S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Lost Alpha

Soldato
OP
I'm playing the story mode where you start off in Cordon near that Army Checkpoint near the overturned 'Death Truck'. Basically it's overturned a some guy has pulled you out of the wreckage and has told you to see a Doctor in the STALKER camp where Sidorovich is.

I didn't even get time to finish reading everything because I was bleeding out so I had to heal, then those little rat things attacked lol.

Honestly i've only played 30 minutes but so far it's amazing. Will post back with more info once i've had a proper go. :p

Soldato
OP
Current Lost Alpha map, missing the 'Construction Site' area. Hoping they'll add that in at a later date.

The map looks massive!

lazonedream.jpg

Soldato
OP
Looking to possibly end up like STALKER 2 now. :(

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1160321&p=36215997&viewfull=1#post36215997

If you don't know who I am, I'm part of the team as a general writer guy and proof-reader. I won't pretend to speak for the team or that I'm the big golden cog in the dev team (at best, I've had input on gameplay and story direction), but I've been watching Lost Alpha grow from a mere dream to something tangible. Yes, we were pretty far in development and looking to release soon, but for some time I've felt an unease settle in the team.

"I don't care about Stalker anymore."

I'm paraphrasing here, but I've heard Dez, Lox, and I must assume Griff and Barin, say this with great weariness. These people are the real deal. They're the ones who made PDA chat; spent hundreds of hours with ******-ass tools rebuilding from naught Deadcity and Darkscape along with fixing old build maps; worked on extensive cutscenes, etc... These are the dreamers who wanted to see the Old Stalker that had been crushed rise again. Never doubt that they wanted to bring it to completion. But slowly, their resolve and motivation and interest was gnawed at. I guess Stalker 2 and GSC giving up the ghost let some of us see the inevitable.

Let's make a few things known:

1. We had the source code for SHOC, CS and COP for some time, which helped us a lot. No, we can't give it to you.

2. Because we were using the source code, we couldn't release for free. LA would've have been on Steam for 10-15$ bucks. This meant we removed any code or w/e that wasn't ours.

3. We had a deadline for August. Everyone was rushing.

4. Our lone programmer, who we desperately needed, has RL stuff. Without him, game is bugged and is missing features.

All this on top of badly coordinated game development, rather sketchy gameplay and point A to point B story that didn't offer much for the Stalker community. Honestly, we've stretched ourselves thin, and despite our goodwill we've reenacted the history of Old Stalker's development.

We had it all. We had the Old Stalker and everything we needed to make the dream live again.

Yet we could not do it.

And even if we took away RL and all that, and whatever legal deal GSC wanted or w/e (never had specifics), we simply don't care anymore. I realized (and assume Dez, etc) that betraying that dream with our indifference can only bring disaster.

Like one example, because we were rushing, Lox implemented an old draft for the "final battle" that was months old and didn't fit anymore with the current story. Actually, the story is ridiculous now because we were all over the place with stupid conspiracy secret stuff that was decided to be added very late in development (which I completely opposed but couldn't talk out of using it).

I could say more, but I won't. We ****ed up, I ****ed up, we got ****ed up. At least I've learned some things on the way as everyone else.

But as I said, Lost Alpha only dies if you let it die. We'll give you what we have. What comes next is up to you.

I know you can do it. You better do it.

I just wish you could see the Zone like I've seen it. It's so beautiful, perfect, nostalgic. It deserves a better end than some cadaver to wonder at, or to mourn over.

...We tried. We really tried.

Soldato
This is the first I have heard of this mod which is a pain as I recently had a clear out and I sold the game. Looks like I'll need to get it again, might wait to see if it comes up on a Steam sale before the mod is released.

Associate
I am really excited by this, I can't believe I've not heard a thing about it, I love the first stalker but it never reached the heights of the original concept, if this can even come close to that it will be amazing.
I recently replayed S:COP with the complete mod which was brilliant, so atmospheric, if they could make a multi-player mod in a similar manner to DayZ it would wipe the floor with it (that's coming from a huge fan of Arma & DayZ) but even single player it's pure gaming gold.

Soldato
OP
I think it might have been a bit of e-drama but I don't have a clue myself as they've not released any details about it. I'm guessing it was just a minor bump in the road, they got back on track and are now releasing it which is good for us because S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 never came to be.

Caporegime
Whether they've delivered the full intended game, or 'only' some of it, either way, it'll be great to let our senses feast on this highly anticipated release. :)

Back
Top Bottom