• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen overclocking seems much more binary than Intel?

Soldato
So, I got a new system for work, went for R5 1600.
Started overclocking it (course I did). And found that while 3900Mhz is rock stable at 1.4v (yet to try and bring this down but temps are fine.) but at 4000Mhz - 1.4v it wont even boot. Like, I don't mean windows, I mean cant even get into the BIOS!
Now, fair enough, 3.9Ghz is my limit. I have no issue with that. But just find it odd it's such a difference in behaviour at 100Mhz increase. I'm used to with Intel, if something is rock solid at 3.9Ghz then I would expect it to maybe fail after some stress testing 100Mhz higher, add another 100Mhz and you might not get into windows, add another and it might not boot.
Not complaining, just surprised in the start difference between rock solid and wont even post at 100Mhz increase.

Soldato
So, I got a new system for work, went for R5 1600.
Started overclocking it (course I did). And found that while 3900Mhz is rock stable at 1.4v (yet to try and bring this down but temps are fine.) but at 4000Mhz - 1.4v it wont even boot. Like, I don't mean windows, I mean cant even get into the BIOS!
Now, fair enough, 3.9Ghz is my limit. I have no issue with that. But just find it odd it's such a difference in behaviour at 100Mhz increase. I'm used to with Intel, if something is rock solid at 3.9Ghz then I would expect it to maybe fail after some stress testing 100Mhz higher, add another 100Mhz and you might not get into windows, add another and it might not boot.
Not complaining, just surprised in the start difference between rock solid and wont even post at 100Mhz increase.

Yeah not much overclocking headroom on ryzen. It was designed as a 3ghz cpu so they're already being pushed at stock tbh.

Soldato
OP
Yeah not much overclocking headroom on ryzen. It was designed as a 3ghz cpu so they're already being pushed at stock tbh.
Not so much even the headroom I was getting at (I knew that was that with Ryzen).
Was more suprised at the stark difference between 100Mhz of "totally stable" and "I'M NOT GONA BOOT!!"
Just not used to that with Intel, usually it is more analogue.

Associate
On the contrary i think the new found options the new ryzen stuff gives make overclocking a much more interesting experience.
you can go the old route of setting static speeds for all cores or try letting the cpu do its thing with tweaked xfr settings boosting single core speeds.

Caporegime
They do go higher, of course, on LN2 they clock to 6Ghz its just that they require even more volts when you get past a certain stage.

I can get mine to run stable 3.975Ghz at 1.45v, to round it off to 4Ghz is 1.5v which is too high.
3.9Ghz its happy with 1.4v.

My 4690K was not all that different, 4.5Ghz was fine at 1.25v, 4.6Ghz required 1.35, 4.7Ghz 1.4v and it would biol itself during a cinebench run, like 90+c on a 120m AIO

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Ryzen has a massive voltage wall at around the 3.9-4Ghz mark. If you try 1.45V it'll probably boot. Most people just don't think it's worth the considerably higher voltage and temps for an extra 100MHz.

Associate
I've setup 2 1800X systems in the last month or so and find it odd that even if I reduce the cores to 3x3 I still can't get 4Ghz without silly voltages.

chip 1
1.38 vcore
1.15 soc
1.36 ram
chip 2
1.35 vcore
1.1 soc
1.36 ram
But I agree, very strange chips! I just hope these last for 2/3 years...

Just a side note to anybody reading, I updated from F22 to F23F because I had some random problems, if I used 3 and 4 pin combo fans on the motherboard sometimes the Fans stopped spinning also speeds were all over the place, that seems to sorted now with a lot more calmer fan curve ie I can now ditch the resistors from the intake fans as well. Also the LLC seems a smidge tighter, but I've still not gained anymore headroom on ram or cpu.

Soldato
OP
U forgot that on all reviews all eyzen cpus do stable 4ghz at 1.4 amritw??

Ye all reviews are full of ********
7b5.jpg

Associate
Very chip-dependent I find.
My 4770k ran 4.5 rock solid, all day, every day with reasonable volts and good temps- i.e. plenty of headroom to spare.

Couldn't get 4.6 out of it for love nor money... Oddly, could get it stable at 4.7 or 4.8 but with stupid temps. But 4.6 just wouldn't happen!

Back
Top Bottom