• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN DDR4 MEMORY, WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW!

Soldato
Yes, because you weren't running a chip where ram speed is directly related to the internal speed of the cpu when you were using ddr3.

Done some more reading, you remember how we would have our ram at some odd ratio, 1333:1000, 800:1333, 566:800, all sorts of odd stuff so that the cpu and ram would sync? Now it's 1:1, your ram speed is directly related the internal CPU speed.

And it's just occurred to be we've been feeding an epic troll for the last day, well played.

I've been reading and I'll be heeding your advice for Threadripper. More often than not faster RAM isn't a lot more than slower RAM unless you compare extremes. I think 3200MHz low latency RAM will be worth that bit extra money over 2400MHz basic RAM. Especially as I make my systems last me a long time!

Associate
I've been reading and I'll be heeding your advice for Threadripper. More often than not faster RAM isn't a lot more than slower RAM unless you compare extremes. I think 3200MHz low latency RAM will be worth that bit extra money over 2400MHz basic RAM. Especially as I make my systems last me a long time!

Threadripper, theoretically, would see even more gains from faster ram than ryzen. This is because it has more ccx units on the chip that are linked by the infinity fabric.

Associate
I am not a troll, please respect my opinions.
Hi

I think you should read the information regarding the Zen architecture and infinity fabric as you seem to not quite understand the points being made to you.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/infinity_fabric
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/microarchitectures/zen

I feel that your reasoning as for why this doesn't make sense are because your understand of the workings is a bit simplified.

Your point that the ram doesn't do processing is correct. From a traditional point of view RAM feeds data into the CPUs. Zen architecture uses CCX modules with 4 CPU cores per module, there are two CCX modules in every consumer zen CPU with a couple of exceptions for the Vega graphics versions. You will always be going across the infinity fabric to perform computation that requires more than a single core. To this end when you run anything intensive you will will likely be running a job across two cores that are on different CCX modules so shared information will be using the infinity fabric.

Infinity fabric runs at half the speed of your ram, so for 3000mhz ram it runs at 1500. With the speed higher you can feed data to the CPU cores quicker, a massive reason why increasing the ram speed can increase your benchmark numbers is because you can feed the data to the CPU faster for processing. Not because the ram processes the data. This concept has more importance on Zen architecture. On Intel CPUs all cores are within the same silicon so you don't get the same speed up.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.eteknix.com/memory-speed-large-impact-ryzen-performance/amp/

If you read the pages linked here I don't imagine you will be confused anymore, but even if you are I would recommend you accept that you're wrong and keep reading, that's how we all learn.

Soldato
Hi

I think you should read the information regarding the Zen architecture and infinity fabric as you seem to not quite understand the points being made to you.

https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/infinity_fabric
https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/microarchitectures/zen

I feel that your reasoning as for why this doesn't make sense are because your understand of the workings is a bit simplified.

Your point that the ram doesn't do processing is correct. From a traditional point of view RAM feeds data into the CPUs. Zen architecture uses CCX modules with 4 CPU cores per module, there are two CCX modules in every consumer zen CPU with a couple of exceptions for the Vega graphics versions. You will always be going across the infinity fabric to perform computation that requires more than a single core. To this end when you run anything intensive you will will likely be running a job across two cores that are on different CCX modules so shared information will be using the infinity fabric.

Infinity fabric runs at half the speed of your ram, so for 3000mhz ram it runs at 1500. With the speed higher you can feed data to the CPU cores quicker, a massive reason why increasing the ram speed can increase your benchmark numbers is because you can feed the data to the CPU faster for processing. Not because the ram processes the data. This concept has more importance on Zen architecture. On Intel CPUs all cores are within the same silicon so you don't get the same speed up.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.eteknix.com/memory-speed-large-impact-ryzen-performance/amp/

If you read the pages linked here I don't imagine you will be confused anymore, but even if you are I would recommend you accept that you're wrong and keep reading, that's how we all learn.

Any chance you can run Thaiphoon Burner to check the chips in your RAM please??

Soldato

Look I'm not bothered, I'm perfectly happy with the 2133 memory I have which is plenty fast enough for me and I can't even be bothered to overclock it. This infinity fabric thing isn't going to speed my machine up 50% if it was that much of an improvement then I'd say yes be overly concerned about it.

Associate
Hello everyone. So I got a good deal on a ryzen 2600x, with Hyperx fury 2666mhz 2x8gb cl16 black ram on a asus rog strix b450-f gaming. All this for around 370GBP.

I was wondering the overclocking capabilities on these rams, would it be possible to get them up to 3000mhz you think? Is it an okay deal?

Thank you all for your time.

Back
Top Bottom