps will drop too,

Generaly browsing currently it seems to be between 55-70c just fluctuating, gaming is fluctuating between 75-82c

WHen its not usually this hot outside the GPU and CPU used to sit around 70-75c each gaming

I could try play with a curve more in PBO but not sure really what im doing, i just followed an undervolt tutorial on youtube and used the same settingss, negative offset of 20, PC crashed on 30 but so far 20 is stable...

RKJCclc.png

This is just browsing on youtube, extended desktop, 2 windows open... discord etc open too.

Just seems so excessive, the kind of temps i'd expect while gaming!?

Associate
Thanks Guys, I thought as much, so really there is very little I can do to be honest,

The current weather doesn't help I guess, even with aircon on my room is between 27-29c according to my aircon unit, like been in an oven, im sure once the temps drop then the CPU temps will drop too,

Generaly browsing currently it seems to be between 55-70c just fluctuating, gaming is fluctuating between 75-82c

WHen its not usually this hot outside the GPU and CPU used to sit around 70-75c each gaming

I could try play with a curve more in PBO but not sure really what im doing, i just followed an undervolt tutorial on youtube and used the same settingss, negative offset of 20, PC crashed on 30 but so far 20 is stable...

RKJCclc.png

This is just browsing on youtube, extended desktop, 2 windows open... discord etc open too.

Just seems so excessive, the kind of temps i'd expect while gaming!?

My CPU temp stats from the past 15 hours

0NUP2je.png

AMD really have just created these chips to "let her rip" so to speak. If the chip can push the boost clocks and there is thermal overhead, it will, up until it hits power limits. You might have a well binned chip that just want to run as fast as it can and if there is thermal overhead it will get the all clear to do just that unless you artificially limit power limits. Which you can do if you want lower temps, but you'd just be taking away from performance.

OkltKU9.png

That is my CPU spikes across all cores, so the kind of frequencies hit when browsing on the desktop for seconds here and there to finish tasks as quickly as possible.

Keep in mind I'm on a loop with 3 rads, a D5 pump and I set my fan curves to ramp up if they need to. While I like things quiet its the summer and my ambient temp too is higher than normal. Damn heatwave :cry:

A max of 78 is "nothing". My max is 79.3 on a custom loop!

Associate
OP
Hmm yes I see what you mean! least it don't seem there anything to worry about, can mainly ignore temps with these CPUs as long as cooling is working as it should and it doesn't shoot up until it throttles itself.

I tested Prime 95 last night and a few minutes in it was hovering around 88c

Associate
Hmm yes I see what you mean! least it don't seem there anything to worry about, can mainly ignore temps with these CPUs as long as cooling is working as it should and it doesn't shoot up until it throttles itself.

I tested Prime 95 last night and a few minutes in it was hovering around 88c

Normal again. Prime95 is brutal to CPUs and will cause most to hit thermal limits and underclock. On a custom loop with a good number of rads and running fans on an optimal curve you might get Prime95 in the low to mid 80s. On an AIO high 80s and even into 90s will be quite normal unless you limit power draw.

Speaking of those limits, a good video to watch https://youtu.be/dU5qLJqTSAc

For testing core stability with an undervolt I recommend this https://github.com/sp00n/corecycler/releases It actually uses Prime95, but sets it up in a way where it runs on one core only for a cycle of continual 6 minute intervals to try and find out what cores might be unstable on an undervolt curve.

Soldato
This very same query or concern from people has come up a few times recently, not surprising given the heat I suppose, I'm going to more or less copy and paste my last post on the subject and how to get those temperatures down ...or the performance up, it's all about thermal headroom actually.

These temperatures, while a little high perhaps really don't sound especially unusual for a 5800X, particulary in this heat using default PBO settings like that, they do run warm. It doesn't look like anyone has actually explained to you how you can use AMD's thermal design limits and Precsion Boost Overdrive 2 to deal with this though. The guy above mentioned the EDC, which is correct but that alone doesn't tell you much.

For a start, the reason we use PBO 2's Curve Optimiser for this is because of the way Ryzen 3 handles power relative to operating frequency which becomes important when the boost algorithm is factored in and it always is as that's how these CPU's work, and Curve Optimiser is allowing us to alter this. So the negative curve setting is basically telling the CPU to boost using less power, the default is set high enough that even a very poorly binned chip should have no problems hitting the numbers on the box, most will do rather better than that though, when I say better I mean do it while needing less power or use the same power to go higher. There will come a point where it can't maintain the boost clock anymore and it will no-longer be able to boost as high of course when dialing in a negative and there is also a point where it will do it but isn't quite stable aswell and you may sea WHEA errors, this is a bit less obvious though tbh and requires some testing.

EDC = Electrical Design Current (This is the peak current supplied under maximum all core boost)
TDC = Thermal Design Current (This is the maximum amount of current supplied under a thermally constrained scenario, so this setting will be used to bring down temps when the CPU is being maxed out for long periods of time)
PPT - Package Power Tracking (This is the maximum amount of power in WATTS that the whole CPU package is allowed to pull, the other two are more important than this one to the 90c peaks you are seeing but this number needs to be higher than your EDC.

Bear in mind if you use the Boost Override settings to actually increase overall clockspeed, you wont be able to be quite so aggressive with the negative curve, as it will need more power to hit and sustain higher clock speeds. I wouldn't worry about this for now though, better to just get your temperatures at stock speeds down first and then figure out how much more performance you might be able to get later if you're interested. You may just find using a negative of -12 or -15 with something like 90 for the TDC and 110-115 for the EDC works well enough for you as is, leave PPT at around 140 and just forget about it, but you can fine tune it much more than that if you wish and do it on a per core basis.

I would recommend you watch this video, it's the best guide to using PBO 2 I have seen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU5qLJqTSAc and it explains what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom