• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen and Gaming results.

Soldato
So with all this talk is ryzen a good move still? I need a new mobo/cpu and ram as I think my mobo is on its way out. I was going to get the 1700 with prime mobo and 8gb ram. Other option would be the i7 7700k

Soldato
Depends where you are moving from and what you use it for. Rysen really need to be overclocked, unless you just go for top end 1800x. There are still plenty of small problems relating to memory and motherboard, which I'm sure you are aware by now. Be prepared to spend lots of time tweaking and tuning and problem solving, flashing between different BIOS ver. etc. I have the Gigabyte gaming 3 which is relatively problem free, but still not without its quirks.
If you are not bothered with any of this then the i7 7700k is a much more mature platform. Easy oc to 5Ghz and you have the best CPU for games.

Or if you can afford to wait, give it a few months until all the major boards have had several BIOS updates then see what's what :)

Soldato
Depends where you are moving from and what you use it for. Rysen really need to be overclocked, unless you just go for top end 1800x. There are still plenty of small problems relating to memory and motherboard, which I'm sure you are aware by now. Be prepared to spend lots of time tweaking and tuning and problem solving, flashing between different BIOS ver. etc. I have the Gigabyte gaming 3 which is relatively problem free, but still not without its quirks.
If you are not bothered with any of this then the i7 7700k is a much more mature platform. Easy oc to 5Ghz and you have the best CPU for games.

Or if you can afford to wait, give it a few months until all the major boards have had several BIOS updates then see what's what :)

My current system is a I7 950 and im having a number of issues with it which has lead me to believe the mobo is on its way out.

I do gaming mostly but video editing as well (not much).

I never get the chance to upgrade the mobo\cpu and ram so would like to get the best i can for £550 really.

Associate
Yeah memory speed helping performance is interesting.

Wonder how high the support will get on Zen1 with the current motherboards.

For Zen+ they could get some decent gains even if they just pushed for ~4000+ MHz support, even if they barely improved anything else.

Soldato
Depends where you are moving from and what you use it for. Rysen really need to be overclocked, unless you just go for top end 1800x.

I know you do have your 1700 already so you have more experience than I do, however, I am pretty sure there was a video showing r7 1700 review/benchmarks where it played games perfectly fine on stock. I am fairly sure it can handle all games on stock just fine. Yes, the OC gives you few more FPS but if it doesn't make difference in your gaming setup (ie. 80 vs 95fps on 60hz monitor) then why bother wasting electricity.

I think the "need to be overclocked" is extremely subjective. Just because it's slower than 4.5ghz i7700k it doesn't mean that it's "slow".

Soldato
I know you do have your 1700 already so you have more experience than I do, however, I am pretty sure there was a video showing r7 1700 review/benchmarks where it played games perfectly fine on stock. I am fairly sure it can handle all games on stock just fine. Yes, the OC gives you few more FPS but if it doesn't make difference in your gaming setup (ie. 80 vs 95fps on 60hz monitor) then why bother wasting electricity.

I think the "need to be overclocked" is extremely subjective. Just because it's slower than 4.5ghz i7700k it doesn't mean that it's "slow".

You are right, I had my previous 3770k 4.7ghz setup in mind as the benchmark when I said the rysen needed the overclock to keep up in games. It is a very capable chip as is, although a few hundred extra MHz of quick dirty oc can't hurt :p even just running 3.5/3.6 at stock volt is going to help things immensely, again my own opinion of course.

Associate
Video from digital foundry actually suggest 1600X has the same (<5% difference) gaming performance as the 1800X.

At $259 that might be the best Ryzen chip.

+1 I just watched the video and it's this bit.

I will say that this reminds me of Intel CPU performance in games a few years back. The best performers were the quad-core z97 i7s and the x99 i7s with more cores didn't really improve on gaming performance. It may be what we see here with Ryzen. Except it's hexa-core i5 equivalents vs octa-core i7 equivalents.

And to be completely fair, the cheaper CPUs are the most important ones since more people actually buy and use those ones. It doesn't matter as much what the £500 Ryzen does in gaming, that CPU has more of a focus on other tasks. People shouldn't have to spend £500 on a Gaming CPU, I know it always used to be that folks were recommended the top i5 Intel CPUs for gaming as opposed to the i7s, which were more for CPU-reliant tasks like streaming, video encoding, etc. Most folks bought <£200 i5s for gaming PCs and I bet we'll see similar here for Ryzen.

I can't wait for the Ryzen 5 lineup to release and be benchmarked, comparing to both the Ryzen 7 CPUs and Intel i5 CPUs in gaming. Or depending on pricing, even compared to Intel i3, since those now cost as much as the i5 used to. If it's only a few percent under Ryzen 7 for Gaming, then there we go, Ryzen 5 would end up being the bang-for-buck best choice AMD CPU for just gaming.

But that's only a possibility, we won't know for sure how Ryzen 5 fares until it releases and sees the benchmarks. While I have no intention of upgrading from my overclocked i7-4790k anytime soon, the Ryzen 5 lineup is the part of the stack I'm most interested in seeing. Mainly because I know a few folks who would be interested in buying CPUs at that price-point (i.e. more people would buy Ryzen 5 than ryzen 7) and it would be nice if they got a good selection from both Intel and AMD CPUs.

Associate
+1 I just watched the video and it's this bit.

I will say that this reminds me of Intel CPU performance in games a few years back. The best performers were the quad-core z97 i7s and the x99 i7s with more cores didn't really improve on gaming performance. It may be what we see here with Ryzen. Except it's hexa-core i5 equivalents vs octa-core i7 equivalents.

And to be completely fair, the cheaper CPUs are the most important ones since more people actually buy and use those ones. It doesn't matter as much what the £500 Ryzen does in gaming, that CPU has more of a focus on other tasks. People shouldn't have to spend £500 on a Gaming CPU, I know it always used to be that folks were recommended the top i5 Intel CPUs for gaming as opposed to the i7s, which were more for CPU-reliant tasks like streaming, video encoding, etc. Most folks bought <£200 i5s for gaming PCs and I bet we'll see similar here for Ryzen.

I can't wait for the Ryzen 5 lineup to release and be benchmarked, comparing to both the Ryzen 7 CPUs and Intel i5 CPUs in gaming. Or depending on pricing, even compared to Intel i3, since those now cost as much as the i5 used to. If it's only a few percent under Ryzen 7 for Gaming, then there we go, Ryzen 5 would end up being the bang-for-buck best choice AMD CPU for just gaming.

But that's only a possibility, we won't know for sure how Ryzen 5 fares until it releases and sees the benchmarks. While I have no intention of upgrading from my overclocked i7-4790k anytime soon, the Ryzen 5 lineup is the part of the stack I'm most interested in seeing. Mainly because I know a few folks who would be interested in buying CPUs at that price-point (i.e. more people would buy Ryzen 5 than ryzen 7) and it would be nice if they got a good selection from both Intel and AMD CPUs.

Maybe they'll be smart and send out 3200 memory with the 6-core review kits. As well as motherboards with BIOS' that can run it :p

Back
Top Bottom