Ryzen - BCLK, half-multipliers and domain independence.

Associate
1. Does the AM4 Ryzen platform support half multipliers?
2. Is BCLK over-clocking possible and to what extent?
3. With an unlocked multiplier increasing BCLK can’t offer much in terms of higher CPU clock speeds that can’t be done with a higher multi but would raising it improve performance of any other aspect of the system?
4. Are all the frequency domains independent or would raising BCLK automatically raise other system clocks? Or are there ratios to play with?

As you can see I’ve never used a Ryzen system so have no idea of the inner workings. Thanks.

Associate
ok I am in no means an expert so if anything is wrong I apologize in advance but this is what I think is the current state of zen+ with the new x470 platform.

1. Have no idea
2. yes but only up to around 103
3. It adds latency to memory access and can lead to stability issues. Think only people who want to set high scores in benchmarks that utilize all cores are messing with BCLK to eek out those last few MHZ as games are not seeing benefits from all core overclock and its better to let the new precision boost 2 do its single core boost.
4. I think this is down to the Motherboard implementation. I know the Asus Crosshair Hero VII has 2 clock gens that can run in asynchronous mode.

Hope that helps you.

Soldato
They can be manually set in 25MHz increments, yes. I backed down my 4GHz overclock to 3.925GHz recently as it wasn't enjoying the summer heat (or spring heat I guess).

Associate
OP
Thanks All.

I am running 103.4 bclk on a 2700X at the moment. It basically improves your boost and all core load clocks with appropriate voltages.
I am aware how BCLK impacts the CPU clock speed but curious if raising it changes any other clocks that are synchronous and whether that is useful.

Back
Top Bottom