Poll: ***********************S E A R C H -- D I S A B L E D***********************

Who is the most gorgeous?

• Scuzi

Votes: 101 18.4%
  • Jesus

Votes: 96 17.5%
  • Dangerous

Votes: 59 10.7%
  • Gilly

Votes: 178 32.4%
  • Sidney Poitier

Votes: 116 21.1%
  • David Tennant

Votes: 47 8.6%
  • Cliff Richards and the New Seekers

Votes: 105 19.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Capodecina
Soldato
Telescopi said:
You started the attitude with your post, just because I have a different user title doesn't mean I can't bite when provoked.

There's a difference between "can't bite" and "shouldn't bite". I'm actually not talking about you personally, just in general.

The only reason I'm saying this is that I admit in the past that I did have a go at people on my other forum. I was keelhauled for it since I am a representative of that company and I shouldn't be having a go at potential or existing customers. I have since learned to bite my tongue and moderate the board [very effectively, even if I do say so] without being snappy.

Soldato
Telescopi said:
I'm not sure if hardware upgrades alone will really solve the problem in the long term but all options are being looked at atm.

Ahhh, that would explain the spate of recent bannings.......cutting down on numbers to speed the forum up. :cool:

Can't we just delete everything and start from scratch? :)

Suspended
Telescopi said:
I hope I'm not revealing any state secrets, but afaik it's a dual dual core xeon box, scsi raid and 5GB ram - fairly standard server setup.

We stopped pruning when the server was last upgraded so the db size has increased, at 3GB now searching and other intensive processes take so long that locks build up in the database and everything chokes.

I'm not sure if hardware upgrades alone will really solve the problem in the long term but all options are being looked at atm.
Whether a hardware and/or software upgrade will solve the problem I don't know.

However, I do believe that the lack of a search facility on the forum is a major problem and that it appears not to be being taken very seriously - on the whole, I would have to go along with some of malc30's comments.

Sorry - just my tuppence worth :)

So what has changed recently to put the forums in thier currunt state, you say you have stopped pruning recently, what does that mean ?, also you say that "I'm not sure if hardware upgrades alone will really solve the problem in the long term but all options are being looked at atm" :( I don't like the sound of that, I sensed this was bad right from the begginning.

Von Luck said:
Can't we just delete everything and start from scratch? :)

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :( , I said earlier on in this thread that it feels like a nuke is on the way :( .

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Telescopi said:
You started the attitude with your post, just because I have a different user title doesn't mean I can't bite when provoked.

:p Do me a Favour. My attitude was directed at the loss of search/new post button, Your attitude was directed personally at me. Big difference.

Soldato
lowrider007 said:
So what has changed recently to put the forums in thier currunt state, you say you have stopped pruning recently, what does that mean ?, also you say that "I'm not sure if hardware upgrades alone will really solve the problem in the long term but all options are being looked at atm" :( I don't like the sound of that, I sensed this was bad right from the begginning.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :( , I said earlier on in this thread that it feels like a nuke is on the way :( .

Not that option.

Things like replication or 3rd party search tools, removing search from the main database in either case. An increase in hardware power will give everything else a lot of head room but searching 3 million+ posts is always likely to slow things down at some point.

Soldato
lowrider007 said:
ummmm, so why would they of stopped pruning then, I'm guessing then since the last upgrade they thought that the server could handle it.

Indeed, and it did for some time - I think Spie wants to keep the posts now though, thus the looking at other options.

Soldato
Telescopi said:
Not that option.

Things like replication or 3rd party search tools, removing search from the main database in either case. An increase in hardware power will give everything else a lot of head room but searching 3 million+ posts is always likely to slow things down at some point.

so there is light at the end of the tunnel =D ???

Permabanned
Could perhaps exclude posts that are over 90 days old from the default search? This could reduce the amount of calling the database recieves?

Have an option for a "way back" search for the people who want to dig up really old stuff, or perhaps make those kind of searches available for Dons only?

Soldato
iCraig said:
Could perhaps exclude posts that are over 90 days old from the default search? This could reduce the amount of calling the database recieves?

Have an option for a "way back" search for the people who want to dig up really old stuff, or perhaps make those kind of searches available for Dons only?

Some big sites do that and it works well for them, obviously it involves some hacking of the default scripts but what doesn't :)

If you're interested browsing the forums at vbulletin.org is very worthwhile - some of the stuff very big boards have gone through to keep search running is extraordinary.

Soldato
Telescopi said:
Some big sites do that and it works well for them, obviously it involves some hacking of the default scripts but what doesn't :)

If you're interested browsing the forums at vbulletin.org is very worthwhile - some of the stuff very big boards have gone through to keep search running is extraordinary.

sphinx search ?

EDIT:

wehey ocuk is ranked 293 in stats on the vb big boards page !!!!! nice

Last edited:
Soldato
malc30 said:
:p Do me a Favour. My attitude was directed at the loss of search/new post button, Your attitude was directed personally at me. Big difference.

Your angry post was directed at the forums, while the search is beyond my control I still take it personally.

Sorry if my post put your nose out of joint, it was aggressive but wasn't meant to upset anyone. I guess the constant complaining from everybody is getting to me.

It'll be back as soon as it can, Spie knows you want it, a lot, and he'll do what it needs to get it back *without* stopping everything else on the forum, no amount of complaint posts will speed that up.

Soldato
knowlesy said:
sphinx search ?

EDIT:

wehey ocuk is ranked 293 in stats on the vb big boards page !!!!! nice

Would be higher if we didn't prune for so long, must be some serious big iron running those at the top though :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom