• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
I had an email from a competitor this morning saying that the 7950x3d was back in stock (Not ever told them I was interested in it) and when I clicked on the link, it said pre order... so I guess it might be their April fools joke :cry: They have expected delivery on the 7th April... I don't believe that!
The place I bought mine from (on launch day)* Had said Mar 22 for restock. Then it said Apr 7. Now it says Apr 16-30 (but I am *really* hoping that the Apr 16th is the time frame for 'if you order now'; and the Apr 7 replenish (if it happens!) will fulfil my back-order. (eyeroll)

*I bought it on launch day. Had it in basket when it was still in stock. paid for it. Couple hours later, got an email that there was an issue with payment. But they didn't hold the order! So by the time I sorted the payment, they were OOS. I know it's just automated order processing, but a shame they didn't hold the order until it was properly cancelled or properly paid for!

Associate
It's frustrating there's no ETA. I held off buying on launch day because I knew I'd be away for 2 weeks and wouldn't be able to hold the delivery that long. Wish I had now!

Seems to be plenty of 7900x3d stock around. I wonder if yields are poor for ccx dies with 8 working cores which is causing the delay and abundance of 7900x3ds.

Associate
I have never found a situation where 8 cores are not more than enough to run the game and a dozen browser tabs, Discord, Youtube... all at the same time.

5800X

If you're gaming, its the sweet spot.

Yes true and I expect that will be the case for a long time to come given this news if it is indeed true:

Ryzen 8000 aka Zen 5 which is 2 years away still only going to have 8 cores per chiplet.

Given the cross latency penalty is high and games are so latency sensitive in general, hard to imagine developers are going to make any games that meaningfully benefit form more than 8 cores anytime in the next 5 years. Its already hard enough to develop games to use 8 threads as it is.

So I guess my 13900KS with e-cores disabled and P cores overclocked and ring overclocked is very future proof for if this news is indeed true.

Soldato
Yes true and I expect that will be the case for a long time to come given this news if it is indeed true:

Ryzen 8000 aka Zen 5 which is 2 years away still only going to have 8 cores per chiplet.

Given the cross latency penalty is high and games are so latency sensitive in general, hard to imagine developers are going to make any games that meaningfully benefit form more than 8 cores anytime in the next 5 years. Its already hard enough to develop games to use 8 threads as it is.

So I guess my 13900KS with e-cores disabled and P cores overclocked and ring overclocked is very future proof for if this news is indeed true.

You say future proofing but it's just about cores , you get other advancements such as IPC etc

Look at 8 cores CPUs in the past to the ones we have now

Associate
You say future proofing but it's just about cores , you get other advancements such as IPC etc

Look at 8 cores CPUs in the past to the ones we have now

Of course not just about cores and yeah IPC is a big one and even more important.

Though someone 9900K can still do fine with minimal bottlenecks today at 4k with A 4090 where as if they had an 8 core 6900K or Haswell-E 8 core with 15% worse IPC, they are going to struggle.

Thing is Raptor Cove has top of line IPC today.

Yes Zen 5 down the line will beat it by 15-20% in IPC. Zen 5 is going to beat Zen 4 by 20-25% in IPC. Since Raptor Lake P cores have 5 to 10% better IPC than Zen 4 and Zen 5 will beat Zen 4 by 20-25% UIPC, it stands to reason Raptor Lake P cores will be 15-20% behind in IPC.

Unless video cards are so severely bottlenecked at 4K that 15-20% IPC is not going to break my 13900KS in games.

Just like today, Ryzen 5000 has worse IPC than Golden Cove and Raptor Cove by 15%, yet iut spanks Coffee Lake IPC by 19% so those who purchased Ryzen 5800X 2 years ago were well future proofed for RTX 4090 at 4K as it runs that very well with not bottlenecks.

So I got much better IPC than Zen 3 and much faster clocks so I should be good at 4K for next GPUs.

Though if going below 4K every CPU in existence is a bottleneck for RTX 4090.

Associate
I think the point is there's a line to this though. It makes sense controlling supply against the demand to keep the price up in general. However in this case it feels like there's just no supply at all anyway so it can create the opposite effect where people will just look elsewhere since you just don't believe you'll be able to get one any time soon. Like it's been a month at this point and most places have either gotten zero deliveries or one small delivery, it doesn't make you optimistic. It's not like Intel are that much worse in most games either, and it's a bit cheaper, especially when you take into account that most people will probably have to buy a motherboard too - can't imagine many interested are already on AM5.

The only conclusion I can draw really is that they had a lot of the 7900x3d they wanted to sell, and this was the only way to do it, lol. Suddenly it looks okay value if you heavily play one of the games that really benefits from the cache and it's the only new x3d cpu you can get combined with the recent price drops.

it’s a knifes edge they walk though. I’ve been waiting for a 7950x3d restock since launch and am near the end of my patience. At some point in the coming week or two I am going to just say ’screw it’ and pick up a 13700k or 13900k which are all readily available.

Last edited:
Associate
it’s a knifes edge they walk though. I’ve been waiting for a 7950x3d restock since launch and am near the end of my patience. At some point in the coming week or two I am going to just say ’screw it’ and pick up a 13700k or 13900k which are all readily available.
Oh yeah I mean that's what I said, I think that's what these supply issues are going to cause really. People might just go to Intel instead because it's not like they're hugely better in most cases.

Associate
i am optimizing my 7950x3d now and have set the CO to -25 all core. It ran through c23, y-chruncher and corecycler. also some gaming seems to work well. i'm thinking now to check each core manually... what did you guys do? allcore yay or nay?
also, should i see some performance increase by lowering the CO by -25 or is this just to optimize temps and power consumption? with my cooling i didnt reach the templimit at stock and it seems like there is no increase performancewise... do i have to increase the mhz-offset aswell to see some gains?

Soldato
Nope. I've not watched it. But, did he do anything to it, or was it just running stock?

Apparently running stock, nothing unusual with it day to day use. There was some concern in regards with its thermal limit before shut down despite what you set in the bios it would still hit over 110c before it shuts down which is odd though im not familiar with AMD's thermal limits.

Associate
Apparently running stock, nothing unusual with it day to day use. There was some concern in regards with its thermal limit before shut down despite what you set in the bios it would still hit over 110c before it shuts down which is odd though im not familiar with AMD's thermal limits.
Interesting.. So far I've had no issues at all with my 7900x. Thanks for sharing though.

Soldato
Had fun building, testing and comparing my 13900k and 7950X3D with my 4090 Strix the last week. TLDR is, pretty much identical gaming performance overall, though with the 13900k consuming 100-180W (depending on game) and the 7950X3D 60-70W. Amazing level of efficiency and IMO AMD win this round by a large margin.

Had no issues, crashes or drama of any kind, just Intel levels of stability.

Few pics

pbg50BV.jpg
vvG77W6.jpg
y8iJvpz.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom