• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen Architect Jim Keller Joins Intel

Soldato
Apparently Keller won't be working on the CPU core design but more of the SoC integration: https://twitter.com/TMFChipFool/status/989807263681536000

So, Jim Keller at Intel isn't there to work on cores, but on SoC integration. Intel has been trying to develop a good SoC methodology for years but still hasn't quite cracked it. Perhaps Keller will help them get there.

So basically something to compete against IF? Meaning Intel also knows multi chip is the way forward.

Associate
They already have tech like EMIB, Omnipath and the Mesh which they used in their Xeon Phi designs, plus cutting edge foundries (despite the 10nm setbacks), they have all of the tools necessary to create some pretty amazing SoC designs, if that's what Keller will be working on.

Soldato
Perhaps I'm the very few to prefer status quo for hardware - see how long the 2600K and the GTX1080 have lasted without the need of upgrade.

Competition means consumers need to upgrade frequently, suffering from the depreciation of old products.

Soldato
Perhaps I'm the very few to prefer status quo for hardware - see how long the 2600K and the GTX1080 have lasted without the need of upgrade.

Competition means consumers need to upgrade frequently, suffering from the depreciation of old products.
You don't need to update more frequently. Are you really arguing that you prefer no innovation? At what point would you have liked this period of no innovation to begin? Now? 2010? 1990? 1700?

Soldato
You don't need to update more frequently. Are you really arguing that you prefer no innovation? At what point would you have liked this period of no innovation to begin? Now? 2010? 1990? 1700?

At the point of a purchase of a high end system.

If hardware specs advances, then game developers will optimise games for higher spec hardware, making old hardware slower to run newer games.

Soldato
At the point of a purchase of a high end system.

If hardware specs advances, then game developers will optimise games for higher spec hardware, making old hardware slower to run newer games.

That's a non issue. On a 2500k (5years old) + R290 (4.5years old) I can play pretty much everything I've tried so far, including in Eyefinity (from the top of my head) . Long have passed the days of actual need to upgrade.

Last edited:
Associate
You do know how long these things take don't you? We're talking 4/5 years+ before he sees any fruits of his labour.

yeah i'm aware, intel are not going to be starting from scratch and cannot afford to wait 4-5 years, things are moving quickly again in the cpu space.

Soldato
That's a non issue. On a 2500k (5years old) + R290 (4.5years old) I can play pretty much everything I've tried so far, including in Eyefinity (from the top of my head) . Long have passed the days of actual need to upgrade.

Not quite true if you play with 8k resolution - 1080 ti SLI may be faster and playable.

Soldato
I am on 1700, x370 and do not forsee a significant upgrade within 4 years for me, except possibly GPU down the line. Be interesting though to see what intel do develop on the lines of IF.

Soldato
Not quite true if you play with 8k resolution - 1080 ti SLI may be faster and playable.

Of course :))

If you want the maximum out of everything, then you have to throw that money at them quite often, but for the average gamer, there isn't a need to upgrade every year or even every 2 years.

Soldato
what's going on at Intel

The answer is very simple and also worrying at the same time. Jim Keller was brought in to do a root and branch change to Intel's design philosophy. Obviously, that has not worked because at the end of the day, Intel does not want to do what is needed to actually make that change happen.
Keller now knows that, so he's decided "i'm off". When a company is so far up it's own backside it thinks it knows better than the best people it hires, it's only a matter time before that company becomes meaningless in it's own market.

Caporegime
Even more hilarious Raja Koduri is now in charge of Architecture hahahaha

Not sure why that's a bad thing really, people throw "blame" at Raja for Vega but really they were producing a dual purpose gpu with Vega due to budget limitations. Making the best of what they had to work with at the time. It's still a good gpu 3 years later.

Associate
What a surprise I heard nothing on the usual sites about Jim Keller having problems at Intel :eek:
I wonder if its an issue with management up top refusing to implement his ideas.

Back
Top Bottom