S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Lost Alpha

Caporegime
This does all looks rather good, but could I ask which one was the actual 'original S.T.A.L.K.E.R game? I assume it was Shadow of Chernobyl, but I have also found Call of Pripya mentioned.

Is it better to play the Shadow of Chernobyl first, in preparation for this new release... and can it be downloaded (or purchased) anywhere than via Steam?

Sorry, if it's a silly question, but I am not an avid follower of this series!

Preferably, play them in this order :

1. Shadow of Chernobyl (the first released)
2. Clear Sky
3. Call of Pripyat

I've done a 'quick' price comparison and it would seem that coolshop is about the cheapest @ around £5.50 (low stocks). You could always have a dig round, you may find it cheaper elsewhere. :)

Soldato
Thanks for the quick reply... I have to say I had never heard of 'CoolShop' before, but as you say, their prices do seem very low, so I have ordered the first game from them.

It does look as if theire are quite a few patches around also, some of which are presumably worth downloading... just so long as they aren't too large! ;)

Soldato
OP
I did start digging around trying to find a download link but had no joy. I haven't given up on it though, too much of a great mod by all accounts to forget it. I'm playing Morrowind with the graphics and sound overhaul mod atm, so won't be looking at it again until after that (should be on my next to play though). Have you tried it?

Btw..did you sort out your Stalker problems, does it still crash etc?

Just found this on a S.T.A.L.K.E.R Soup video mate, it looks like a complete and up to date version if you're still interested.

http://tecnobacon.com/

No idea about the old problems, need to re-install S.T.A.L.K.E.R when LURK 1.2 comes out! :p

Caporegime
I'm playing Oblivion at the moment but I might try and install S.T.A.L.K.E.R to see if it'll work now. If it does then i'll give it a go. :)

Once I finish Morrowind G&SO mod then I'll turn my attention to Stalker. I don't know how long it'll take me to finish Morrowing though, I have a reasonable amount of work on atm. Maybe, 'maybe' at the weekend. :)

Associate
Can you get the game in english? Every video on youtube I look at seems to have the game in russian with menus in englsh :(

Also, how does this game compare to Fallout 3? Can't decide whether to buy this game (Call of Pripyat) or not!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can you get the game in english? Every video on youtube I look at seems to have the game in russian with menus in englsh :(

Also, how does this game compare to Fallout 3? Can't decide whether to buy this game (Call of Pripyat) or not!

Do you mean when you hear the NPC's talk to each other? They always or almost always speak Russian; it's the conversations between your character and some NPC's that will be in English. If you decide to buy, I would start with Shadow of Chernobyl, which although not crucial to the experience, is preferable than beginning with COP imo.

Fallout 3 has more depth to its role playing mechanics, however I found Stalker had the more addictive atmosphere to suit my tastes a little more. Both are brilliant games imo and can be had for very little. You could always get both. :D

Last edited:
Associate
Do you mean when you hear the NPC's talk to each other? They always or almost always speak Russian; it's the conversations between your character and some NPC's that will be in English. I would start Shadow of Chernobyl if you decide to buy, though it's not crucial, but is preferable imo.

Fallout 3 has more depth to its role playing mechanics, however I found Stalker had the more addictive atmosphere to suit my tastes a little more. Both are brilliant games imo and can be had for very little. You could always get both. :D

I've already completed Fallout 3 (and New Vegas) but on console! I was considering buying them again on PC though to tinker with mods,

Are there any mods which translate it all to english?

Could you please explain the differences between Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat? I know next to nothing about these games / the franchise :(

Soldato
As has already been mentioned, if you are considering buying 'Shadow of Chenobyl, have a look at the 'coolshop' website.

Their prices seem to be about the lowest around, and I receive my (shrink wrapped) game the day after I ordered it with free 1st class post.

Haven't had a chance to install it yet though!

Associate
i'll check out that link if I decide to buy

Would still like some details about the games themselves first (SoC and CoP)

Also, are there any coop mods available for any of the games?

Caporegime
i'll check out that link if I decide to buy

Would still like some details about the games themselves first (SoC and CoP)

Also, are there any coop mods available for any of the games?

Check out some reviews for both games, but bear in mind that they will be reviewing Shadow of Chernobyl when it first came out in 2007.

I don't think coop is possible for either game. I've certainly not heard of it anyway.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009

Back
Top Bottom