• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
They all should and mine does at stock after a fresh Windows 11 install. It didn't on my 2.5 year old install which started out life on a different motherboard and CPU. The only reason why I did a fresh install was because Geekbench V6 was showing a much lower score than normal 13000 as opposed to 20000 which I now get.

I only tested OCCT again for the hell of it and it passed. In future when changing motherboards I will do a fresh install, it only took me about 4 hours to reinstall everything which is not to bad if only doing every few years.

Never realised that transferring an old Windows install to new hardware would cause this issues. But the advice has always been, do a fresh install after changing hardware.

Yeah, 100% recommend a new install of Windows when it comes to these cache CPUs, far too much can get misconfigured in the passover, especially with old drivers/configs.

In general a new install is a good idea even with a motherboard change, but it's even more crucial with CPUs, especially if you're going to these 2 CCD 7950x3D's which do a lot of voodoo on the software end to try and juggle which CCD to prioritize depending on what is running in Windows.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah always had a feeling it was a software issue, although I couldn't prove it. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to RMA because it was likely to happen again. It could happen to anyone given the right set of circumstances.

Associate
Yeah, 100% recommend a new install of Windows when it comes to these cache CPUs, far too much can get misconfigured in the passover, especially with old drivers/configs.

In general a new install is a good idea even with a motherboard change, but it's even more crucial with CPUs, especially if you're going to these 2 CCD 7950x3D's which do a lot of voodoo on the software end to try and juggle which CCD to prioritize depending on what is running in Windows.
This ^^^^^

Always do a fresh install of windows. Especially when changing hardware!

Soldato
Always do a fresh install of windows. Especially when changing hardware!
Best thing to do if changing motherboard and CPU is to boot into Windows with the new hardware and let Windows automatically sort itself out. Install all motherboard drivers then do a reactivation due to hardware change. You can do this if your install is tied to your Microsoft account.

Then use Microsoft’s media creation tool to create a bootable USB install stick, I say USB as I had an issue installing off a DVD whereby it hung whilst copying files off the DVD. You will need at least an 8GB USB stick.

I found using a USB stick was quicker anyway. Once you’ve installed Windows you will be automatically activated.

Associate
I suppose testing the 7950x3d at stock would be the first thing to do. Just make sure you install the chipset drivers from AMD for your board, game bar is on etc and run some tests. If it fails more than one at stock it would indicate an issue.

Don’t worry too much before getting it though. Everything could be fine, and you’ve just grabbed yourself a bargain.

Good luck!
You were right, all runs perfectly, even setting Expo on the RAM at 6400 CL32 - given what I've read, I'm chuffed with that! - Might start tweaking now!

Associate
The 7950x3D is a beast of a processor, especially with effeciency, it's just brought down a bit by what seems to be iffy QA and AMD almost accepting it being a 'beta product' line. No doubt 3D cache will be far more ready to go with the coming releases when it comes to 2CCD.

Some of my benches for what is likely my "final" memory/PBO profile

3FrffV4.png

LAVr99D.png

KIrJP04.png

I think these tests are heavily influenced by PBO, but obviously the memory helps.

I ordered this from OCUK and they've assured me the stock was coming soon https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ther...water-block-rgb-sockel-am5-coo-tgz-00603.html

Will be fun to delid and direct die cool, haven't done that with a CPU before!

Soldato
In what use cases?

He means errors at stock in OCCT Extreme Variable Large Test on Corecycler and others. I had the same problem but a fresh windows install solved it. AMD are being blamed for the problem when it’s not their fault.

Quite a lot have RMA’d their CPU in the hope of getting one which passes it at stock, mine didn’t either initially until I did a fresh windows install. A by product of which was that it now passes the aforementioned test.

Soldato
He means errors at stock in OCCT Extreme Variable Large Test on Corecycler and others. I had the same problem but a fresh windows install solved it. AMD are being blamed for the problem when it’s not their fault.

Quite a lot have RMA’d their CPU in the hope of getting one which passes it at stock, mine didn’t either initially until I did a fresh windows install. A by product of which was that it now passes the aforementioned test.

It’s usually a case of welcome to the wonderful world of windows and its middleware.

Associate
In what use cases?

The 7900X3D is looking like a bargain.

I wouldn't touch a 7900X3D personally, get 8 3D cache cores either by going for the 7800x3D or spending a bit more on the 7950x3D.

It’s usually a case of welcome to the wonderful world of windows and its middleware.

While I don't doubt Windows installs that have had hardware changes/some who joined AM5 early and went through chipset/BIOS issues end up having jank (so clean install for hardware changes), the issue with the AVX2 testing is more about the way some cores have been binned on CCD1. It appears they don't take enough voltage and end up erroring. It's no surprise it tends to be the cores that are identified as the best cores.

I don't believe these issues are as widespread with 7950x's, hence, pinpointing the balancing act AMD have done to bring 3D cache to a 2 CCD processor (effectively sticking 3D cache on a 7950x).

Not too much uses AVX2 code so chances are lots of regular people will enjoy their 7950x3Ds as is, some won't even use PBO. But anyone overclocking/tinkering is unlikely to want to accept a chip that can't pass an industry standard like Prime95 at stock. Especially when other 7950x3Ds pass just fine.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I wouldn't touch a 7900X3D personally, get 8 3D cache cores either by going for the 7800x3D or spending a bit more on the 7950x3D.

Yeah the performance on the 7900X3D is a bit all over the place, but they have dropped the price a fair bit to try and compete with the 14700K with it. Really they need to drop the price on the 7950X3D a bit though as it makes up for the areas the 7800X3D drops back 1-2 generations in performance outside of gaming.

Caporegime
I solved the OCCT extreme variable errors with a fresh install of Windows. I fail to see how they have iffy QA.
A lot of these users were running PBO too which is over clocking. The actual number running pure stock is likely much smaller than claimed. My CPU has issues with AVX2 with PBO +200 but runs it fine stock. That said there will always be a small number of faulty runs that fail at stock.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I tested a 7900X3D and once tuned it was only a few percent give or take slower than my 7950X3D in games. However it is a bit niche as for gaming 8 cores is better so the 7800X3D would be a tad faster whe co
Paring the two. It’s still the third best gaming CPU though even with those 6 cores. The VCache works magic even with only 6.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I tested a 7900X3D and once tuned it was only a few percent give or take slower than my 7950X3D in games. However it is a bit niche as for gaming 8 cores is better so the 7800X3D would be a tad faster whe co
Paring the two. It’s still the third best gaming CPU though even with those 6 cores. The VCache works magic even with only 6.

Problem is over a wide range of tasks you get quite a range of results, some stuff it comes close to tanking with performance more inline with the 5000 series, while other stuff it hangs in with the big dogs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom